string tension comparison

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ts00040110, Apr 25, 2012.

1. ts00040110

ts00040110 Regular Member

hello all..i have a question.. i recently came back to play badminton after a break of a year.. i am starting to love badminton again.. my racquet is at 21 tension..i hv playing in the tension of 21 for years, and i wish to change.. i am used to 21 tension already.. i feel like wanna increase my tension.. so, is the difference between 21 and 23 tension large? if it is large, i my as well just increase it to 22 tension.. if there is only a slight difference, i think i will go into 23.. any advice is much appreciated

2. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

1. Why?
    2. Do you play plastic or feather shuttlecocks?

When playing plastic, I wouldn't go higher, because it might result in arm and/or shoulder injuries.

And regarding, if you should switch directly to 23 lbs or not ... I bet every good trainer will recommend to raise only by 1 lbs at a time.

BTW ... it might also be interesting, if you tell us, which racket you use ... and to describe your playing style.

3. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

id increase in pound increments if i were you

4. ts00040110

ts00040110 Regular Member

thx for reply

i am playing with feather shuttlecock...mostly rsl.. i am using li ning ss78...i am a person that i love to smash.. all i want to know is should i switch my tension to 22 or 23.. is the difference of 21-23 alot? if it is alot, then i will just change it to 22.. any ideas is much appreciated... by the way, i seldom do dropshots.. only a few times in every match..

5. visor

visor Regular Member

feathers in mas... sure go ahead with 23 even 24 lbs...

6. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

My usual tension of 25 is perfectly fine with plastic, and I've strung up to ~28 with no major issues. I do agree that the max tension used with plastics should be lower than with feather, but 21 or even 23 is definitely not pushing it.

7. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

For some people like me, it is a lot, for others it is not.

So I don't think it will ruin your budget, if you raise tension in two steps and be careful and first try 1 lbs higher. That's what most coaches would recommend.