ArcSaber Z-Slash(TH) or ArcSaber 10

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Salz.7, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Salz.7

Salz.7 Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone.

I'm a new member here. Glad to find Badminton lover community, I can learn a lot here ! I came across this forum when deciding which racket I should buy. In fact, I'm still deciding.

A bit of background info, I'm just an intermediate player, in competitive level I play doubles, but in general (drop ins/training) I play both single and double, although for most cases it's double. I already own Armortec 900T which I feel it suits me well, all rounder racket but more to double I'd say... The control is superb, but it somehow lacks of power.

So, I'm thinking to get another racket for power.. Not saying I will abandon my lovely 900T - I've been using it for about 3 years now and I'm loving it. The comparison I have in mind is either ArcSaber 10 or Z-Slash. Some people say Z-Slash is for single and 10 for double, some say the other way around. Oh, and what's the price difference for Z-Slash and ZSTH anyway ? I prefer color mix of Taufik's version. I want it red :) ! Tad's has it according to their online listing but I've never been there so I don't know what the price is all about.

If you guys could give me some input, on how those two compare to each other and how I will suit me best just based on the infos I gave - I know only the person himself can judge which racket suits him best . Plus, I have a short build, I'm only 170cm tall.. And so I heard, Z-Slash is uniquely build in a way the frame is 0.5mm smaller and the shaft is 1cm taller, and it's either you like it or hate it kind of thing. Plus it's hard to get used to but once one is able to tame that beast, it is a BEAST indeed. That's all I know.. And some say Z-Slash has a similar feeling to 900T o_O ?

Additional question. I live in Vancouver, Joyce Station area. Is there any good club/community nearby ? I know Bonsor, Sunday evening drop-ins isn't that great that's for all I know. Looking for regular club meeting/training etc.

2. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

This doesn't answer your question but from reading the first few paragraphs you say the 900T has lots of control but unsatisfactory power. In that case have you considered dropping your string tension by 2lbs, you will sacrifice control but you will gain repulsive power.

Something to think about whilst you're waiting for someone to answer the question you actually asked :D

EDIT: Just to explain a little further, sometimes a lack of power can come from strings that are too tight. I had a racket where the strings were too tight and I had to work harder on each shot to get normal power out the racket, all shots seemed to lack...omf. If this doesn't sound like you then don't worry. :)

#2 HappySachs, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. Swiftlegend

Swiftlegend Regular Member

Student
    I use an ARC10 and I find that its a very unforgiving racket. When you play well you play really well but it can feel quite dull if you're not on your A game. I find the ARC10 extremely good for control and the power it produces isn't bad at all but a good technique is required to get the most out of it. I have played with a Z-slash before and I really didn't play with it long enough. However, I can tell you it felt a lot more powerful but as you've probably read many have trouble with timing issues combined with the smaller head shape - it would take me some getting used to. Have you considered the AT900P or Voltric 80? I've played with both of them for a bit before and they instantly felt more powerful. Unfortunately I've never played with a 900 technique but from what I understand you may compromise some power by switching to an ARC10. Considering you say you play both singles and doubles, if you want another great racket to use for both then get the ARC10, i've been using it since it first was released and its great. Its stiff but it feels great. You should also consider the sort of grip size you like when you buy your racket. After my ARC10 I wanted a head-heavier racket so I bought a Li Ning N55 which was moderately head heavier. I wasn't able to chose the grip size and it turned out to be a G2 (small). I prefer a thicker grip and so after building it up it really is a balanced racket and so a bit of a waste of money because its just not as good as my ARC10.

Anyway, theres a wall of text to think about :)

If I was you I would contact local shops and try and demo a couple of rackets. If you can't do that and you say you want more power then I'd buy the Voltric 80 (if you're restricted to YY). I wouldn't bother getting another all-round racket if you're happy with your AT900T and you just want more power.

#3 Swiftlegend, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  4. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    You're probably looking at around $200 for a brand new Arc10 or ArcZS at Tad's. But it'll come with your choice of strings and case...maybe overgrip if you ask for it too. I'll check at Tad's next time I'm there. Or you can just give them a call. And Tad's website is outdated as it doesn't have all the rackets they carry listed.

As far as I know...Tad's doesn't do demo rackets anymore cuz customers were abusing the demos.

Suggest you try some rackets from your friends...then you could best judge what racket might be better for you.

If you're looking at Voltric 80...I have a used one available to sell you for $150. It's near mint 9.9/10 strung with BG80 @ 27lbs (tension probably less by now). Specs are 86g (dry weight) and is 3UG5. PM if interested.