Contact Point

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by sarath_031, Apr 7, 2012.

1. sarath_031

sarath_031 Regular Member

Student
    I am having problems smashing when the shuttle is dropping from high elevation like high clear. When i hit it like a little late, i hit with the shaft and when i hit a little early i hit with the frame. Can anyone please tell me how to get over this problem!!

2. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I may very well be wrong but I feel that hitting a smash off of a very high clear that is falling almost straight down is a lot harder then if the shuttle is lobbing. You might also just have a timing problem in general which means you need to focus more. I found that my timing on smashes (and power) improved simply by relaxing my body before hitting the shuttle. Hope this helps.

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    Practice makes perfect.

4. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there sarath,

Regardless whatever the nature of the incoming birdie, if your preparation to do a smash is correct then the outcome should be a satisfactory result. Let me ask you a question...how about the outcome of any of your clear?. Does any of your intended clear that you perform has resulted in a way that you desire as for it's distance, height, speed and placement? If some of your answers is yes, then that selective satisfactory outcome has resulted from your correct preparation to do a clear.......an early approach and discipline that has no difference similarly if you want to do a smash, only by the differences from its outcome that is....... a clear is a clear and a smash is a smash.

If we want to fully understand the logic of why preparation to do a smash is important...in fact for all facets of strokes there are in badminton, try to imagine the travel history of a birdie from the perspective of time that it needs to go through from point A, after contacting your opponent racket (in this case a clear as it's outcome) to point B ,that is the time where it makes contact with your racket (in this case a smash as it's outcome)......and let us say that it takes 5 second for this whole process to occur just to make it easy for us to understand for explanation purposes:

A (a clear)--------------------------------------------------> B ( a smash)
    t = 5 second

Let us then divided the time for this process into its fraction:

A (a clear)t1----------t 2----------t 3----------t 4----------> t5 B (a smash)
    t = 5 second

Where t= time and:

t 1 = the time when your opponent makes a clear
    t 2 until t 4 = the time required for the birdie to travel towards you
    t 5 = the time when you make a smash

Analyzing from the above, we can clearly understand that it takes only a few seconds for the birdie to travel from your opponent before it reaches its distance, that is you. If the outcome of your smash at t =5 is a satisfactory result, then logically you need to fully prepare yourself earlier than that so that you can position yourself at the right time to do that smash. Since it takes just fraction of a second from t = 4 to be t =5 and beyond therefore, the window of opportunity for you to do that smash at it's most optimal contact point
    is limited and fixed from the point of timing as far as in referring to the birdie's travel history is concern.

- To early ( i.e at t=3 or t=4 ), it can lead to a complete mishit as the birdie has not reach you yet
    - To late ( beyond t=5 i.e t= 6 and further), a hit with likely a unsatisfactory result since your contact is not optimal as the birdie has travel beyond your view

However, if your preparation is correct then, the timing of your physical position will be at the correct time and place which in results making the timing of your view at the incoming birdie will be at its optimal height and distance and as an outcome, the timing of your swinging contact will be optimal since it is done at the correct time. Therefore, to properly prepare yourself, you need to perform the:

1. Correct footwork movement
    - Fast backward foot movements so that you are able to be constantly in front of the birdie
    - By able to be in front of the birdie constantly, you will have the opportunity to halt yourself in order to align your eyesight for a good vision of the birdie, to adjust your balance and body posture just before jumping

2. Correct state of body posture and balance
    -Your body should be in a state of relax and your stance with the non-racket facing the birdie should be firm and stable on the court

3. Correct line of vision
    - The birdie should be in front of you roughly at 45 degree so that the contact point of your smash will be at the correct timing

In summary, correct preparation has huge significant impact on the the timing of any of your strokes be it a smash, clear etc as long as your technique of doing that stroke, in this case a smash is also correct. This is true since:

Correct way to do a smash = Correct preparation to do a smash + Correct technique to do a smash.

However, if your technique to do a smash also is not correct then, it's better for you learn it properly from a coach or a experienced player and then perfectly practice it frequently and hard since perfecting your technique will only comes from perfect and a lot of frequent practice .......and a lot of it in fact. Good luck then

SS