Determine A Good Stringer......

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by fhchiang, Aug 9, 2003.

1. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

how can i determine whether or not he's a good stringer by looking at my racquet?

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    1. Replacement of grommets where necessary.
    2. Unburned strings during the pulling stages of stringing.
    3. Make sure that the stringer only uses one or two piece stringing and he or she is not trying to cut corners by using a piece of string that isn't long enough for the string job and thereby having more than 2 or 4 knots.
    4. Generally the same frame shape as before being strung.
    5. Undamaged string
    6. Undamaged frame i.e cracks ( some issues arise when the consumer doesn't examine the racquet before getting it strung )

That's all i can think of at the moment i'll post some more if i come up with anything.

Nick

3. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Talk to people that has had strings done by the stringer.

Try & find out what kind of machine they use.
    Someone using a freeweight stringing machine will need much more skill/experience to do the same job as someone that has a pulley or electronic stringing machine. Even then they'll probably put more stress on the racquet with a cheaper machine due to it having fewer clamps etc.

4. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

Another way to check if a stringer is good at his job is to see how the strings are threaded where there are more than 2 strings going through one hole. If the stringer takes pride in his handy work, both strings should pull through evenly and nicely. If they are in a rush or don't care, the strings usually cross between the said grommet holes.

Also, if they know about proportional stringing techniques - chances are they know their stuff! :D

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    - tension is what you had asked for, not less , not more.

I have checked other stringers work by asking owner's what tension did he/she ask for. In many instances, the tension is higher than what the user had specfied, for example, a 22 lb request feels like 25 lbs. This mean the racquet was distorted more than normal and the stringer had to pull the cross higher than 22lbs (25+) to pull the racquet back into shape. It means that stringer strings by 'hope for the best' method.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree with ur assumption, but wondering how u know the exact tension?

I mean, how u determin how "hard" a 22lb suppose to be, and how "harder" a 25 lb suppose to be??? Never have to metion, different string does give different hand feeling. To my own experience, Ti string does feel harder than none Ti ones.

Also, for string with feature like losing tension easily (i.e. BG65), intially string 1-2 lbs higher is acceptable to me.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

LB, there are many ways to tell.
    This user told me his cab20 got strung too hard although he said he had asked for 22 lb like any other time from other stringers, that's why i did a finger press test. I accept the fact it's it not a definitive method but i have strung many rackets b4 and i can tell the different between 22 and 25+ lbs. I've said 25+ because i was being conservative, it felt at least 25lbs. This guy already played 2 nights of MD, i'm sure the tension had settle at least 1 lb already. That cab 20 string bed should feel like 20 to 21 lbs, not 25+. You might like 1 or 2 lb more initially but it is not stringer's job to make assumption for each and everybody (unless the client say so in the beginning).

The point here is not whether i know it was exactly 3lb or not over 22lbs but rather it was a lot tighter than what the user had asked for, and i had confirmed his doubt that his racket string felt a lotta tighter than his usual 22 lbs.

#7 cooler, Aug 17, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2003
  8. badmad

badmad Regular Member

cooler, delving deeper... Is there any way to know what tension a racket is strung at? Strings in my racket don't seem tighter to me but my friend says that it's alright. Can I find out the string tension?

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

individually of the cross and the main, or as total string bed?

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Can't buy that one. Those pros stringers string racquets in half an hour. They are not going to worry about cross strings within the grommet.

11. Toaster

Toaster Regular Member

If you are in a big city which host badminton tournments, maybe u can find out who the stringer is at the tournment....
    if he/she is no good, guess the tournment organisers wont arrange for them to be there in the first place...

12. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

at www.stringmeter.com they sell a device to measure string tension on a strung racquet.

BUT, it doesn't work for badminton racquets. I think it is only for tennis and racketball. And I don't know how accurate it would be anyway.

so, not much help to you there then.
    sorry
    Neil

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I can't totally agree.

For many local tournies, the stringer(s) (also dealers) are actually the sponsor(s) of the tournies. Therefore, regardless how good or bad (lucky, not too many) they could be, they are always the top (maybe only) candidates.