Would it disappoint you more if you lose against someone with inferior technique?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Whittalboy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Whittalboy

Whittalboy Regular Member

I was just taking a shower and thought of this. for me, I think it would be yes.

2. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

No

I've played against kids that are 10-12 years old that train with Yorkshire, I talked to a few of them and they said they have being playing for 1-2 years

Me on the other hand, I've got no coach no training what so ever and Ive played for 6 months, and I can beat all of them

Therefore its not just technique that decides who wins, without a doubt all those kids have better technique, better everything than me.

3. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Who cares about their technique. I care about my technique. I have no problem getting beaten, I hate losing. If a player beats me because he was stronger so be it, I'll get stronger. If they beat me because their technique was better I'll work on my technique. No big deal. But, if they won because I kept making errors or idiot plays then I get vexed. And, why do we need to know you were in the shower when you thought of this?

Jason, how old are you? If you're a teenager or a young adult then of course you should be able to beat some little kid regardless of how good their technique is. If you are more physically developed than they are you will simply be able to over power them.

I think it's safe to assume the OP was referring to opponents his own age.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

as thunder says - what the other guy does doesn't have any affect on how disappointed I am. I feel worse the worse I play/more unforced errors I make.

5. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I play for fun. I don't care.

6. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    i would seppuku in an instant

7. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    I've never been beat......
    and had it bother me.

It bothers me more when I make a mistake due to lack of concentration. That's the current monkey on my back.

8. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I don't care if my opp has worse technique than me and win, but I do care if I made so many unforced error in a game
    maybe my opp lucky, or has better stamina, but I play not for win, but for fun
    as long as it is a fun and intense game who cares about the winner?

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Usually, that bothers me very much, as I come from table tennis where technique is everything. If a guy has worse technique than me, it usually comes down to errors on my side or raw physicality on his. In both cases, I get mad as I can't stand losing against people who clearly have less talent.

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

as badminton is a very complex sport and technique is just one piece of it (besides speed, endurance, mental issues, ...) it doesn't really matter why you lose!

i know people that probably have worse technique than me, but are amongst the best players in my country, they are unbelievably fast, fit and consistent, which makes them really really hard to beat (and i can't...)!!

on the other hand, i often times win against quite good juniors players (e.g. under 18) which are technically WAY better than me, just because i'm more consistent.

it doesn't matter why you lose, but it does matter that you find your weak spots and work on them.

fwiw: i hate losing, for whatever reason!