Do You Use Identical Rackets or Different Rackets ?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bmtfreak123, Apr 9, 2012.

1. bmtfreak123

bmtfreak123 Regular Member

Student
    For players who have 2 or more rackets, are your rackets identical or different? In terms of weight and so on. And why?

2. Whittalboy

Whittalboy Regular Member

Yes identical ones. What are you going to use when your string breaks? :eek:
    I don't know for other people but for me, I'm sensitive with racket weight, balance, etc...
    I don't want to lose the "feeling?" I'm not sure if feeling is the right word but you know what I mean don't you?

3. bmtfreak123

Student
    Same here. That's why I'm thinking if I should get another racket that is identical to my second racket, but that may cause my first racket redundant. hmm...

#3 bmtfreak123, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  4. AezranHakim

AezranHakim Regular Member

Office Boy
    Same here! once i get the right racquets, i get two of them and string it at the same tension and same type of strings :)

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    both. have multiple pairs of identical rackets. ;)

6. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    I prefer to stay with a specific racquet and grab a couple/few. Once you get to a more serious level of play, it would be best to keep routines or keep things constant to minimize the possible stress of playing.

With racquets, by having multiple of the same, you get used to the racquet's stiffness, balance, and overall feel.

I have seen people with 3-5 different racquets, telling me they play with them all. I am not one to tell them they are wrong because quite frankly, they aren't. The people I have talked to like to collect different racquets and that is what interests them.

7. yves.

yves. Regular Member

Student
    I've got 3 racquets of the same type so usually I rotate between them, they have different grips on them and get strung at different times so the tension isn't the same, I just choose whichever I feel is right for what I'm playing at that moment. But I've also got a forth racquet which has similar but not exactly the same specifications, I can change to it without any problems really, although it needs some little tweaks in the way I play.

8. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

I have multiple rackets, not a single one the same as another. I am able to switch between them with little difficulty, although I would say it probably takes me 5 or so points to get fully comfortable (based on my experiences of breaking a string in league play). I'm sure if you handed me a new racket I'd not tried before it'd take me a lot longer to get to grips with it.

At the moment I'm working my way through my collection and elliminating the less favourable ones. Unsurprisingly I have a favourite and I'm lucky in that it's still in production. If after my testing it's still my favourite then I plan to get a second one and string it at a slightly different tension (1lb difference i'm currently thinking).

When switching rackets I find it's important to find the sweet spot of the new racket relative to the old one. Then make a concious effort on the first few strokes to adjust my swing to make sure I hit the sweet spot. After a few swings it becomes automatic, especially if it's a racket I have used before.

9. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

I don't have copies of the same racket, although I probably should. But what I do generally is bring along my Lethal 70 and AT900P. They're similar enough that I don't have much problem if I need to change rackets quickly. That said, I'm not so picky in terms of shaft stiffness, balance point, or weight, so I can switch between any of my rackets pretty easily and/or use almost anything.

10. bmtfreak123

Student
    Anyone prefer heavier racket for single and lighter racket for double?

11. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

Yeah, I think that's generally the norm since doubles is a faster game and you want a more maneuverable racket whereas in singles you need that oomph from a heavier racket.

12. AezranHakim

AezranHakim Regular Member

Office Boy
    Me!! id go for the AT700 for singles anytime, the VT70 will go for doubles... AT700 gets some doubles action too if i can perform to the max :)

13. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

different rackets for me. They all weight about the same but with different balance point and flex.

singles
    victor sw37 or victor mx60 (depends on how I feel on the day)

doubles
    sotx woven 8a

14. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

it depends. i owned at700 2008 and initially, enjoyed playing with it. there was a time when i almost bought two of it. thankfully, i did not, because now i'm only using it for warm ups. now, i'm just switching between volt80 and arc 8dx between singles and doubles, depending on the opponents' style of play.

15. soulsync

soulsync Regular Member

I'm one who owned different type of rackets too and would prefer head heavier for singles and lighter ones for doubles. Now having VT-ZF (singles) and MX60 (doubles).