Sweden - Another Racquet Sport Nation that supposed to excel in badminton

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Miqilin7, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Sweden is no stranger to the racquet sport world, produced a lot of athletes who excelled in tennis and table tennis. But how come badminton is not one of the racquet sports which they are successful at.

I remember they used to have good players in the 80s or 90s but they hardly shine in the world stage. Compared to their Scandinavian counterpart, Denmark they lag by miles...what's the reason behind the lack of motivation to concentrate on developing badminton as their number 1 sport since they could replicate success from tennis and table tennis.

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Can you name me a Danish tennis player not named Wozniacki (if you even want to call her a Dane :D)? But it is a question asked before indeed. Perhaps a huge country + small population + small sport = small potential. I don't think the money is there after juniors or perhaps for better coaches. Their last headcoach, a Swede himself, I believe was now coaching Tine Baun at the Euro's ...
    But we have plenty of Swedes here to answer and who knows there might be an article floating around out there already.

#2 demolidor, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  3. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    i was wondering as well...especially since sweden had produced world champs before in the 80s and 90s while Malaysia, being a nation that consistently produced at least one world class player every generation have not...