Sorbothane insole suitability

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by diverdan, Apr 9, 2012.

1. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Hi BC,

Just thought I would share my experience of using Sorbothane insoles as a replacement on my YY SHB200 shoes. I originally bought them because my right foot was starting to roll outwards and was putting pressure on my ankle ligaments. The insoles had become compressed and developed a hole so I decided to change them. I wanted to buy YY insoles but they are difficult to get in the UK and you have to get them from overseas so I tried an insole from Sorbothane. I got the double strike pair (heel and toe) as this is where most of the impact occurs on the feet.

So after using them this is what I have found.

Firstly there is no grip on them like the wave insole from YY so the foot tends to slide around and toes hit the end of the shoe.

Secondly because the insoles are relatively thick my foot was squashed in the shoe and felt higher than usual. I felt unbalanced because of this.

Thirdly the heel of the insole does not cup the heel of the foot like the YY insole so does not provide the same amount of ankle stability.

So as an insole for badminton I do not rate them.

I have just ordered a pair of YY insoles from overseas and will use the Sorbothane insoles in my rugby boots where they work very well.

2. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    but what i heard in malaysia is that yonex didn't sell any insole anymore for replacement...

3. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    That's interesting Alan. I have been looking through websites and found a few webshops that have them listed. Maybe they have discontinued them in your area or its the last of the line?

4. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    Have you considered using 2mm Noene flat insoles beneath the stock insoles? This has been effective for me. I have been reusing the Noene ones through three pairs of stock insoles.

5. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    No as i was looking for a replacement for old, perished, original insole.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I used to use the sorbothane (the heel ones, not full length).

I put them underneath the sole insert. My main objective was to provide more cushioning for the heel area. Like you, the foot felt higher within the shoe. This just takes time to get used to.

If you feel you foot is starting to roll outwards, that suggests looking at the orientation of your foot when landing rather than a problem to be solved by a sole insert. (I assume it's the lunge having a problem)

7. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    I'm having problems on the front of the foot, heels are fine.

Will it be ok to put a full lenth sorbothane under an insole. I can get used to the thickness (already using 2 insoles atm)

I used to make holes in the sorbothane just under the big toe.