racket decision

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by shiriblue, Aug 7, 2003.

1. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    I'm having a hard time choosing a racket. I've posed before about choosing a racket, but now im doing it again because my friend lost my Carlton As-Ti somehow. Well at least he paid me back for it.

I found that the carlton didnt suit me very well since i went through 5 strings in one 3 month period, so im looking for more head heavy racket so i don't have to swing so hard.

My problem is the price perfomance ratio and durability/reliability issue.

The 5 choices are:

1. Yonex MP-100 SP for USD $118
    2. Gosen WPP Aermet 5300 for USD $110
    3. YANG-YANG JSmash TM-8K for USD $100
    4. Gosen Titan 5000 for USD $105
    5. Gosen Aermet 4500 for USD $100

If you notice, all of them are power rackets. What's really tempting is the MP-100 for $118, but add shipping and stringing it comes out to be $143. Still cheap for what it is. The reason for me not instantly getting the MP-100 is because I've read they are somewhat fragile as well as the ending price. This investment needs to last me through the next 4 years of college. [I'll be attending San Jose State University]

So which one should I get? Any suggestions would be helpful. I need to make the decision by this friday because this is when my friends and I are ordering the MP-100

Thanks

- Doug

#1 shiriblue, Aug 7, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2003
  2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yangyang JSmash TM8K is the head heavy version of the famous Tactic/JSmash 9000/8500. However, I remember in someone's review, seems this newer model has less playability. I know it really depends on ppl's preference, but just put it into consideration.

Also, seems several rackets u listed are from BadmintonAlley, besides Yonex rackets, other brands will cost u a lot of more to re-string, if u don't like the manufacture default string. According to the website, other brand rackets might cost up to USD$20+ for higher end strings like BG85, etc.

The MP-100 seems a good buy, if u can get cheaper and better string service, and even share the shipping cost with ur friends. Guess u r going for the 2U version?

Good luck.

3. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    Re: Re: racket decision

yup, badminton alley it is. kinda don't like asby very much. 2u is correct as well. i have access to stuff if i need to make the grip bigger. i don't like to play with bg-85 or higher end string either because last time i played it, it popped after 2 or 3 minutes of using it. either way, my friend and i were calculating price differences last night and we found after stringing between the badminton alley rackets and the mp-100, the biggest price difference between the rackets is $25

uhhh crap gotta go, work!

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    So, it's badmintonalley. I think even re-string with BG65 will cost u 15-18+.

I have no idea how much MP-100 in badmintonalley. However, seems u and ur friends definitely order more than 1 rackets, I suggest u call badmintonalley, and see whether u can get some sort of discount on the purchase. If they agree, or at least, give free string services, etc, u might consider purchase MP-100 from Badmintonalley as well.

1. Order from oversea might have to worry about warranty issues, I assume.

2. Get an expensive racket in local store, could save up time just in case of exchange (defect, etc).

Of course, my suggestion is base on a big "if" - if badmintonalley's final price (racket + string + shipping etc) is not way more than USD$143 (ur deal).

5. komodo dragon

komodo dragon Regular Member

badminton alley quote me a price of $189 for a mp100 a few weeks ago. The yangyang ti woven 8 is on sale at $80. Of course they might be sold out. Stringing at badminton alley starts at $20, so don't get your racquet stringed at badminton alley unless u got lots of $$$$$!

6. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    lol uhh i always get my racket restrung at badmintonalley. :D why? because they are 2 -3 bucks cheaper than asby for the same string and both stores are the same distance from my house.

7. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    haha i just reread my post to lazybuddy. man sleeping for 4 hours everyday isnt good. anyways i ment that the other rackets are from badminton alley. sorry for the confusion.

im still debating. yes you do have some good points about warrenty and stuff.

I just called badminton alley and they wont match prices from singapore, so thats out of the question.

does anyone know some stuff about the gosen rackets???