Proper Stoke

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KyMurr, Apr 22, 2012.

1. KyMurr

KyMurr Regular Member

So, for the last 4 years I've apparently been swinging my racquet somewhat incorrectly. I play at a club with an Olympic Level coach, and we spent 2 hours working on my stroke. Basically, what I need to do is loosen my wrist, and let the racquet drop behind my head, then swing across myself. Do you guys have any tips for getting this technique engraved into my mind so I don't have to focus on it while I'm playing, I want it to come naturally.

2. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

Practice...? ;)

3. KyMurr

KyMurr Regular Member

I knew at least 1 person was going to say that XD

4. visor

visor Regular Member

It's like throwing a stone or baseball overhead. Wind up and release.

5. KyMurr

KyMurr Regular Member

Alright, I think I can probably throw a tennis ball agains my wall outside. Thanks for the help guys.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Make sure to lead with the elbow in both the wind up and also the forward motion. Then pronate forearm and finally release the ball from your fingers.

7. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    everything is never easy learning especially badminton. At first i thought badminton was about brute strength and i was wrong in fact it was the opposite , the more relaxed you are with you arm the more power you'll generate , to start have proper racket gripping that is the no1 rule. Your stroke will improve once you have proper racket gripping. Concentrate on fingers! the softer the fingers the the better your stroke will be. This is the secret in badminton.

8. phili

phili Regular Member

If you got such a good coach I bet he can tell you how to do it ;)

9. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
  10. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Apparently Lee jae Bok is not using arm rotation (aka pronation/ supination) much. Is this the best way? Could experts in this forum please comment?

In fact I was using Lee jae Bok style of overhaead shots before and I used to get tired quite fast? After adapting body rotation with scissor kick and arm rotation I found my shots have more power and it is less tiring.

11. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    To be honest arm rotation will only help if the shuttle is in front of you, try doing it when it is at the back of your shoulders and it will end up half court. Body rotation only helps if you have correct hitting technique. I could very much do a power shot without body rotation . The reason you are getting tired is that you may be using your whole arm to swing. Relax the fingers , relax the arm , relax the wrist and make a throw motion as your going to release something with your fingers. That's how you get proper power with minimal effort. You must get the feeling that all your muscles are not being used when you're at ready position and that's how you get all your muscles in to use.

#11 Zackster, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  12. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    If you listen to what he says instead of solely watching the video, it makes sense. While his technique may not be the greatest, I find it hard you can not see the arm rotation. His credentials further lay support to his reliability.

If you tire relatively fast then it may be improper technique or fitness.

I believe most international professionals use this technique, it is a general widespread technique for overhead shots.

13. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    visor's posting says:
    Isn't this opposite of what is shown in LJB's video?

14. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

if it's for an overhand stroke, throwing a football will be very close to the motion
    a proper football throw will teach you all the right points about body rotation and follow through

if it's an underhand forehand serve, practice your golf swings at the driving range
    a proper drive in golf will teach you all about hip rotation and transition into upper body rotation

15. KyMurr

KyMurr Regular Member

That's the problem, football I can do, but I swing opposite side for golf than I do for badminton.

16. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    okay I played LJB video in slow motion..I can see he is leading the stroke with the elbow. so no confusion now. thanks

17. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

The most important thing to take from these motions is the biomechanics. Focus especially on the transitions between the rotation of each part of the body (angular momentum if you will).
    Swinging from the hip (rotate), then transition that into the abdomen. Using the core muscle to lead the upper body (imagine a line around the waist, the upper part of that). Then as your upper body begins to swing, this should initiate the arms to draw the arc. Then at/near the moment of impact (slight?) pronation of the forearm (because it is supposed to be in supination/"cocked" in the ready position). Follow through.

Words are limited, don't crucify me if I used the wrong term.

I believe this is a very close semblance to a drive in golf.

The reason why I broke this down (aside from pointing out the different transitional points) is that most people don't understand how important it is to have the hip rotation.
    I believe the arm and upper body rotation (especially the pronation) gives the bird the lift and the hip and abdomen rotation is what gives the bird the depth of the shot (getting it to the back court). If done properly, strength is not an issue (as evident with girls singles players that have low muscle mass and can serve better than some muscular guys).

18. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Its going to be hard to implement this when playing an actual game because you have played for 4 years doing this, you may have picked up too many improper techniques, so it will be hard and take a while to change.

19. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

That's why we practice....
    -_-

20. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

Thanks for bringing this up. I am currently having the same problem atm. In my mind, while i'm playing, i always feel that i'm only using wrist and forearms for my shots. However, just recently, most of my friends commented that i'm using too much arm swing on my shots, making it obvious which shots i was going to make, everytime.

Anyone here has a way to make sure that each shots executed is used only by wrist power alone?