Flying clamps vs Fixed clamps, first mains

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by yan.v, Apr 15, 2012.

1. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    So my fixed clamps have been stored in my toolbox for a while since they are tennis clamps. Tonight I wondered how much tension I lose on the first mains when I use my flying clamps, so I decided to measure the resulting tension in the same way Kwun did for his contest (http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...T-Guess-the-tension-loss-(with-MORE-PRIZE!!!).

The tension was measured at A1 while pulling tension at A2. The only difference with Kwun's method is that I did not wait a full minute to take the measure and did an average of 3 pulls, taking the tension after a couple seconds.

Here's the result:

Pulling tension at A2: 30 lbs
    Resulting tension at A1: 21,9 lbs!

A 27% tension loss! Now, we all knew there was some tension loss, but I never expected it to be so big. Also, this can vary depending on grommet friction. The test was done on a MX80, but on an old Yonex racket, the tension loss was even bigger because the grommet resistance was bigger.

I have installed my fixed clamps back until my badminton clamps get here (hopefully tomorrow).

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when you string your racket, do you repull A1 after you are done with A2?

3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I've actually been using a different method, shown in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO9qWaom4cg

N
    ever really pulled from A2, but I decided to do the test with A2 since it's quite a standard method in badminton. However, when I string one of my rackets and wanna do fast, I just put a starting clamp at b1 and pull B1 (similar to A1 and A2) and I do not repull b1.

I don't think I'll ever do that again :p I don't know why, but I just assumed that the tension loss was small on a pull like that.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I do the following:

Lock M1 (slack) at the top;
    Pull M2 and clamp;
    Pull M1 and let the WISE reach target tension, release M1's clamp and pluck M1, then clamp M1 at the bottom.

M1's pitch rises noticeably when it's plucked a few times - it's the zero inside the clamp being pulled out. Might make sense to try plucking with the flying clamp method as well.