Suggest a durable string for club players

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by HappySachs, Apr 25, 2012.

1. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

I started stringing at the end of last year, after stringing a few of my own rackets with different strings I decided I liked BG80 the best and thus bought a reel of it. Once I felt capable enough I started stringing rackets for a few other people at my club, again using BG80.

Unfortunately what's slowly been revealed to me is that BG80 has a relatively brittle outer coating that if damaged will separate and then the string has a tendancy to break fairly soon after :(. Now for my own personal use this doesn't bother me as I don't have to pay the labour cost of stringing, however I don't really think this is fair on my 'customers' who do (they most likely care more about durability than performance).

So I'm looking for a more durable string so I'd like some suggestions, preferrably Yonex or Ashaway :).

The Yonex yellow packaged 'Durability' strings seem like an obvious choice. BG65TI is the first that comes to mind, but I've no recent experience with it and from what I read it's very poor at holding tension. Zymax 70 is thick so may be be a suitable choice but I'd like to hear more about its durability and tension holding properties.

Thanks

2. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Nanogy 95, the most durable string ive ever used

3. APB Stringers

APB Stringers Regular Member

Professional Stringer
    Bg65ti is good, I used it throughout some of last season, but I also know ex england and polish international players who use Bg65ti now. Its extremely durable and I think feels rather nice. :)

www.apbstringers.co.uk

4. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    Why not offer a small selection of strings for the players to choose from?

For example, why not offer BG80 as the performance option and then maybe bg65ti or nbg95 as the durability option?

On topic though, nbg95 seems to be the most durable string I've ever used.

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    it might save you a lot of headaches if the people from your club brings their own strings. because then they won't be stuck with a string that might not like. and if you're trying to accomodate, then everyone will start requesting different strings. but if that's a way to expand your business, then providing a large selection of string is a good way to go.

i've had very good experience with nanogy 95 as far as durability is concerned, horrible feel tho. yonex basically anything in yellow package is considered durable strings to me. :)

victor vs880 is also a good durable string, again not a whole lot of feedback from it.

ashaway microlegend XL is another string that lasts and lasts...this is a powerful string IMHO.

6. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

I was browsing the forum yesterday when I came across this thread, I got half way through the OP's post before I realised it was written by me...Doh! ABP must have done some digging to find and bump this thread from 4 months ago!

A couple of months back I went to my local sports shop and bought a reel of BG65ti, I got them to price match too so got it for £60. I'd had a few people ask for this string and being both the cheapest Yonex string and very durable it struck me as a good 'default choice' for my more casual customers.

Thank you to everyone who replied:

@Jason: I considered Nanogy 95 but in the end went with the cheapest option :p

@APB Stringers: thanks for the thread bump and the suggestion :)

@Canadian Badmint: yes, this is the conclusion I came to too and had done exactly as you suggested.

@gundamzaku: That's really good advise, thanks. About the time I started this thread I established a labour cost for my restrings after someone asked for a restring but provided the string themselves. As you suggested I now give customers the option of either providing their own string or buying one of my stock strings.

I'll take a look at Ashaway string you suggested, thanks again.

7. nooooooooooo

nooooooooooo Regular Member

Just use BG65