jumping up and forward - volleyball style...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by thumpsky, Apr 12, 2012.

1. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    for the smash.

is this better than just jumping straight up?

2. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

Off the top of my head there might be four reasons (these are just my opinions btw):
    1. Footwork is involved in badminton, whereas not so much in volleyball.
    2. The location of the shot/trajectory is different
    3. The vertical required for a volleyball spike is much higher than required in badminton
    4. There are 6 players on the volleyball court

1. You'll never see a volleyball player doing anything that resembles badminton footwork on the court. The vertical jump in badminton makes recovery much easier. A running start to a jump smash is impractical because most clears are deep in the court, you'll have no space for a running lead into a jump smash (more on this in 2)

2. A birdie falls very differently than a volleyball. Most often it is in a straight downward drop after a high clear to the rear court. If you were to have a running start into your jump smash, you will have to be off the court to have enough space (you'll see that this is the case for overhand serves in volleyball). It make very little sense to go from base position to off the badminton court to make a running jump smash when a standing jump smash will suffice.
    You may argue that a volleyball can fall more or less vertically after a set and even then the players still do a running lead into a jump. But I think the main thing is to achieve greater vertical... which leads us into the next point.

3. A volleyball net is much higher than a badminton net. /nobrainer

4. One has more time to react to a volleyball return than in badminton. Even if you're out of position, other members on the team can fill in the gaps. This allows players to have more time to prepare for a spike and greater margin for error in position after spiking. Not so in badminton. Even in doubles, the margin for error is significantly smaller than volleyball.

BTW, running/jumping without the momentum of swinging arms greatly decreases your speed/vertical. You're holding a badminton racket - it's hard to run swinging your arms, let alone swinging into a jump.

3. alexh

alexh Regular Member

My coach thinks it isn't. For mid-court smashes (where the opponent has made a mistake and you can finish the point with one big smash) he gets us to practice stepping forward, stopping and jumping straight up. He hasn't explained why though.

My guess is that it's about timing and coordination. The shuttle is a bit smaller than a volleyball, and you're hitting it with your racket not with your hands. If you're moving forward as you smash, you're more likely to miss, I suppose.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if your opponent lifts the shuttle high and close to the net like your teammate would do in volleyball, i'd say go ahead and jump forward.

otherwise, you will need to have super fast footwork to get way behind the shuttle in order to do so. not sure about you, but i never has that luxury especially when i play with someone as good as or better than me.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

as several posters have mentioned, often times there is not enough time and space to jump forward to smash...

however, it is important and ideal for weight and power transfer if you jump up and smash while on the way down instead of on the way up

although, obviously there are times when there's no time to do that and so any downward smash will do

6. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    pros do it when they can, its just their opponent doesn't give them too many chances to do so at the international level.
    It's not a running jump smash (like those insane volleyball spikes), but they definitely get behind the bird and jump forward.

7. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

jumping forward to smash is a very good idea!

if you're fast enough to get behind the shuttle that early...;)

8. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    this is sort've what i'm getting at. it seems to me the forward jump saves more time and has more momentum than the step-forward-and-then-jump

9. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    so could we say the jump forward smash is the most powerful?

10. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    you can jump up from stationary.
    jumping forward from stationary is a little more difficult. it will invariably include a step forwards. so the shuttle will have to be quite a way infront. e.g. if you were back court and the shuttle was mid court.
    jump up, you only have to judge height of when to hit. jump forwards, you have to judge height and forward distance to intercept the shuttle.
    forward jump will land you in a more forwards position than you want. and you will waste energy to stop your forward momentum.
    jumping forwards requires more energy in general. you get less height jumping forwards.
    not practical in doubles. you parter will be in the way.
    jumping forwards commits you too early. if you step forwards 1-2 steps to get ready to jump up, you have plenty of time to change you mind and not even jump at all.
    better drop shot accuracy jumping up. jumping forwards, you have to account for your forward momentum.

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

yes, naturally. Harder to time, but it must be more powerful than jump straight up because you have added momentum in the forward direction.

You should always be trying to jump slightly forwards when going for a big JS (if all you want is max power).

#11 amleto, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  12. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    you make this sound way more complicated than it is.

this is a common situation when you smash on someone, they do a weak block, and you follow up with a forward jumping smash. at least i do.

13. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    well it must be an insanely weak mis-hit block that flicked up stupidly high for you to be able to jump-forward smash it. unless your actually talking about a tap kill and not a smash.

if the weak block was a weak/low clear, there is no need to jump.
    if it is a normal clear, you should have enough time to move into position properly.

there are no clear advantages of jumping forwards to do a smash, but there are many disadvantages.
    the only advantage i can think of is if you were too lazy to move your position (which is a poor reason anyway)
    or you were almost certainly going to win the point and jumping forwards would intimidate your opponent perhaps and you didn't have to worry about recovery for subsequent shots.

14. amleto

amleto Regular Member

It sounds like you are not thinking of the 'correct' forward jump for JS. The forward jump will not include a step forward. It is a two footed jump that goes forward at maybe ~15 degree angle.

look at the gade example at ~34s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58EP86PY9rM&feature=related

15. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    i consider this a jump up, not a jump forwards. look at his left foot. it takes off and lands in the same place. he just rotated into the smash so his back foot landed forwards. he did not jump forwards.
    any jump up can include a slight variation in the horizontal plane.

jumping forwards is entirely different issue.
    see vid for "jumping forwards - volleyball style" as the OP asks. the players travel forwards, jump up and forwards 3-5 feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfJi8KLhtlg

#15 BaggedCat, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012