A revelation

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mag, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I had something of a revelation when I played tonight, and I just felt I should share it with you all. It's silly, really, since I KNOW this but have been sloppy with it lately: a friend of mine pointed out that during stroke preparation I wasn't actively putting my elbow up as much as I used to. So, I started thinking very consciously about this. Getting ready for the stroke, racket up, then elbow up high, and BAM! The difference was dramatic. Smashing power increased, body rotation was better, placement got more accurate, drops were tighter, clears took much less effort and my strokes were harder to read (according to my opponents).

Make a mental note: remember to keep that elbow up high in the preparatory phase, almost point it to the roof, otherwise the arm won't "unfold" correctly!

:D

#1 Mag, Aug 11, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2003
  2. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    You'd better put this down as a STICKY just so that you don't forget! :D

3. fallen

fallen Regular Member

Congratulations Mag. I see you've move up from beginner to intermediate level. :)

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    It's my turn to sound silly.

Thanks Mag for talking about his.

I heard and read about keeping your elbow(s) and shoulder(s) up when you do forehand shots - clears, drops, smashes.

What does it really mean by this? I need some detail explaination on the :

1. Description
    2. Reason
    3. Method
    4. Practice method

for both shoulder(s) and elbow(s).

The only thing I know about keeping up is my left hand. Any help will be most appreciated. Some linked pic or diagram could be of good help as well, if any.

I want know if this would have any help on my smashes - it's been getting worst and worst of late when other aspects such as control and reflex had improved.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Oh yeah! This is so true... it's very important to keep your elbow up in all overhead shots preparation. I didn't learn this until I was getting pain in my elbow... a friend of mine told me about this elbow thingie and wham! Problem solved. I guess I was doing the proper swing for sometime until I got into a bad habit of doing fast drives and faster overhead shots... probably taking birdie way too low. Anyways thanks for bring this up, Mag!

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Hmpf! I take it that was meant as an insult?

:p

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    wilfred, I think Mag means after the bow-and-arrow preparation, the elbow needs to come up high in the first part of the swing for a good overhead action wether it be clear, smash, drop.

The theory is somewhere in BF about the shoulder, elbow, wrist being part of the swing action.

Have you ever seen a player hit an overhead with the elbow stuck out to the side of their body when the shuttle is above their head? It's quite common and inefficient, especially in those who grip their racquet in a manner similar to a hammer.

Some players can actually get quite good power playing with this hammer grip and bent elbow just by use of sheer physical strength. But it would be difficult to say that these people show any finesse.

8. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    I'm having trouble picturing this and I'm sure I look silly messing around with my elbow over my head for what seems like no apparent reason. When you say "elbow up high" I'm sure you don't mean higher than your wrist because that wouldn't be too efficient. And I think by "too low" you mean where you elbow is at the same height as your shoulder. But where exactly should your elbow be? Maybe I already have my elbow high and I just don't know it?

9. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    I, too, am not too clear on this. Pictures anyone?

10. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    I am very interesting in this topic. I will post a picture but we need some one to explain the elbow in the picture is high or low?

Attached Files:

11. chrisgin

chrisgin Regular Member

Analyst/Programmer
    Are we talking about the elbow of the racquet arm or non-racquet arm? I can understanding keeping the elbow of the non-racquet arm pointing up, but not the other one.

12. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    Are we talking about the elbow of the racquet arm or non-racquet arm? I can understanding keeping the elbow of the non-racquet arm pointing up, but not the other one.
    I think we are talking about the racket arm. My first coach ask us be sure your elbow up and arm straight when you hitting the shuttle. After coaching for a period of time, I find my smash sharper but isn't powerful enough. Now, I am under coaching by my second coach. He told me my smash is not smooth enough but it need a lot of time to correct my error. He think it isn't worth it. Recently, I pay more attention to the racket swing and body rotation. From the picture, the player is doing backswing and the elbow should be higher than shoulder or not? According to my first coah, the elbow should be higher than the shoulder and near the ear. Who can give me any idea ? Thanks!

13. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    What kind of a coach would not correct your incorrect technique because he doesn't think it's worth it?

14. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    I think my coach means it will cost me a lot of time and money.....:) If I insist him to correct my error, he will do it. But it will take me several months just practicing clear or smash.

15. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    OK, I'll try to up some pictures to illistrate this.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i always go to my favorite player Xia to look for some "standard" strokes.

here is one i grabbed from a match video.

notice the straight line formed by the shoulder and upper arm, and that straightline is horizontal with the ground and perpendicular to the net. the racket/racket lower arm, non-racket lower arm and the upper arm/shoulder forms a nice triangle.

the orientation is also important, notice the triangle is perpendicular to the net.

Attached Files:

17. chrisgin

chrisgin Regular Member

Analyst/Programmer
    I'm confused - in this picture both elbows are pointing down! Exactly when is the elbow of the racquet arm meant to point up? The only time I can picture it is in the follow through.

18. My99broke

My99broke Regular Member

Student
    When people say elbows pointing "UP" They mean level with your shoulders or around that area. Not too high that its at head level or not too low that its around your stomach-chest area. Having your elbow up helps one to follow through because you can pronate a lot easier

19. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    Kwun, thanks for your reply. I think this is preparation before hitting the shuttle. Would you go into details about the next stage? Is it pull your lower arm and wirst back and throw forward? Because my elbow is uncomfortable after this action.

20. chrisgin

chrisgin Regular Member

Analyst/Programmer
    Thanks for the pic. I'm curious as to the next phase as well, when the shot actually begins. Does the elbow get lowered when you 'wind up' for the shot or does the elbow stay there?

Also, are you supposed to bend your knees like they do in tennis when serving or not?