Key for bringing badminton to the big stage: cooler camera angles?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by thumpsky, Apr 9, 2012.

1. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I'm really feelin this

[video=youtube_share;3Pj2cq8Q8dY]http://youtu.be/3Pj2cq8Q8dY[/video]

starts @ 4:27

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    wow, that is nice
    I agree, it would be really cool if they can implement better camera angle than the one right now

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

"Angle"? This has more to do with number of cameras than angle :cool:

4. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    Don't see any point in it really; the current setup is fine (back to front) as you have full court coverage.

I wouldn't want to see the sweat dripping off a player's chin or the zooming and blurring of a player's back/face. IMO, all these fancy 'cool' angles are only good for a promo perspective or as the 'highlight reel'.

Justin

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think the key is not to overuse non-traditional camera angles. The majority of the match should be watched from the back angle with occasional "creative" use of other cameras. In tennis for example, if there was a good rally, this was employed to highlight the play or a player's movement in the replay.

6. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    i wanna see more 300 style speed up/slow down style rallies.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

So, thumpsky, you're talking about highlight reel stuff, rather than game coverage? I agree, it's all cool stuff. :cool: But there would be nothing worse during live coverage than to have a shaky closeup desperately chasing a player around in a small field of view, without any context to the actual play.

I also think Lin Dan should give up on the moustache! :rolleyes:

8. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    Sorry. I'm slow.

What "big stage" are you talking about?
    What starts at 4:27? Seems like most of the rest of the clip. Or are you talking about one of the players?

huh?

9. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    we need ultra high definition, high frame rate, close up shots to capture subtle things like deception and hold shots.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Respectfully disagree. The traditional camera angle of the whole court is not good enough.

Zoomed shots of players' countenance, expressions at court level add to the viewer experience.

IMHO, there is not enough time given to the horizontal camera at the end of the court. It is from this angle that we can really see the speed of the game.

Agree:)

11. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I don't think that part of the coverage is deficient. The current replay system already covers that sufficiently. Ultra high definition isn't going to do much to bring the game to a wider audience. And, it's not going to improve the quality for the vast majority of North Americans who currently can only watch the events live online rather than on TV.

One of the biggest problems for exposure to the North American markets is that the major tournaments take place in Asia and Europe so time zones become an issue.

If we are talking mainly about the North American market, another hurdle that doesn't get talked about is star power. You need a player to burst on the scene that has a certain charisma. If you look at tennis, look at players like Agassi or Andy Roddick. Before Agassi ever got close to number 1 he was popular just based on charisma. Same with Andy Roddick whose popularity with the fans is beyond what his actual achievements would merit.

Have a look at some of Roddick's post match interviews and compare them with post match interviews with the badminton players such as LCW or LD. The badminton interviews are about as exciting as watching paint dry. There is way too much P.C. in badminton. Boe or some other player smashes his racquet once and it leads to a bunch of hand wringing and tsk tsking here on the forums. God forbid a player should show any emotion!

Bottom line, the quality of entertainment of the game needs to increase. You can put a nature documentary on the hunting habits of Tigers on normal TV and at the same time on a different channel put an ultra HD, multi-camera anlgle, super slow motion replay documentary on the courtship rituals of the Box Tortoise. Which do you think is going to get more views?

12. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    Respectfully disagree your disagreement :)

It really depends when and where and what camera angle is used. I can see benefits of zoomed close ups/slow-mos during breaks, replays or highlights but definitely not definitely not during when a point is being played.

When a point is being played, a full court coverage view is required; it is all about field of view (similar to what Fidget said above). Same as to how other sports are doing this too; basketball, football, etc. When a point is being played, it switches out to the full court view.

What would be cool though is perhaps one day when TV sets are big enough, we can fit multiple big enough view options on one single TV, i.e. have a full court coverage view + others. Even a first person view like this http://youtu.be/lZA-57h64kE or a GoPro cam (although it would be have to shrink in size considerably) would be good.

Either way, from my view (lol), in summary:
    - point being played: full court coverage
    - replay/highlights: all the fancy smancy views you could ever want

Justin

13. justinwyyau

Husband and Dad
    Quoted for truth!

14. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    watch 4:55.

A lot of badminton is anticipation as well. A tight shot showing the serving player making a hand sign can educate the audience about the importance of the serve and set plays.

In other sports you have the commentators educating the audience with all kinds of graphics and diagrams. Badminton should do the same.

15. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    It doesn't necessarily have to be slow mo, but high frame rate.

I want to see them cut to a shot of the player's face right before he receives the serve. it brings the drama.

16. thunder.tw

A bunch of gimickery adds very little and can end up just being foolish. I don't think badminton is as well suited as team sports are for this type of thing. When I see it in Tennis perhaps I'll be less skeptical. Basically you seem to be trying to dress up the game rather than looking at the fundamental reasons why the game has trouble breaking through in North America. Badminton lacks character. It's kind of funny because after my last post, I had a look at Agassi's wiki page and the first paragraph reinforced my point.

"Andre Kirk Agassi ([​IMG] /ˈɑːndr ˈæɡəsi/; born April 29, 1970) is a retired American professional tennis player and former world no. 1.[SUP][3][/SUP] Generally considered by critics and fellow players to be one of the greatest tennis players of all time, Agassi has been called the best service returner in the history of the game. Described by the BBC upon his retirement as "perhaps the biggest worldwide star in the sport's history", Agassi's performances, along with his unorthodox apparel and attitude, have seen him cited as one of the most charismatic players in the history of the game, and credited for helping revive the popularity of tennis during the 1990s. "

17. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    knowing how the game is played > WWE style gimmickery

18. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    look at how Poker is more relevant than Hockey is the US market right now, despite the latter having a plethora of colorful characters who make Aggasi look like a choir boy.

Why is that?

Because the commentators educate the audience about the ins and outs of the game.

19. thunder.tw

Having character doesn't have to mean having disruptive or undesirable attitudes.

Because your premise(s) and logic are faulty;

1. The commentators in Badminton have provided insight into the game Ms. Clark for one has done a good job of this in broadcasts I've watched. There is no lack of insight.

2. Trying to say that the televised poker players are bereft of character is laughably naive. Phil Hellmuth? Mike 'the mouth'? Daniel Neugranue? Geeze, do you even watch televised poker?

3. You're contention hinges on the premise that poker is not a stimulating activity on it's own. This is patently false. There needs to be some entertainment value in the activity itself.

That's idiotic, the contention that Poker owes its popularity over hockey to the commentary is a flimsy argument. Also making this argument implicitly argues that there is a lack of such commentary in hockey. This is laughable and completely destroys your argument.

As to why poker should be more relevant in the US market I'm going to guess that more people in the US have played poker at some time in their life than have actually laced up for a game of hockey. Too obvious for you?

Just watch a post match player interview in Hockey, Tennis, or even Poker and then watch one of any badminton player.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How many times have you actually seen the horizontal camera view live on TV? :)

I am not proposing that it be used continuously, but used judiciously through the course of a match.

Forgive me for saying but the traditional camera angle is too restrictive. The higher the angle, the less appreciation of speed and the game to the layman. We do need a bit more variety throughout a televised match.