Smashing technique question

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by david14700, Aug 8, 2003.

1. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I have a specific question about smashing technique: I've been trying two different methods of smashing and I need to know which is better and which is the 'standard' one.

1) The smash has a smaller, shorter arc and the racket head finishes around my right knee. This is my normal smash, it's quicker and easier so more suitable for doubles, but not as powerful.

2) The smash has a much bigger, more vertical arc. The racket head goes past my left leg with a longer follow through and finishes slightly behind my body, under my left arm. This takes more time, but produces a lot more power. I generally can only use this in singles or if I can get under the shuttle to jump smash.

I don't know if I should be only using one technique as the 'correct' one as I'm not sure which is better overall. Watching the pros, they seem to smash more across their body, as in 2).

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Both are "correct", in the sense that they should both be in your repertoire. What you're describing as #2 is the "classic" smash. #1 is often called "wrist smash" (although the wrist has little to with it, it just looks that way). #2 is a derivation of the clear and incorporates a lot of body rotation, but #1 incorporates little or none.

Both strokes have their pros and cons, as you have already noted:

The classic smash needs preparation, but is more powerful. Recovery also takes a bit longer, but on the other hand it provides a natural forward movement so that you can followup to the net quicker.

The wrist smash is faster to execute, so it comes in handy when you have little preparation time, or when you aim to catch the opponent off guard. It is less powerful, but recovery is fast -- although you don't get the same forward motion as from the classic smash.

But types can be combined with jumps.

In a fast doubles game, where there is little time to prepare for a stroke, you'll typically see more wrist smashes than in a singles match.

3. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

Reason why the pros may do the classic smash more often could be that they position themselves well enough inorder to execute it.

There is nothing wrong in using either one, so aslong you know when to use them in a game.

:)

4. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    To follow up on what the others have said, there should be a difference between how you smash in singles and doubles.

In singles, unless you have devastating power and placement, you should be smashing primarily to finish a rally, or when the opponent is in such a position that a weak reply is most likely. Because a strong reply is not expected, you don't have to worry too much about being caught out of position, and you can put body rotation into the smash to gain more power. Of course, for a quick putaway at the net, no full stroke or rotation is needed.

In doubles, you will not be smashing only to finish a rally, but to keep on the offense. You should not be putting in full body rotation because you may be caught out of position by a strong cross-court reply or something similar. The reason is that when you fully rotate into your smash, your legs will be switched up and you may be caught out of position. Refer to professional diagram attached for what I mean. :)

Oops, I gotta leave now, I'll have a diagram later. :eek:

Phil

5. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

I agree with Phil. As your skill increases and you play opponents of equal skill, dont expect to be scoring points with smashes from the back. smashing will be for placement unless its devastating. If you look some proffesional players, they dont put that much effort into their smashes (harder than i can hit but no effort for them) so they can keep their balance, and because they just want to move the opponent around

6. huynd

huynd Regular Member

Question on follow through

I brought this topic back to discussion, since I can't find yet the answer for a smashing technique: Should we use follow through or not.

I mostly see people use a full swing smash when they're at the back. The whipy smash (quick pronation and no follow through) is mainly use with mid-court smash. But recently when I watch a XD in WC2003, I notices that Zhang Jun uses whipy smash very often, even at the back. And his smashes are very hard.

Looking forward to your ideas

7. jordenrocks

jordenrocks Regular Member

Yesterday, I was playing and i decided to do an experiment.
    The person i was playing, when he was smashing didnt move his hips or sholders at all.

8. jordenrocks

jordenrocks Regular Member

I usually use the wrist smash if my opponent is nimble.

9. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    when i smash and don't want to use too much effort i do a short small arch smash standing on the ground (1), but when i want to do a killer smash i do a jump smash with a full arm follow through (2) :D

10. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I'd assumed that when I unload my biggest smashes, that after contacting the shuttle, my follow through would come across my body. (i.e I'm right handed and after the swing my raquet head would be down by my left knee/side)

But when Evylgrynn and I watched a recording of one of matches to try and break down how I generate the power I do... this turned out not to be true.

My hardest smashes, whether they were straight down the line or cross-court, the swing path of my raquet was straight down - i.e the head of my raquet ended up by my right hip on the follow though.

I do have a very big swing/windup. When I'm really cranking it in a doubles game, the head of my racquet will almost touch the back of my legs on my wind up.

If you look at photos of the pros after they've smashes you see the same thing much of the time - their follow through comes straight down and not across the body (Lin Dan comes across his body a bit on on his cross courts)
    I do the wrist smash only in singles, typically over the head when I can cut off a lift and take it down the line. The only other time I'll do it is a left to right half smash off a deep serve, but I do my best to diguish it as a clear first that I turn on last minute.

11. Ecko123

Ecko123 Regular Member

If your follow through is coming across your body, chances are you won't get as much power because you're cutting the bird. This is what I've been told, and what I've noticed in myself as well. May not be true for everyone though!

12. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    it should go down to your right leg if you dont turn your body. what makes it turn to your left hip is the body turn or basically the follow thru with the body.