First Time Restring

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by dffhkhksg, Apr 10, 2012.

1. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

Well, I guess it's about time for me to restring my Muscle Power 5.

I've had it for about a year now, and have yet to restring the stock strings (no idea what they are, came with the racket). Now I have a few questions, as this is my first time restringing a racket.

1. What do you suggest for strings, and what tension for a mediocre player that plays mostly offensive. I'd also prefer they last for as long as possible without having to restring again. I've seen the BG80 and the BG65 come up a lot.

2. I live in Pickering, Ontario. Where is a good place where I can have my racket restrung?  I would prefer closer than a 15 minute drive.

3. After playing with my racket for a while, I've found that the head has become a bit "bent". One side of the racket is normally rounded, whereas the other side is sort of "isometric".Will this impact the quality of the string job and is there any way i can fix it?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    1. BG80 @ 23lbs
    2. dunno
    3. it will bounce back to the original shape once the old string is cut. don't worry about it.

3. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

What kind of shuttle to you play with? BG80 doesn't like plastic/nylon birdies too much.

Kwun, Muscle Power 5 is a racquet with steel shaft and aluminum frame, I guess the deformation of head shape will be more permanent...

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I'd suggest that 23lb might be something to think about before ordering.
    The stock strings on your racket might be at about 18lb or less by now. A jump to 23 would take some getting used to. You could certainly adjust to that tension. But there is no shame in trying 21 or 22lb and seeing how that feels. It might also be safer for your mis-shapen racket. Your choice, of course.:)

BG-65 is a good durable string that is easy to like. But BG-80 and any other string can be played on plastic shuttles -- there are no rules. ;)
    Have fun!

5. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

Sorry, My racket is actually a Muscle Power 7, and yes i usually only play with plastic birdies.

I think im torn between the NGB95 and the BG80, could someone tell me the pros and cons of each for an aggressive player that doesn't mind the occasional netshot. Ideally, i'd like a more powerful smash, but i also don't want to restring my racket every month (longer the better).

6. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    If you play with plastic, I would suggest BG65. It's the string that is probably the closest to the original strings, in durability anyways.

The original tension on pre strung rackets in Canada is usually around 18-19lbs, so your tension was probably close to 16-17 lbs before it broke. I would recommend stringing at around 20lbs.

If you go higher than ~22-23 lbs, you'll feel like you're hitting with a plywood board if you play with plastic shuttles.

7. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

If all you care about is durability then pick NGB95, I've used it my self ultra durable, I've had so many mishits used it for around 6 months, Its starting to lose tension tho, strung at 25lbs

BG80 Ive only had for 2 week, and for both them weeks they havent been strung correctly so I cant really say how durable they are

8. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Is the BG65 better then BG65TI?

Cause I had the Ti for like 2 days and cut them, they annoyed me so much, they kept on moving when ever I hit them and created a massive whole, they lost tension in literally 30mins for me

9. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

Yeah. Get regular BG-65. 65-Ti was surprisingly durable for me. I had it on a racket at 24 lbs for over 2 years :eek:. Mind you, I was playing with it; not just letting it sit in the closet. But regular 65 should have the same durability.

10. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

I think it depends.BG 65Ti has harder feeling, which is better for offensive play IMO. Control is not as good as BG65 as it is quite slippery. It does take longer to "burn in" compared with other strings. BG65 loses tension fast as well, perhaps you can talk to your local stringer to prestrech your strings next time:)

BG65 Ti is also very durable, if not more durable than regular BG65. For playing with plastic birdies, I have found thicker strings/lower tension work better. BG80 is a superb string and is excellent in almost all aspects but if you smash plastic birdies with it, it wouldn't last as long as you'd like it to.

NBG95 is a very good string. Powerful and durable, although a little slippery.

11. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    BG65 and BG65Ti pretty much only have the gauge and durability in common.

The Ti version has a harder feeling and I find it is is less slippery than BG65, which is probably why you found that they move a lot (BG 80 does that a lot too). BG65 is very slippery and tends to go right back to where it was after you hit the shuttle.

I prefer the BG65 to the BG65 Ti, but in the end, it's just a matter of how you play and what string suits you best.