Chinese Diversity

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Miqilin7, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    China is a nation that is proud of her history and people's identities. Since the nation's demography is broken down to hundreds of ethnic group composition.

Do you reckon the Chinese badminton team practiced the same cultural and racial diversity as well?

We can roughly guess the players' origin and ethnic identity based on their region and name.

Without a doubt, the largest ethnic group is Han Chinese but there are a few that could be of different ancestry.

Here are my wild guess:

Notable Han Chinese:

Lin Dan
    Cai Yun
    Fu Haifeng (partially Indonesian Chinese)
    Wang Xiaoli
    Chen Jin
    Chen Long
    Wang Shixian
    Tian Qing
    Zhang Nan
    Zhao Yunlei

Notable Manchus:

Zhang Ning
    Wang Xin
    Yu Yang
    Li Yongbo (has some Manchu roots)

Hui Chinese:

Ma Jin (very big possibility she could be a Muslim. Ma is a very common surname for Mainland Chinese Muslims) - I remember during Wembley, it was a Ramadan fasting period, she didn't touch her drink during intervals..throughout the tournament

Others:

Wang Yihan (a Shanghai-nese native, she could be anything lol!)
    Wang Lin (could have Miao/Zhuang Origin, she has quite a dark complexion)
    Bao Chunlai (not sure :p)

#1 Miqilin7, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Whilst. Much is made of the ethnic groups in china and they are each celebrated to some degree or other, with time mamy people will be mixed in anycase and therfore telling purely on looks is difficult or impossible.

It is an interesting subject though if anyone has any info!

3. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Zhang Ning, Wang Xin and Yu Yang are pure Manchurians with a sinicized Han Chinese name

Look at Zhang Ning, her features are so different and WX plus YY shared something in common too in terms of their looks that are not typical Han.

Three of them originated from Liaoning province that has quite a large percentage of Manchurians residing in that region.

Chances are high for them to belong to that ethnic group that once conquered China before the Xinhai Revolution.

Whereas, Lin Dan is a proud Hakka person from Fujian province, which makes him a pure Han Chinese. Well most of the southerners are 90 percent Han Chinese, unless you have Miao/Tujia/Zhuang/Yi or commonly Hui heritage like Ma Jin (most probably!!)

#3 Miqilin7, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Dont get me wrong, i am not questioning your assessment, i just think it is hard to categorise as 90% of all chinese are han anyway andnothers are mixed.

And within the ethnic groups you have many different looks as well. Zhang ning looks similar to YY for example, bu WX doesnt.

5. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Non-Han Chinese people usually assimilate into the majority's culture and society by adopting a Han-sounding Chinese surnames.

That is one way of evaluating/guessing their ethnicity. Wang Xin is a good example for surname adoption.

Her Wang surname is not a common character. Unlike Wang Shixian and Wang Yihan's character of 王 which stands for King, hers is quite strange as which is used as adverb for noise in Chinese sentence...although it could be potentially used as a surname but some ethnic minorites tend to stick to the funny sounding names with a different underlying meaning to highlight their difference subtly.

Like Ma Jin's surname, it is conventionally known as Horse but in a Muslim context, hers could be Muhammad or anything related to Hui/Uyghur culture. Just a guess. :)

That's one way of looking at it from my perspective.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hmm, my cousin is a "Ma" but no way is he a muslim!

7. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    IMHO. Because of the Japanese invasion and Civil war, many Chineses were migrating from time to time. It is very difficult to tell which races they are just simply based on their last names or where they were born especially these younger generations.

8. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Wow! I completely understand China is made up of different minotiries and ethnicities but it amazes me that one is able to tell by the last name what the ethnicity is!! Or even by the physical appearance! To me LYB is no different than any other chinese players. This is raising my goosebumps.

9. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Some players are quite obvious...like Yu Yang/Zhang Ning. You tell straight they do not look like a Han Chinese. They look let's say very "different"

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Really? Names are usually quite diagnostic of where people come from? Eg. Bjorn scandanavian, o'connor irish etc...

11. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    How about Qing Tian? In my opinion, she does not like Han ethnic... She is more into Manchu or Hui/Uyghur

For FHF, Does he have any ancestor from INA?

12. laonong

laonong Regular Member

does Sony and Taufik have any ancestor from east Asia? They do not look like Indonesians to me.

13. laonong

laonong Regular Member

Han Chinese itself is not genetically defined. You can easily see the difference by comparing Han people from Shangdong and Guangdong.

14. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    This is a thread for Mainland Chinese ethnicity. Create a new thread for the subject above.

And no, both look like Malay/Javanese to me.

15. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Han Chinese and Manchu are completely different people. Han Chinese descended from the mythical Yellow Emperor where Manchu people are desert people/barbarians originated from Changbai Mountain with the same roots as the Koreans/Jurchens.

Lin Dan is definitely a Han Chinese from south China similarly to Fu Haifeng but the latter does look very weird in the way he has that South East Asian resemblance maybe because his father was Indonesia Chinese so the looks are messed up genetically alittle but hey that's where he got his good looks from :)

16. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Wow.. are you sure that his father is Indonesia Chinese?

17. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    tumblr_lc74nyC4jO1qz5d9jo1_400.jpg

His father was wearing a Malay/Indon batik during an interview with Fu Haifeng...how often do you come across a Mainland chinese dude wearing a traditional custom from another country. I felt strange at first about Fu Haifeng's heritage because he does look very different in sense that he didnt strike me as someone who was born and raised in China.

18. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Li Xuerui, despite from Chongqing doesnt look like a Han Chinese at all. Her looks are different as well. Could be a Manchu too

19. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    There are many variances in looks in all countries. I would be surprised if the % split of ethnic groups was much different from the overall split. Unless we know it is kust speculation. Hopefully someone can give us some facts...anyone?

Just because someone is an indonesian chinese doesnt mean they are INA ethnic..they could have just lived there and come back, so they are still 100% the same as before...

20. laonong

laonong Regular Member

don't be too sure about your ability to tell whether one is Han or non han Chinese

except Hui muslim whose ancester came from middleeast. There are also some Hui muslim are in fact Han Chinese. They just have different religious belief.

My friend whoes ancester is a famous Qin emperor but I did not know he's manchurian till another friend told me about this many years later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.