Sharing experience Acl Rupture on left knee playing badminton

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by 09germiti, Apr 22, 2012.

1. 09germiti

09germiti Regular Member

selling used motorcycle
    Hai.. everyone.

I just want to share my exp about my latest injury, which is ACL RUPTURE on my left knee. It happend on 3/december/2011 while i was playing badminton. Well.. before this one i have had sprain ankle on both leg a couple times, but this one is the worst injury i have ever had..:crying:

I was at the right back side of the court , and the birdie (Shutlle cock) on the left back side.. so i was trying to turn my body to do a backhand stroke, that's when my left knee buckled and I heard 'CRACK' on my knee. It was hurt on level 7 or 8 in 10 scale. I sit on the court for 3 minutes, and then i get up and walking to the bench and start ice on my left knee..

next day my left knee felt sore and stiff.. swelling a bit, and start to give away when i walking laterally, climbing stairs, and climb down stairs. When I see my orhto doctor he gave me a really bad news..ACL rupture.

He said i have to had a surgery if want to play badminton again..also stop the risk of early Ostheoarthritis .

on 1/feb/2012 i do the surgery with hamstring graft. The doc said i have also injured my meniscus.

So now I'm on 12 weeks rehab.. still alot more hard work of exercise to do..I have some question to everyone who have had this injury before and take an ACL Reconstruction with hamstring graft.

1. do you still have pain on behind of the knee ( hamstring harvest site ) on 3 months rehab ???? will the pain go away???

2. does alot of exercise will make the pain vanish?? I started hamstring exercise on 8 weeks.

3. will I be able to go back playing badminton normally??

Thanks A lot guys ... be very carefull with your knee... My doc said this kind of injury ends alot of athlete carrer.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Sorry to hear. Similar situation with my right ACL about 10 yrs ago. The pain and stiffness will gradually improve, but can't play competively anymore, only socially and occasional serious games. Must wear tensor knee brace now to protect and support the knee when playing. Take it easy when you get back into it, and always remember proper footwork.

3. 09germiti

09germiti Regular Member

selling used motorcycle
    thanks VISOR for the quick reply..
    I just want to ask :
    1. do you use hamstring graft for your surgery?? if yes, how long the pain behind your knee go away?
    2. how long you do your rehab time before back playing badminton again?
    3. do you still play badminton now??
    4. do I have to wear a HINGED KNEE BRACE or just a slevee propelene brace??

Thanks again VISOR...

4. visor

visor Regular Member

It's been 10 yrs so I'm not exactly sure. But...

1. Yes, 3-4 months.
    2. I was discouraged because badminton had caused the injury, so 4 yrs for me!
    3. Yes, twice a week for the past 4 yrs.
    4. I started with a hinged brace but it was too bulky, so have since switched to a neoprene compression sleeve tensor with side steel stabilisers.

5. 09germiti

09germiti Regular Member

selling used motorcycle
    thanks Visor .. it's really give me the courage to do the rehab.. because for the past 2 weeks I have been wandering about the pain behind my knee.. is it gonna stay forever or just a temporary until the hammy heal..

well, your exp on this kind of injury makes me realize that I have to wait and not to rush to play again..

I hope neither of us or anyone who play badminton will never have this injury again .. Thanks.

6. georgsi_uk1

georgsi_uk1 Regular Member

My first post on the forum even though I have been a very frequent reader of the posts here..

The way you have described the events that led to your ACL rupture is pretty close to what happened to me In May 2011 when I had my ACL on left leg torn..

I had my reconstruction on October 18th 2011 after under quite a few pre-op PT sesssions, using a hamstring graft. I too had a meniscus damage which was repaired during the surgery and so was told expect a slow rehab..

Its 6 months since my surgey and have been going for PT seesions, 1 per week, till March end. I havent started playing badminton yet even though I was told that I can start training slowly after 5 months. It was my decision to wait for a little longer to make the legs a bit more stronger before I start playing.

Onto your questions :-

1. I think it varies from one to another on the pain. But from my own experience and what I have gathered from others who have gone through this, you will get the pain at some point of your rehab. The reason being you having a weaker hamstring after the op.. The pain will eventually go away (for me it did) but it is very crucial that you strengthen your hamstrings after op.

2. It is also crucial that you dont over do it as you could tear your hamstring, if you over do

3. I think so.. There are quite a few athlets who have continued playing (mostly soccer, rugby etc) even after doing multiple ACL reconstructions. Personally, I feel that anyone who has the will and desire, and work towards that can be back in the gam in the matter of a few months..

7. 09germiti

09germiti Regular Member

selling used motorcycle
    thanks for reply georgsi_uk1 ..

yesterday i went to my ortho doc, he prescribe a MEXPHARM meloxicam (NSAID) medicine for inflamatory.. for the past 2 days i have avoid hamstring exercise to see if my hamstring getting better or not.

today i feel 50% less pain in my hamstring.. I think to my self maybe i over do it.. but i don't feel any "SNAPPING" sensation in my hamstring when i do my rehab, also read a few exp on other people who tear their hamstring when doing a rehab and they feel "SNAPPING" on their hammy.

Well I think as you say .. everyone is different..

I Hope you and I can really recover well from this injury and get back to court again..

Also don't forget VISOR advise.. begin training a proper footwork.. thanks guys..