Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    haha. was i much better/worse?
    Okay, if you really want to know...

My kid was in the B/C level in a recent small local tournament (WS event). I think she definitely can win the D-level (at least in small to medium size ones), may win C-level.

Now you can put some fudge factor to account for the difference between WS and MS at the same grade level, and you can figure out roughly where you're, in case you haven't played any MS tournament lately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratlover View Post
    First, I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful (and unhelpful) comments. Just to clarify, I won both of these matches (and the final which is not included) in 2 straight games. I admit the quality was rather low, but I blame the large amount of errors to the bad draft. None of us had played on this particular court before and as you can see by some of the high serves, it was making the shuttle deviate from it's original intended path by 1-2 feet. I actually think I won these matches because I adapted better to the draft than they did. That being said, some of you make valid points and I will try to keep them in mind at my next session. The dominant leg forward after the netshot is something that I notice separates a lot of high level from low level players even at the professional level. I will try to work on that, although I don't think that happens in doubles so it may be difficult.
    You should play lunge with your dominant leg in doubles if you go in for a net shot either in attacking or defending rotation. It only makes sense to get more reach and extend your arm whether it is a net shot or net kill. Just because you may not notice it in doubles does not mean it should be an excuse! Doubles and Singles are completely different games!

Oh and in regards to taking a small step backwards after a shot, look at a professional singles match. Generally the player, after playing a net shot will hover around the net to reply another net shot. If it is lifted past them, they have ample time to get back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful (and unhelpful) comments. Just to clarify, I won both of these matches (and the final which is not included) in 2 straight games. I admit the quality was rather low, but I blame the large amount of errors to the bad draft. None of us had played on this particular court before and as you can see by some of the high serves, it was making the shuttle deviate from it's original intended path by 1-2 feet. I actually think I won these matches because I adapted better to the draft than they did. That being said, some of you make valid points and I will try to keep them in mind at my next session. The dominant leg forward after the netshot is something that I notice separates a lot of high level from low level players even at the professional level. I will try to work on that, although I don't think that happens in doubles so it may be difficult.

I noticed some people commenting on my jump smash. I have been trying to work on the steepness of my smashes, but I feel like hitting the shuttle too high in the jump would make recovery difficult as they might return it before you're even on the ground? Do most people hit jump smashes at the top of the jump? I'll try hitting earlier in my jump and see what happens.

I also saw that someone said that I do not split step. I find this hard to believe since I have been trained to split step for tennis and know that I do it unconsciously in any sport. Keep the comments coming, they're helpful. Thanks!
    First off, I didn't watch the entire video. These are general suggestions that will improve your game regardless of how you played in the videos.

You should work on your short serve.

If you notice a strong draft in the hall, you shouldn't be doing the long serve at all. If you practice your short serve enough and able to execute a very offensive short serve, your opponent wouldn't be able to respond aggressively even if he/she knows you're doing a short serve. I find that a good short serve will often level the playing field (in terms of experience) for a doubles player transitioning into singles play (the case with me when I play singles).

Stick to what you're good at.

A big issue I have sometimes in the first few shots of playing singles is getting used to the lines in singles. I often make amazing shots (drops, net shots, attacking clears etc, but especially net shots) but only if the lines were for a doubles game. So for the first few rallies, I will go for body shots/drives that I'm accustomed to executing from my doubles experience. Once you get into the rhythm aim for the back lines first and then slowly build your confidence for the sidelines.

Practice, practice, practice.
    There is definitely room for improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed some people commenting on my jump smash. I have been trying to work on the steepness of my smashes, but I feel like hitting the shuttle too high in the jump would make recovery difficult as they might return it before you're even on the ground? Do most people hit jump smashes at the top of the jump? I'll try hitting earlier in my jump and see what happens.

I also saw that someone said that I do not split step. I find this hard to believe since I have been trained to split step for tennis and know that I do it unconsciously in any sport. Keep the comments coming, they're helpful. Thanks!
    Yes , most people do hit the smash at the high of the jump , thats why people hit jump smash . Otherwise whats the point of jumping like you do and hit the shuttle at the lowest point of the jump . Great power on those smash but they are too flat and placement needed to be desire. Sometimes it is wise to sacrifice that power in order for the placement and steepness of the shuttle

Also , split step (1st step) , if you watch yourself closely , you would notice majority of your movement /footwork missed that step .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

soooooooooooooo many mistakes

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should be hitting JS just at the end of the 'hang time'.

As for split step - the evidence is in your vid! There are lots of times were you do not split step at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a pro. it looks really good for me. In Switzerland I rarely see people, who play so well. I don't know how good Startlover will be, but my opinion is, That's a really good basic. We always can improve. By Startlover I can see, your smash isn't really effective. But practice, then you're gonna be a good player.
    My level is a little bit less then Startlover, but lots of ppl told me, that I'm playing really well. But I also know, that I everytime can improve my badminton game. So, I don't understand, why some ppl tell, he is playing awful and didn't say, what to improve, or didn't give a reason for improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    you should be hitting JS just at the end of the 'hang time'.

