Racquet Recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by catherinem, Apr 18, 2012.

1. catherinem

catherinem Regular Member

Hi everyone,

I play badminton at a beginner level (it's been almost two years!) and i've been wanting to buy a new racquet.

I play mostly doubles, and have weak arm strength. I am substantially better at netting so I usually stay closer to the the front. Clearing isn't a problem but I have some difficulty smashing nicely.

I don't feel like I need to approach the high-end racquets yet, so does anyone have any recommendations for which racquets I could try for? And also, any good places to buy them in Sydney?

2. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

How about a shorter racket with slight heaviness and good flexibility, so you get a nice combination of good maneuverability, control and power?

Then the Babolat Satelite 6.5 Light might be interesting ... pro quality for an intermediate price.

Just a first thought, because I find my good old Satelite Chrono still to be a great allrounder. It's similar to the new Light model, but is a bit head havier (305mm) and has a medium flexible shaft.

PS: Though standard length and similar head heavy to my Chrono, the Yonex Voltric 5 might be interesting too, because it has a good maneuverability though.

But I bet, others might have further recommendations.

#2 Aymara, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  3. pikachu26134

pikachu26134 Regular Member

Student
    I would personally use an arcsaber 008 or a voltric 7. I know the two are commonly recommended in conjunction but they're both dependent racquets that make for well rounded play. Don't expect any turn ups with your smash, because it could just be down to technique, so don't be disappointed if you can't smash at 200km/h. It's a nicely balanced racquet (even, which is often the best bet for a player who has no preference as of yet) with good power. Voltric 7 is an attacking, slightly head heavy racquet but is not as demanding as the powerful voltric 80. If you want something more defensive, try the nano speed 2000. If too expensive, look at the nano speed 990. They are all intermediate racquets, I would not recommend buying clones, fakes, or cheap racquets because they're not worth it having played for two years. Hope this helps.

4. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

try to get medium entry rackets. the nanoray is designed for fast exchange doubles. you should try the nanoray 80 or 100 if you want a stiff almost balanced head or the nanoray 60 which is head light and medium stiff

5. catherinem

Thank you for all the replies!

I've done some research around the recommendations and gosh there are so many choices! The Babolat Satelite 6.5 Light is looking pretty good for me, as are the VT5/7 and Nanoray 80. The Arcsaber 008, Nanospeed 2000 and Nanoray 100 seem a bit out of my preferred pricing but also seem to be wonderful racquets.

The range available where I am is pretty limited (and expensive at that!) so I may succumb to online purchasing :( Would have preferred to try them out personally but.. Thanks again! :)

6. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

One last word about the VT7 ... check UK coach Paul's reviews ... the VT7 is too light for a beginner in my opinion and not worth the extra money over the VT5.

7. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

PS: One further thought ... which grip sizes do you prefer?

I ask, because Babolat has only one grip size, that's nearly the same as Yonex G3.

8. trapatoni

trapatoni Regular Member

students
    if you find any apacs nano 900 power,you shoul try it :)

9. catherinem

Thanks Aymara!

I'm actually consider getting a Barbolat X-Feel Blast (US$115). It's slightly pricier than the Satelite 6.5 Lite (US$109). Those prices are from mybadmintonstore, yet the X-Feel is only US$89 at e78 and the Satelite at US$83. Shipping is unincluded in both. Is there a good reason why i'd choose one over the other?

Any opinons?

10. catherinem

Regarding grip size, I actually have no idea. I've heard Babolats have a shorter grip but I don't think I can tell a difference.

And WOW. The Apacs nano 900 Power has a lovely price! I must go do some more research on that. Thank you!

11. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

Just a word about the VT 5 though! For a beginner, I'd recommend, you stay away from it for the time being. Its quite head heavy and you'll start hurting your arm and shoulder in no time without the right technique. Its good for those booming smashes because at 3U the racket already is heavy and after stringing and an overgrip (if you prefer that), the racket weight increases substantially which provides a lot of punch to your smashes but will be very difficult to control during defense.
    From my personal experience, I'd suggest that you go for the Arc 008 or even the new Yonex Arcsaber Omega. I tried it once from a friend of mine and I found it just about perfect for a beginner!
    Happy hunting!!!;)

12. catherinem

[FONT=Verdana, arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Oh no. I guess that also crosses off the B[/FONT]arbolat X-Feel Blast too!
    Thank you for that though, as that probably saved me some arm and shoulder pain!
    Reconsidering my choices. Yet again
    :confused:
    I haven't been able to find too much information on the Arcsaber Omega yet.
    Thanks again
    :)

13. catherinem

And I absolutely adore the Arcsaber 9FL. And i'm wondering if i'd really spend the money on it. I really don't think I will though. I haven't personally tried it but the look of it has really caught my eye. I lack the power to control it though. Pity.

14. uselessmail

The X-feel Blast????:eek::eek::eek:
    Thats a monster of a racket!!! At 88 gms unstrung, its one of the most heaviest ones out there! (Ok! That is definitely an over exaggeration! But you get my point!) Stay away from that until you've developed your power game. Along with the weight, its quite a stiff racket as well which will definitely not give you any purchase from your shots without an immaculate technique.

Regarding the Omega, well I just saw it last week in the hands of a friend of mine in the club. Its available here in Germany but I don't know much about the availability in Aus. If at all you can get your hands on it though, I'd highly recommend you try it out! Its even balance 86 gm racket with medium flex and is extremely forgiving.

15. catherinem

Hahaha! Oh what a fail on my behalf! I was too busy reading the wonderful reviews on it that I didn't notice the weight until you pointed the VT5 out! Will definitely keep that in mind next time :p

Sydney here is very sad in regards to range, with most of it being Yonex and are extremely overpriced compared to other places. Do you know around how much the pricing for it is?

16. catherinem

I've been looking around and there has been no information what-so-ever about the Omega :eek:
    I don't think i'll ever get my hands on one in Sydney :(

17. uselessmail

Well if you are interested in Babolat then you can definitely check out the X-feel Essential. Its light weight with a little more emphasis on the Head that way you can clear your shots easily but will be light enough for quick defense! Another racket which I was very satisfied with! It is in fact my wish list as well and is definitely gonna be my next purchase! It retails for around 95 Euros here.

18. catherinem

I think we might have a winner :) It'll have to be online though since I haven't seen any around here.

Thank you! :D Tell me how it goes!

19. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

For a beginner I think the Satelite Essential is the better choice, because it's a little bit shorter and more flexible.

I also think, that Catherine should check out, which grip size she needs. Should she need a bigger grip, she won't be satified with the current Babolat line-up, because ALL current Babolat models will become head light with a think grip ... we shouldn't forget, how much weight would be added with a thick grip tape. And there's currently no real head heavy Babolat available.

I highly recommend Catherine to visit a shop and check some rackets, how they feel. Buying online at this time, uninformed as she is ... no offence intended, it's normal for a beginner ... will very likely result in a disappointment.

I think, the hint that was given about potential arm and/or shoulder pain is very important. I learned it the hard way. I started 6 years ago with a cheap Babolat, that was much too heavy, 99g. Then after testing tons of racket in shops and on the court, I bought a Babolat Satelite Chrono, which was the only one, which felt great and didn't cause pain. It's 66cm short, really head-heavy (balance point 305mm), but is flexible and very easy to maneuver. I still love that racket very much. But I got a new Yonex VT5, which is exactly the same as the chrono, with the exception, that it's 375mm long and has an ISO head. It feels great and causes no pain ... in my case.

This shows, that racket choice is a very individual thing. What works for me, doesn't work for others.

So, Catherine, do yourself a favour as a beginner and try some rackets first. You need to find out, what feels right for you. I think, the only thing, we can tell you for shure is, that a stiff racket and/or high string tension will not be good for your untrained arm and shoulder.

20. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

Catherine,

don't miss what coach Paul has to say about racket choice.