New racket - trying something new??

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by pikachu26134, Apr 18, 2012.

1. pikachu26134

pikachu26134 Regular Member

Student
    I am 14 yo, 6ft 2in and pretty strong for my age, but not ripped or anything of the sort. I play with mainly offensive strokes. I'm a good player, competing in U17 tournaments - only my net play and smash/drive defense really let me down.So recently, my arcsaber 100LTD JP broke at 29lbs (I know... That was the previous owner's fault... Just forgot to restring...) following a jump smash. The racquet head is warped, it was upsetting... My fallback racquet is an arcsaber 8DX but Im not a fan of it. I struggled with net play with my 100 and my defensive shots were sometimes too slow due to the heavyish head, although the racquet is very comfortable for attacking/smashing etc. I'm wondering if I should play to my strengths with a Head heavy, medium racquet or I should change to something stiffer and lighter.I'm open to all brands, I'm in New Zealand so some brands are a little hard to get a hold of but everything should be within reason. I play singles and doubles as much as one another. No budget in mind, I'd prefer quality of racquet against aesthetics.Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Ambushes

Ambushes Regular Member

The Arc 100 is even balance so if you thought that was heavy then definitely do not go for something like the Z-Force.

3. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    @pikachu26134

What is your current string tension & string type on your Arcsaber 100LTD?

Arc100LTD which specs is the same with Arc 7 as some people claims. It has medium weight of head & medium stiffness as well. It is not a demanding racket, in short.

4. pikachu26134

Student
    It is a 3UG4 and was strung with BG80 at 29lbs. Much too high for me... As it was bought secondhand. I play with 24lbs usually and that string or BG66 ultimax.

5. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    No wonder you can't execute decent smash with that...Arc 7 or Arc 100 is a user friendly racket.. Just readjsut your string & string tension, if you decided to buy same type racket.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

you're probably too powerful for your current racket, as you're feeling the lag of the racket head... that's what you meant when you say that the racket head was heavy

what you need is a stiff(er) slightly head heavier racket than your current one

arc10 perhaps, or vt70

7. pikachu26134

Student
    What of the Nanospeed and Nanoray? Can you also recommend any other brand models? (Again, not worried about budget)

8. visor

visor Regular Member

those are more for doubles, imo

just as an indication, if you look at what the pro yonex men players use, i don't see nanoray used at all... maybe ns9900

9. pikachu26134

Student
    Well what would you recommend? I've played voltric z force and -as already stated- it was not comfortable at all. I like control which I'm just lacking a bit at the moment. I can smash to win a rally but sometimes find inconsistency in cross court drops and smash returns and push shots. I like voltric 70, I'm curious about Nanospeed 9900 although I understand it is a 2009 racquet. Can you recommend any victor racquets? Or stick to yonex? And any further suggestions on racquets I should try?

10. visor

visor Regular Member

if you want more control, you'll need stiff(er) rackets

mx70 is an excellent choice from victor

11. pikachu26134

Student
    Ok, so voltric 70 and victor mx70? You don't recommend the bravesword series? And Li-Nings, are they a bit overpriced for what they are?

12. Ambushes

Ambushes Regular Member

Meteor series from Victor is good. Shouldn't be too hard to come from the Arcsaber 100. (Note the MX80 will be more stiff, so if you don't want that go for the MX70 or MX60.)

Braveswords are an option if you want the speed. You can only really get good power from them if you have a good swing.

Li Ning N90 and N90II are good. N90II would be an easier transition for sure. They aren't too expensive, around the same as high end Yonex, maybe a bit more.

Also you might want to try the Victor SW35.

13. pikachu26134

Student
    What difference does the SW35 have to the others? Li-Ning in my area cost around 400NZD, which is huge considering victor mx70 is 220NZ