As for split step - the evidence is in your vid! There are lots of times were you do not split step at all.
    Just before the end of hang time , but this depends on how high you can jump and where the shuttle is , and how steep you want the smash to be. But definitely not just before landing . Glad someone else notice his footwork .....I would say 70-80% of the time there were no split step .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for my 2 cents...
    I would say I'm about the same level sinlges player as you. I don't play singles, but if your doubles is anything like your singles, then I'm probably better lol.

Anyway, you seem to execute some nice shots, but as many people have commented on your jump smash. Forget about jumping for now, and concentrate on having both feet firmly on the ground for when you execute the smash. You make far too many easy mistakes like on the service and sometimes it seems like you just can't be bothered.

Sorry if it sounds a little harsh, but that's just what I feel you need to improve on to become a better player after watching the video. Apart from that, keep up the good work. Probably not many people on here who have the balls to post up a video of themselves to get criticised. Personally I like getting criticised because it just makes me want to be a better player. Good luck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I have noticed is your racket preparation for overhead shots isn't ideal. You tend to drag your racket alongside your foot and then bring it up at the last second before you play the shot.

Try to get your racket up as soon as you know your opponent has played a clear or lift.That way if your opponents shot is short/ lower than expected you can intercept it straight away. Your current preparation makes you very vulnerable to being caught out on flatter clears, which you will encounter as you play better people. The other advantage with having your racket ready like this is it is a lot easier to see where your racket is in relation to the shuttle, so timing jump smashes might become easier.

Also another word of advice, try not to correct everything at once. I would focus on getting a split step going so that you are quicker and able to play the shuttle earlier. In fact you could combine this with getting your racket up. Do some shadow work to the rear court making sure you split, get your racket up as you start to move backwards then shadow a shot, start with a step through first, then a kick through once you get the hang of that, then once you have that right try and practise a few jump smashes within the drill.

See this Peter Rasmussen footwork drill video to see the rear court preparation a little better:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5M-mirAcI

I
    hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

may i tell you my thoughts, im not a very good player tho (yet )

- i think your footwork really needs to be polished, it looks like you are a fast and experienced kid who can react and run very fast (but never get taught right footwork) but you would be WAY faster and better if you would learn right footwork and train it, i do think too that you do not use split step most of the time

- i know deception is a big part of badminton and i liked how often you did it, but often at the cost of the point because you made an error - i found that all 3 of you guys tried to make the point too fast with too difficult shots...and therefore made way too many errors

- the games looked like leisure time games...already played 2 hours...wanna play a nice last match for enjoy...pretty relaxed and fast..not concentrated, i did not see serious competition --> take your time when serving..think about the mistakes you made for a second before going on to the next point...and practise the difficult shots in practise games and not in tournament games
    maybe you had a bad day and usually hit the many errorshots at a high percentage usually, but since you posted the video i would guess that you felt like your level of play was not too bad compared to what you usually do

edit: i like your jumping, i think you hit the shuttle a tiny bit too late but i would definitely keep jumping..maybe not every single time but in my view it should be one of your strengths, just work on improving angle and diversity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't wacht your entire match but I get the feeling you're not really imposing your game on your opponent. You're not trying to force you're opponent to play your game, instead I get the feeling you're playing along with whatever play your opponent throws at you and hope you can get into it.
    You should play to your strenghts more,and 'cloake' you're weaknesses more. Force the other player to play your game and your speed. E.g. your smash lacks power/speed/accuracy/consistentcy. So don't smash so often instead try to outmanouvre you're opponent with drops/net play/disguise (which are I think you're stronger points). Maybe you're not a natural smasher with great smashing power. I know I am not. Hence I try to limit using my smash in singles as often as I can. But when I have to I know my smash has to be consistent and accurate/angled to compensate for the lack of power. You should look at your game more in this way I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your defense, you seem to react quite quickly.
    You've also got good pace oncourt.

It's hard to give spesific tactical or technical advice, but i would say that working on your basic game will benefit you greatly. Good footwork allows you to use the pace you've got to good effect, and safety of shot enables you to stay calm under pressure.
    However on a more spesific note:
    You should stop flabbing your racquet around when you hit shots in the forecourt, it's not deceptive at all. Keep the movements short and sharp, and learn to do hold and flicks. A quick opponent with good netplay and a good hold and flick is not fun to play at all

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nismo333 View Post
    I'm not a pro. it looks really good for me. In Switzerland I rarely see people, who play so well. (....)
    just to make it clear: as in any other country of the world, the video shown above is solid D level in switzerland, low C at best...

@topic: the key to playing good singles at your level (and several levels above) is CONSISTENCY!
    you have some nice shots, you're quick. but you should really work on being able to play the same shot over and over again without any errors.
    your error-rate is so high, that i would only feed you some clears in a match and wait for your mistake.

you certainly have the potential to play much better, so keep working on your consistency (movement and strokes!!) and be more focused on doing the easy things flawless...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my local area you would be perhaps be a D. Your footwork is off and you are quite slow to get to the shuttle. You did use the clear sometimes, however most of the time you played shots which put you out of position. To improve dont smash so much, make openings with fast clears/drop shots then when you are confident smash at the body, dont smash down the tramlines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2