leg excercise

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by badmad, Aug 13, 2003.

1. badmad

badmad Regular Member

hi guys,
    I was a bit hesitant while posting it since I read a thread to avoid posting same articles again n' again. But I wanted to know more detailed info about leg excercises. Sorry.... :( .. In one of the threads, I read from a member mentioning leg excercises with 115 kgs or so. But I generally do sqauts with 30-35 kgs. Is it too less for me? I'm 22/M, 64kgs and 5.8 feet. Please suggest some more rigorous excercise.

Thanks in advance,

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    good name....

Are you squatting with 115kg free weight (barbells) or a leg press machine set with 115kg? In general when performing leg presses you should be able to lift at least your double weight. so if you are a 64kg person, you should be able to at least lift 130 kg or so.

As a reference - I am 45/M, 175 lbs, 5'7", and I normally squat 4 sets/10reps at 400 lbs.

When squatting you must be careful of a number of safety concerns to reduce injury.

1. When fully pressed, try to keep your knees still slightly bent. Never allow your knees to lock in the full position. Once your legs are fully straight, your muscles aren't actually working to keep the weight up, but rather your body frame with means joints and bone. I've seen many kids do that, and holding the weight stack in that position, and chatting with friends.

2. Set the seat position so that your knees are roughly 90 degrees. Try not to start any lower as you will be stressing your knees and ligaments. The exercise is to develop your leg muscles, not popping your knee cap...

3. Do not force your lower back to lift the weight. This can cause damage to the lower back and spine. Some lifters attempt to lift higher weights by curling their lower backs slightly. This puts a lot of stress on the lower back.

3. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Squat 400 lbs! Impressive! That's four 45-lb. plates on each side plus the bar weight.

4. Flick

Flick Regular Member

I think that was me.

I just decided to do some leg work at the gym. I used a fixed squat machine, where I sit in an upright position and the legs puch outwards.

I chose 115kg as that was what I was comfortable with. I weight about 100kgs, 6' heavy build. (F*T) :D

Again, I do 3 set of 30 reps @ 115kg's as that's comfortable enough for me to struggle with, but not feel that I'm killing myself doing.

My goal at the gym was to get to a comfortable weight, then increase the reps that I did, rather than increase weight. My theory being that I wanted toned legs as opposed to thunder thighs :D

I didn't do it for badminton at first, but as soon as I noticed that I could cover the court better, I really try harder now.

I didn't used to be able to jump smash at the back of the court and come to the net to return a drop. I can now.

5. badmad

badmad Regular Member

flick it your way. :) .. i remember seeing your thread... yet i lift too less these days but desperately trying to improve. hope i'll get soon.

6. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

squats

30-35kg won't be enough to gain strength... for cf I'm 24, M, 5'10" and weigh just over 9st. My best (so far) is 7 reps of 75kg (including bar), free weights. I don't like machines, they don't build/use the supporting muscles like free weights do.

7. jjjjj

jjjjj Regular Member

Re: good name....

Are you squatting or doing leg press...seat position?

8. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Re: Re: good name....

I use the leg press station since I don't need a spotter.
    Similar cautions apply when doing squats with free weights as well, not to lock knees, squat too low, and use back support gear if necessary.
    Free weights are much better as samohtom says, since you do work the entire body. When using free weights you need more discipline and form to ensure you are isolating the specific muscle groups.

I do power squats with free weights using 4x45, 2x10 and the bar, but I've cut the back of my neck a few times when the bar digs into my necklace. Also mrs. badrad is too scared to spot me when I am doing the higher weights so she feels it's safer for me to use the stations. When I use the press station at other gyms I have set up to 8x45 + 2x 25 + the bar. Unfortunately the racquets club leg press max's out at 400.

#8 badrad, Aug 17, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2003