VIDEO: Need honest feedback on my jump smash.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Phydhel, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Phydhel

Phydhel Regular Member

Hi Everyone,

This is a video of my jump smash:

http://youtu.be/9vYh5KHzFUs

Please give your honest feedback for I know that there is much room for improvement in my jump smash, especially in my swing. When i compare my swing to those of professional players, i realise that i am not pulling back as much as they do. My swing somewhat begins from above (i.e. my racket is above me), as opposed to beside me (i.e. i noticed in slow motion videos that the pros pull back their racket such that it is by their racket shoulder before swinging it back, like really back, before swinging it down). I've tried to do this but it just feels awkward and i wouldn't be able to generate any real power like that. O Wise Badminton Masters out there, please share your kind advice on this matter. I've been training this for years and i still cannot seem to perform a true jump smash. For those who have seen a real jump smash right in front of them, you would understand...

Many Thanks in advance!

P/S: By the way, this is my only good video of jump smashes, please ignore the topless guy on the other side haha, it was the end of the session and he was about to leave when i asked him to feed some shuttles. Sorry man! Haha

2. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    It is good, most importantly it looks relaxed which is very important to generate power and yes i can see that you are trying to pull the racket behind, don't do this instead try swing to in front. When you jump and rotate your body your racket has already made its backswing so you don't have to make a backswing, it is a done unconsciously only try to make compact at same time fast forward swing, when you feel a snap that is when the power is generated. I always try to imagine a bow an arrow. When an arrow is pulled and extend there is a sort of hang time when you release the bow similar to a jump smash, when you jump there is a hang time where you gather energy and release it all at once.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

looks good...

your non racket hand counterbalancing is good, but needs to tuck into the body more at strike so that your racket shoulder and torso can rotate forward

speaking of hang time... :p

[video=youtube_share;nz8RKGb7wqU]http://youtu.be/nz8RKGb7wqU[/video]

4. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    [video=youtube;kstNH5n4sNE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kstNH5n4sNE[/video]

I posted an example of fast and compact swing ,look at 0.14

5. Phydhel

Phydhel Regular Member

Thanks for sharing people.

Zack: Yes i think i get what you mean about a quick, compact swing! They're useful to catch opponents by surprise. I'm currently working on a full-blast jump smash, those that we can pull out when we have ample time.

Visor: Good point on tucking my non-racket arm in at the point of impact to facilitate rotation. I never really thought about that!

Any other feedback from BCers would be very much appreciated =)

Thanks people!

6. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
  7. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    Since people have already given you some pointers to swing adjustments I'd like to draw your attention to your footwork.
    When you are jumping your feet are too far apart and not behind the shuttle.
    This limits the hight of your jump and hinders a good upper body rotation for more power in the stroke.

Take a look at this video and pay special attention to how Peter sets his feet when jumping. At 2:50 there is a great slowmotion shot to study:
    [video=youtube;MyadwjS9HdI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyadwjS9HdI[/video]

I hope this will be useful for you in your pursuit of a better jumpsmash.

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

your feet seem very far apart compared to pros when they do jump smash - their feet are quite close together. I'd say maybe a bit more torso/abs involvement is needed as well to maximise power.

9. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    Your grip seems to be too high up on the racquet, you can generate more power if you lower your grip.

When you hit that soft smash your feet were planted with your body facing the feeder, unmoving. Maybe, while your jump smash is good you should show a video of your footwork! Definitely an essential aspect of anyone's game to watch.