VIDEO: How to start mains with fixed clamps

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Apr 12, 2012.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    back to the basics for this video. how to start the mains with fixed clamps.

[video=youtube;Yb4P057DnFM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb4P057DnFM[/video]

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    This is a question I've always wanted to ask and this seems like an ideal thread to ask it.

At the beginning, you pull both strings at the same time with the tensioner. What is the difference in tension on each string between that method, the standard method with fixed clamps and the standard method with flying clamps (starting clamp at b1 and pull B1, so tensioning both mains at the same time).

I'm asking this because it could be a better way to pull the first mains when using flying clamps. Pull the two strings (b1 and B1) at the same time, use a flying clamp and starting clamp to hold tension and maybe the tension would be better than pulling B1 with a starting clamp at b1.

It's probably not even worth to think about, but I'm curious :p

#2 yan.v, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    note that i do pull both strings at b1 & B1. but that's not for the final tension. the rational behind that is two fold:

- to give the string some tension so the positioning of the clamp at A1 is better. if the string is not taut, then the clamp might be offset to one side, and may also drop down.
    - to load the string up with some tension so the string segment being clamped at A1 is tight. if loose the first teeth will have to do most of the work.

anyway, initially, when i do that, the tensioner is set at 25lbs. so in theory each string should get 12.5lbs. enough to satisfy the above but not enough for the final tension. do notice that i then go and tension each main string individuall at b1 and B1 later to give them the final 25lbs tension.

there is a way to do starting/flying clamp start, i have shown in this other video:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/108533-VIDEO-Starting-mains-with-Flying-Clamps

4. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Oh I know you don't pull them for final tension, and I know how to start the mains with flying clamps :p I've used those methods since I started stringing.

I guess what I meant to ask is what really is the tension when you pull both. Sorry if I'm not being clear :p

Would the tension be 12,5 lbs in each string like you're saying ? In my mind, the tension on both strings would be close to 25lbs, but maybe I'm not seeing something!

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    12.5lbs.

if they are close to 25lbs, then there will be closed to 50lbs in the tensioner, that's not possible!

6. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

Imagine two strings, each with a 12.5 lb weight on the end, each string has 12.5 lbs of tension in it. Whilst hanging from the strings the two weights touch and stick together, forming a 25lb weight. The strings will not suddenly lengthen as no extra weight has been added, thus the tension in each string is 12.5lbs.

I think that made sense :p

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    also it depends what you mean by pull both.

here i assume you mean putting both end of the string and clamp them on the tensioner, and then pull 25lbs. that will end up with 12.5lbs on each.

however, if you mean putting a starting clamp on b1 (which is a bit tight in space...) and then pull in B1, then yes, B1 main should be close to 25lbs, b1 main is probably around 22lbs (guessing using the same ratio of tension drop from the contest experiment)

8. bsmith

bsmith Regular Member

Engineering software developer www.elitesoft.com
    I always experience the issues mentioned above and have wondered whether I should try to do something about it. Pulling both of the first mains at once to give some pretension in preparation for the final real tensioning process is a very good idea that is not hard to implement. That is going to become a part of my standard stringing process.

9. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

This isn't really our case though :p In our case, it would be a single string with both ends attached to the same 25 lbs weight.

But yeah I understand why it's 12.5 lbs, just needed a little more thinking and remembering basic physics concepts -_-

10. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

...The free ends of the two lengths of string touch, stick together and become a single length of string.

Doesn't change a thing. :)