Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On the fast track, Thai teen Inthanon yearns to slow down

Anamika Nandedkar, Hindustan Times
    New Delhi, April 26, 2012

http://www.hindustantimes.com/sports...e1-846234.aspx

The shots which Inthanon Ratchanok bombarded her opponent with, one did not expect them to come from a 17-year-old. But then, this is no ordinary teenager. The petite shuttler from Thailand had the distinction of being the world junior champion for three years in a row (2009-11), which is a record.

The junior days behind her, she is ranked 10th in the world, and to achieve the ranking at such a young age, Ratchanok has played in over 24 tournaments over the last 12 months. For the uninitiated, a shuttler in top-20 usually plays 12-14 tournaments in a year.

Too much strain

This hectic play-athon was the reason she suffered a foot injury a month ago, which surfaced again on Wednesday at the Siri Fort Sports Complex. She was leading 23-21, 18-10 when disaster struck and had to retire from the first round with the score reading 23-21, 19-21, 11-6.

“Yes, I think I play too many tournaments, the schedule is too tight, especially for someone as young as me. This has made my condition worse,” Ratchanok said after the match.

She has not won a tournament after the victory in the Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold in Lucknow last year and blames the dry run to frequent travel.

Hailing from a modest background, she found mentors to support her. And playing more tournaments translated into “making more money”.

Ratchanok said she had informed her federation that she wanted to rest and recover from her injury. Yet, she was asked to participate in the Australian Open GP and India Open. “They wanted me to play more tournaments so that I get a good seeding in the London Olympics,” she said.

As the Olympic qualification period ends with the India Open, she’ll finally take a few weeks off.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Badminton Association of India - another bureaucratic black hole?

There are just a clutch of Super Series tournaments played every year all over the world.

Most countries consider it an honour to host such an important event. The organisers, and the local associates and sponsors generally make it a point to post regular, daily updates on news, pictures, videos, interviews and such on their websites. The national association for badminton in that country does much of the same.

It is all conspicuous by it's absence at the India Open Super Series 2012.

You get more info from the papers, the newspapers' sites, and from members on BC who take the trouble of informing others what's happening. And of course, there's always tournamentsoftware.

But go to the BAI website, and you're in for a huge disappointment if you were hoping for any exciting updates.
    http://www.badmintonindia.org/
    Under "News and Updates" you will find this:

Name:  BAI-read-more.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  38.7 KB

Click on the "read more" link and a new window opens that takes you straight away to....... tournamentsoftware!

And that's about all that the custodian of the second-most-played-sport-in-India has to offer the world for the most prestigious event it hosts in the calendar.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Badminton: Indonesian Shuttlers Get Roughed Up in First Round
    Ami Afriatni | April 25, 2012

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/badmi...t-round/514092

Excerpts:

The opening round of the India Open Super Series sent an early warning to Indonesia less than three months before the start of the London Olympics.

Most of the country’s shuttlers, including the top men’s singles player, Simon Santoso, tumbled out in the first round of the $200,000 tournament in New Delhi on Wednesday.

...Another men’s singles player, Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka, also went home early, losing, 21-17, 21-15, to China’s Wang Zhengming.

The country’s female shuttlers also struggled, with all of the singles players crashing out on the opening day.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Name:  jin-chen-china-returns-shot-20120425-073424-664.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  20.2 KB

Jin Chen of China returns a shot against Wing Ki wong of Hong Kong during the Yonex-Sunrise India Open 2012 badminton tournament at the Siri Fort Sports Complex in New Delhi on April 25, 2012. AFP PHOTO/ MANAN VATSYAYANA (Photo credit should read MANAN VATSYAYANA/AFP/Getty Images)

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Name:  lxr-india2012.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  29.8 KB
    Li Xuerui plays Petya Nedelcheva. "I'm stuck! Un-bandage me!"

Name:  p-kashyap-io2012.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  138.7 KB
    P Kashyap in round 1 "A little to the right, please..."

Name:  Saina-io2012.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  11.6 KB
    Streamlined Saina... "Is 5 kg enough, do you think?"

Name:  adcock-Ellis.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  93.8 KB
    Adcock & Ellis. "Say, hold on, what are we doing here??!!" "The curry, Chris! Concentrate on the curry!"

Name:  chen-jin-io2012.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  73.6 KB
    Chen Jin: "I think I'll just sit here for a while, and get my breath back. How many more tournaments before I definitely get that #4???"

Name:  taufik-io2012.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  84.0 KB
    Taufik: "Did I just hear something go rrrip???"

Name:  saina-ashwini-io2012.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  30.4 KB
    Local beauty pageant: "I'm a winner!"

Name:  fujii-kakiiwa-io2012.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  91.4 KB
    Fujii & Kakiiwa: "Mine! All mine!!!"
    Last edited by cobalt; 04-25-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Name:  gade-io2011.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  17.4 KB
    Peter the Great. The Great Dane. Saint Peter. The real Peter Pan of badminton.
    "Hold on, hold on! I'm not done yet! See you again, tomorrow. The race is between me and CJ. His bad back; my ankle."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice....

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent, Cobalt!!! Now all you need are more pics of the surroundings .......

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

At your service, Sir!

The Siri Fort complex is fairly gigantic, and apart from the sport complex, it also houses the Siri Fort Auditorium, a veritable cultural terminus in India's capital, that hosts every kind of cultural event, from art openings, to musical evenings, international cultural troupes, plays and much more.

Name:  siri0001.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  90.7 KB
    The Sichuan cultural troupe performed at this venue about a year ago, during a weeklong "Experience Sichuan" promotion.

Name:  siri0002.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  55.1 KB
    Tina Saini of Pakistan and Peenaz Masani of India share the stage at a "Ghazal" performance night at the Fort. Outdoor performances in the late evening in Delhi can be especially beautiful.

