Head heavy | even balance | head light ?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by nz2010, Apr 15, 2012.

1. nz2010

nz2010 Regular Member

Hi everyone on BC.com,

I'm sure we are always try to play with an opponent that kind of better than us, so that we can improve and get better in our games :).

So my question is: If you are playing double with an opponent and let says your opponent is half a grade better then you are i.e. if you are a B grade and your opponent is like B+ or A- grade. Then which racket would you prefer to play against them? Would you play with head heavy so you can attack more or go for head light so you can improve your defense, or stick to even balance type of racket?

Would be great to get all of your comments.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

You opened the thread to all opinions, so here's mine as a middle-aged recreational player. :eek:

When I got the chance to play with some better players on a semi-regular basis, I had the same sort of thoughts you had: If I'm not faring that well at first, while my skills are slowly improving, is there any temporary help in changing rackets?

I usually like an even balanced racket. But since I can't seem to power through my new opponents, should I go head heavier? Against my my new opponents I am struggling to get my racket on their smashes, deal with their net play and overall speed. So should I go head lighter? I can't match their precision: should I go stiffer? Etc. etc. etc.

The right answer for me was to play the racket with which I've always been most comfortable. There was no short-cut to keep up with those guys. Faster feet, a readier arm, and a quicker mind are the only cures worth focusing on.

Your favourite all-round racket will do its part -- all you need to do is get it to where it needs to be at the right time. ;)

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    your question come with a questionable premise.

if changing the racket, be it the headlighter or headheavier one, gives you an advantage over a stronget opponent, then shouldn't you be using that racket even when not playing this person?

so in other words, your premise is that your are using an "inferior" racket to begin with and you should change to this "better" racket.

but when that happens, it also means that nothing needs to be changed when you play this better opponent.

4. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there nz2010,

The qualities of all your shots from whatever type of racket that you used will only be justified if the specification that comes with that racket suits best with your style of play.

Regardless of what specification that you what the racket to have, your decision to choose any of it clearly has no logic relation what so ever in regard with the level of your opponent has because its you that will wield that racket in your hand and not them and therefore, its you that need to decide and identify that perfect bond between your type of play and that preferred specification that you want it to exist in that racket.

There are a valid point to understand all the head balance info. that comes with a racket as you mention correctly here as part of the preferred specification that you want it to exist in a racket but then, if all the qualities of your shot has able to give you satisfactory results from all the offensive, defensive and control department so then, that racket will be your racket of choice, regardless of what head balance that comes with it.

SS

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i don't really think your racket would affect you that much tho, i think no matter what racket you're using you should always use the same racket.

6. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I would definitely use the racquet I am most comfortable with... The last thing you want is to lose points because you're unfamiliar with racquet.