badminton nutrition.wht should i eat if im serious in badminton.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Arcsaberz 5, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Arcsaberz 5

Arcsaberz 5 Regular Member

Playing badminton
    my target is to win the inter school competition which will be held next week. i scared i dont have enough stamina for the competition, due to fatigue. any1 can recommend me a badminton nutrition & food table suitable for everyday? i tried to find in the internet but it seems doesnt help me much with a blur image and unspecific food.

P:S perhaps this is a correct place to post about this eh? seems like i cant find a forum with nutrition.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

moderate amounts of protein and lots of pasta and complex carbohydrates (like sweet potato, yam, etc) for recovery

not too much greasy foods

3. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    In terms of food, you should be bringing simple foods that you can make or eat to fill your stomach FOR the tournament. If you notice, after a few hours of play your stomach grumbles and you mind yearns for food. While a nutritional diet is good for your body, I hope you plan to eat throughout the tournament too.

If you think about it, going to a tournament and eating a lunch during the tournament like you would any other day is crazy. You are using a lot of energy and your body is going to drain.

What you should do is bring a loaf of white bread and peanut butter or sandwich meat, fruits, possibly breakfast bars. After EVERY GAME, take 2 pieces of bread and ONE slice of meat or a layer of peanut butter and eat it. This will fill your stomach so you will not feel tired and give you some protein so your body can recover after the tournament. The point of the sandwich is to fill your stomach for a short period of time, your body should digest the food fast as opposed to weighing you down if it digests slow.

As well bring fruits like bananas, oranges, and apples and eat them every or every other game. This will keep your body sugar levels up so you do not run out of energy. Buy gatorade powder or other energy drinks for the day. Make sure to drink enough water to the point that you are hydrated.

4. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    Never eat junk foods.
    Never drink drinks with high sugar content.
    And never ever eat curry or anything spicy!

5. BigFC

BigFC Regular Member

\
    why shouldnt you eat anything spicy?
    spicy food is awesome :eek:

6. SnowLynx

SnowLynx Regular Member

Think following the general idea of weight loss diet should help? The food they list out are pretty good to keep yourself fit and healthy, oats, eggs, lean meat, grains, vegetables. Having regular workout sessions should help on the stamina.

On a more lol-larious thought, if one would consume so much garlic/spicy food a week before a tournament, could the lethal gas you release on tournament day intimidate your opponent? Is that even legal? 8D

7. myic90

myic90 Regular Member

student
    I'm no great nutritionist but i'll share what I know.

Diet's not going to get you any noticeable gains given your tournament is next week.

Just keep eating what you are eating now (assuming it's fairly clean of fats) and do normal workouts.

morning of the competition have slow energy releasing foods (trail mix, nuts is good.) Keep hydrated. Drink lots of water, avoid soda.

During the competition, nothing's better than bananas. Have some gatorade or other isotonic drinks as well.

After the competition, research a bit and create a personalized diet plan. That and your workout routine must help you get stronger and more powerful without gaining too much weight. stick to a low calorie diet filled with a lot of protein and some good carbs.

good luck.

8. Swift Freeze

Swift Freeze Regular Member

Student
    If you want a nutrional plan, do not eat white bread, white rice or white pasta, eat wholegrain/wholemeal bread, rice, and pasta.

I would not eat a sandwich after every game, all this will do is fill your stomach and make you heavy and tired as blood is pulled to digest this food. The less food in your stomach, the less blood needed to digest and absorb it through the intestines.

Make sure you have a relatively large breakfast, wholegrain toast, a couple of eggs, some fruit. Maybe some wholegrain cereal, oat based if you can. If you can fit that in. The more wholegrains you eat at breakfast, the more slow release energy you will have for the day.

For Lunch keep it simple, 2 wholegrain sandwiches with lean meats, eggs, fish, chicken, or turkey and veg. Preferably spinach as it contains Iron and this helps repair impact damage. I.E damage done by jumping, running and otherwise impacting your feet on the floor.

Alternatively you could have a wholegrain pasta salad or wholegrain rice salad or a quinoa salad. Again with lean meats and perhaps peas, brocolli, spinach and other iron rich vegetables. Red peppers are a good way to increase the rate at which you burn calories and keep your metabolism higher to digest more quickly.

For dinner, depending on how many days the tournament is and how far into it you are. You may consider eating some lean red meat, mince, steak etc as these are rich in Iron and other minerals that are abundant in red meats. Again stick to wholegrain carbohydrates and have plenty of vegetables.

Eggs contain everything apart from Vitamin C. So if you eat an orange, satsuma, clementin or something of the same family and a couple of eggs every day. You will cover all the vitamins etc. that you will need.

Avoid white carbohydrates, avoid red meats, avoid cheese, avoid chocolates. All these will weigh you down, create an unstable blood sugar level and generally degrade the performance of your body.

Fruits that are good to eat, bananas definitely. Slow release, rich in potassium and sodium to help with water retention and absorption as well as other minerals that are useful. Grapes, have a high water content as well as provide natural sugars to sustain blood sugar levels. If you need a quicker sugar pickup, try eating raisins, high in natural sugars and quickly digested. Strawberries and oranges are also possibilities.
    Between games, if you need to snack, you can eat fruit, a light yoghurt, you can have a lean meat whole grain sandwich with veg in it. Try to keep it relatively light. The lighter it is, the easier to digest and the better you will feel in the long run.

Drinks, make sure you stay fully hydrated, even a loss of 2% of water in your body will impair your performance considerably.

There are 3 types of drinks, Isotonic, Hypertonic and Hypotonic, please check the following drink to find out how to make all 3 of them at home. Generally it is through use of squash, juice, water, and salts in your home.

If you follow this nutritional plan as a loose diet and stick to wholegrains, lean meats fruit and veg and red meat once or twice a week depending on your activity level and avoid eating junk food like crisps, chocolate etc. too often. You will be in great shape overall. Especially if you exercise regularly and well also.

Hope any of this was helpful and good luck in your tournament!