Name:  siri0003.png
Views: 836
Size:  136.0 KB
    Sometimes however, even great people have to make, er, allowances...

Name:  siri0004.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  42.4 KB
    What? Who? Is that a new movie playing at the Auditorium?

Name:  siri0005.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  21.7 KB
    Animation festival

Name:  siri0006.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  87.3 KB
    Nubile nymphets performing.

Name:  siri0007.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  62.6 KB
    More nubile nymphets performing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any gurus here knows why men's-doubles korean pair LeeYD/ JungJS would travel all the way there just to concede a walkover on their opening match???
    and its against an indian pair too...sabotage?...diarrhea perhaps?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hanser View Post
    any gurus here knows why men's-doubles korean pair LeeYD/ JungJS would travel all the way there just to concede a walkover on their opening match???
    and its against an indian pair too...sabotage?...diarrhea perhaps?
    Strangely enough, I couldn't find any article or post with the reason. Its possible he wasn't in good physical condition; I recall he withdrew from the MO earlier this year as well. And I believe he has announced he will be retiring from the sport; there is a separate thread on that topic...

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default R-16 image diary

Name:  io2012-001.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  137.1 KB
    Wang Shixian: "How I wish this were at that guy's face!"

Name:  io2012-002.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  95.8 KB
    Bae Youn Joo: "Am I good, or what! And the curry ain't so bad, either!"

Name:  io2012-003.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  17.7 KB
    Chen Jin: "Please, someone tell me Gade has lost? Can I lie down now, plllleeeeeeeease???"

Name:  io2012-004.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  81.2 KB
    Waiting for the serve to begin: "You are beginning to feel sleepy.... veerrrrrryyyyy slleeeepppyyy.... veeerrrrrrrrryyyyy....."

Name:  io2012-005.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  86.5 KB
    "Look out! behind you!" "What?!! Where!!!"

Name:  io2012-006.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  120.0 KB
    Taufik: "Darn pesky mosquitoes! Oh, it's only Zhengming, again..."

Name:  io2012-007.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  155.9 KB
    Li Xuerui: "Still stuck from yesterday. But thanks for changing my clothes and bandages, elder sister!"

Name:  io2012-008.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  89.3 KB
    Peter Gade: "Yup, check. Still here!"

Name:  io2012-009.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  24.4 KB
    Zen Master: "Like a finger (still) pointed at the sky."
    Last edited by cobalt; 04-26-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A hazy, cloudy delhi greeted me to my 1st day at the IO12 yesterday. Having landed in the afternoon and a quick shower & change at the hotel i headed straight to Siri Fort to get right into the midst of Rupesh & Sanave locked in an exciting tussel against the Korean Kim's.

For the paltry crowd gathered more specifically to watch the antics of Jwala Gutta who is being accompanied by her new beau (ex Indian cricketer) the MD match offered quiet a few thrils and spills with Sanave Thomas in particular comingup with a ripping reverse side trickshot smash to get the Indians into a lead of 19-17 in the final game.

Rest of my thoughts on yesterday will follow soon along with a few hazy pic's

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avataar View Post
    A hazy, cloudy delhi greeted me to my 1st day at the IO12 yesterday. Having landed in the afternoon and a quick shower & change at the hotel i headed straight to Siri Fort to get right into the midst of Rupesh & Sanave locked in an exciting tussel against the Korean Kim's.

For the paltry crowd gathered more specifically to watch the antics of Jwala Gutta who is being accompanied by her new beau (ex Indian cricketer) the MD match offered quiet a few thrils and spills with Sanave Thomas in particular comingup with a ripping reverse side trickshot smash to get the Indians into a lead of 19-17 in the final game.

Rest of my thoughts on yesterday will follow soon along with a few hazy pic's
    hey my friend
    enjoy ur trip
    and all the best to india player!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tine Baum was wiping down after hvng lost her match and Schenk was walking of waving to crowd who managed to figure out her last name.

It was now time to concentrate on the Indian youngster Sindhu in her most prominent match at home against her more fancied opponent. Well, she was dominant all thru the match as the Korean never found her range or rhythm. Even the 2nd game when SJY caught up and closed the deficit to 13-15 & 17-17 all she left herself with much chasing to do.

It was a story of contrasting body language with both the Korean WS's while SJY was lethargic and even nervous at not being able to read Sindhu's game BYJ was focussed and intense. Even being down 10-14 in the 1st she clawed her way back with crosscourt slices flumoxing SN who went into her "clueless & unable to change tactic" mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The japanese wd

Misaki Matsutomo qualifies for the "cutie" club as am sure has been already said in the BC forum before. For once not having a bazooka camera to capture pictures of the many mood's is a bit dissapointing

Whilst the 2nd seeded pair of Fujii & Kakiiwa had an easy outing against the veteran Malaysian WD, their team mates Maeda & Suetsuna played out a batlle of attrition against the Indonesian pair which seemed to be going on and on and on.

Overall a good day for the jap WD as the 3 pairs moved into the QF's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Taufik's taming of the young Chinese Cub

Its amazing how TH can appear so indifferent while playing his matches. From being comfortably in command to letting his opponent back in and giving the impression of not being able to do much to stage a come back............

All these shades of Taufik were on display in his match against Zhengming. TH seemed to be not into the match during the 1st game but the turnaround in the 2nd game saw him toying with WZ & delighting the crowd with his smashes.

And the young chinese did not do himeslf any favor's either in the 3rd when he let go of a 10-7 lead to lose 11 points in a row. TH clearly dominated and the way he slowed down the 3rd game to force the chinese to play at his pace was a delight for me who hasnt watched live badminton for a while now ....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast