Muscle work to improve smash...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Flick, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Flick

Flick Regular Member

Ever since I started doing squats on a fixed gym machine (3 sets of 115kg at 30 reps) my ability to move around the court has improved soooo much.

What muscles should I work on to improve my smash?

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Rotator cuff http://familydoctor.org/handouts/265.html. There's machines that will do this as well.

Press ups, tricep dips will also help. Also machine based work around those muscles.

Jump smashing will teach you proper technique if you can learn it.

When you're ready, increase your tension and you'll push it even further.

3. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Forgot - forearm and wrist as well.

4. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

once you get the correct technique..if you haevn't got it already..then work on the abdominals by doing situps/crunchies...

i mention this because the most productive smashing involves a series of using many muscle groups..transfer from the legs/thighs, hips (side abs) and then arms (wrist, forarms, etc).

Think about a situation when you are in a long singles game..you'll eventually get tired and if you need to smash at a tiring moment, you just might forget about the arms and hips.. and just use arm technique...but building up the rest of the body, it'll raise your strength and allow you to use those parts later on in the game

The abs aren't a very big part and it'd be best to concentrate more on the exercises mentioned above by Ukplayer..

5. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

The abs, is a very important part of the body in ANY stroke. Without doing the proper abdominal turns, during a stroke, you will be slicing the shuttle most of the time (unless ofcourse you're used to not using your abs for a body rotation which gives you quite a lot of extra power).

Another reason why abs is very important, is that it helps you recover into position for the next shot and this affects your rallies a lot. Which is why my coach is killing me with lots of abdominal work :(

While we're at it, one of the best excercise to develop your side abs, is to lie down on the ground facing the ceiling and your legs pointed towards the ceiling. Then have someone have their feet besides your ears and you hold on to those feet :D yeah, sometimes it could stink. That person then "throws" your legs to the sides, left or right, or forward. What you have to do, is stop the momentum before touching the ground and pull your leg back up to point towards the ceiling. Honestly, I only lasted ten pushes :eek: That's how undeveloped my abs are.

6. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yeah, guess it's time to do some abs workout..i remember my previous coach also killed us with our workout..it was made of about a round of 20-30 pushups, 30-60 situps, and 25-45 burpees (which was a killer)...you'll get used to it if you do these and i'm sure you'll find the results in ur whole stroke if done properly a whole level higher in control and power

7. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Go Swimming.

Freestyle is good for smashes/clears. Breaststroke is good for backhand.

Works all major muscle groups & is resistance based rather than weight loading.
    Improves your stamina & there is less chance of injury (providing you don't drown).

8. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    i would have to agree with Iwan..abs is very important part of badminton.

9. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    lol i find that amusing.

yes swimming does help alot. for me, i teach tennis as well so thats my workout right there to improve my arm, abs, and speed. oh and run! always run, it improves abs, speed, and stamina!

10. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

hmm

Abdomen PLAYS A VITAL ROLE IN EVERY SPORTS......

in Badminton,

after long rallies... you'll feel very tired and sore at the abdomen area. thus you'll get very lazy to move.

and this will slow your tempo down and gives your opponent to recover... this also will slow you down until you can't get to the shuttle in time to give a powerful smashes....

and the stronger your abdomens are... the longer rallies you can play