Old string pattern (OSP) vs new string pattern (NSP)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by visor, Apr 14, 2012.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Since this is a function of the racket design, not of the string itself, I decided to put it in the racket forum.

I've played with both and much prefer the NSP. Somehow there is more power, control and feel with less shared holes, like the 80 holes Victor MX series and the VTZF, especially at the top of the racket where the critical sweet spot is located.

What do you guys think? :)

#1 visor, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I think it's hard to say... short of getting two identical blank racquets and drilling the holes different on both to determine if there is actually a difference.

I have a Ti-10 and it's OSP and it gives plenty of power and control. I also have a MX80 and it's the same. I get a bit more control on the MX80 probably because it's noticeably stiffer, but it's easier to get power out of the Ti-10.

BTW on the MX 80 do you string with the recommended pattern? I use 2 piece and so far it's ok.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Being a stringer I tend to look at the patterns in terms of breakage as well, and in this regard the Z pattern is my favourite by far, followed by OSP, then NSP.

In terms of play, the Z pattern has been my favourite - I seem to find it a wee bit stiffer than OSP.

4. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I dunno about you, but that cross grommet at the bottom of the Mx80 is a royal pain for me.
    Normally I go top down 2-piece and by the end just to get the string thru... ungh...

5. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

I don't really notice a difference when playing. However, as a stringer, I much prefer the NSP. However, they are not all that great. Some rackets with the NSP have all the grommets lined up straight beside eachother which makes it a royal pain to thread the cross string near the top of the frame. However some racket companies like Yonex make it easier for us stringings by spacing the grommets through the top and bottom of the frame which saves a lot of trouble and hassle.

6. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

What are the advantages of OSP? I think all of my rackets have some form of NSP so I can't compare.