Foot Stamping (Stomping?)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wilfredlgf, Aug 13, 2003.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I notice that some people stamp (stomp?) their right foot (righthanders) on the floor when they execute a jab, drive, tap etc. Sometimes this happens also during low smashes. I used to do this but I was told that it's pretty bad for the legs and it was pretty hard to 'unlearn'.

Also, most people I've seen who does this are from East Malaysia while most West Malaysians don't.

I wonder what good or bad is doing this your game and health, and is this practiced elsewhere as well?

2. Jus_anothr_grl

Jus_anothr_grl Regular Member

student
    Well, I've been taught to do that. But it's more like a leap forward with my right heel on the floor first

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Akhem, it's more to the really audible type, not the normal step thingy. Thanks anyway. ;)

4. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    I used to do that you know the foot stomping thing kinda like there a big cockroach that i'm dying to stomp over. But my badminton teacher told me to quit that bad habbit, instead he told me to hop forward in grace without making a noise.

5. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

You know, some chinese 'kungfu' teaches you to do this to gain more power :rolleyes:

6. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    I was told that it could help to coordinate motions of your legs and arms, just like drums in music making the rythm for other instruments and coordinate their timing... But also I was told that you can use it only if you have problems with a shot, cause it's a waste of energy and time. Don't think if it can damage your health (of course if you are not stomping very hard which is to my mind absolutely senseless).

7. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

I remember doing that, thought it sounded really cool when you do that whilst playing, lol.... :p

One thing that I don't do often anymore which always worked against most people I have played is to stamp whilst placing a gentle drop shot. You will be suprise how you can fool players when doing that.

8. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    Personally, that would probably cause me to make a net shot that wasn't as good more than it would fool my opponents. I'd rather not lose my concentration on that touch.
    gregory

9. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

I know a friend that does that..and i suppose he does that just to emphasize his smash, drive, or whatever shot. Personally, i find that it doesn't make the shot sound anymore powerful because I hear it enough to know that the sound is coming from his feet. Perhaps one does that just to add some deception in the power in a shot..but like i mentioned, it's pretty easy to determine whether it's a real smash sound or just a stomp.

In addition to the results of this to your body, I believe that it will mess up the knee..i'm not 100% certain, but it makes sense to me that the shock will transfer you to the knee and will cause injury or slight pain in the future.

10. frictionman

Lawyer
    Would it be better to put all of those stomping energy to your smash or play instead of burying it into the ground and avoid damaging your shoes and POSSIBLE injury to your feet, toes or knee?

11. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I don't know about Chinese kungfu, but I believe there is something to this.

Some 20+ years ago, we had a national player in the US (I think it was Charlie Coakley) who stomped his right foot (he was right-handed) whenever he hit a smash or a power backhand, and he had the hardest smash of any US player.

I have a theory about this:

I've found early in my learning the game that when I would thrust my right leg (I'm RH) down at the same moment I extended my arm and hit a hard shot, it did increase power. There's something about stretching the right side of the body--arm and leg thrust in opposite directions at the same moment--that supplies power. I don't stomp my foot down, but I can see how someone might take that leg thrust and exaggerate it into a stomp, or deliberately stomp to remind himself to thrust the leg.

12. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I'm not sure if it damages your knees in the long run, but 'stomping' does give me more power for drives, low smashes and some disguise for drops.

True that it is not as graceful, but I believe that by planting your right foot down (if you are right handed), and pivoting around this, it aids in body rotation and shifts your body weight into the shot.

A lot of players do this during drives, as they have a reduced swing, 'stomping' gives them more power, The harder the stomp is, the faster you are shifting your weight and therefore more power.

Maybe different surfaces and environments you play in, amplify the sound also.

13. yonexfanatic

I guess we all have our theories. All in all, IMHO, I still think nothing (no or very minimal power) is achieved. Like already mentioned, it's just not graceful.

I've been thinking..

I've seen a person stomp their feet when smashing..cept they have all the time in the world to prepare for a smash. If they have so much time, he could execute a jump smash, which I for one think that it'd provide more power (if done correctly) than doing a stomp. However we'll excuse the jump smash considering the fact that he may not be at that level. But even so, couldn't he just use full technique.. combining legs, hips, and arms + full extension? I believe doing that will give him more power than any kind of stomp done.

For a drive, I find that (and this has been discussed before for overhead strokes as well) one can develop the power in a drive by using a "smaller" version of the finger technique where it's not a full swing but instead just a forceful push with the fingers or thumb(if backhand) pushing the handle into the palm.

I can't honestly say that the stomp is totally useless as i know that there may be a case where there is power generated..but honestly, proper technique or i should say the technique we see most of the international players use..will give the maximul and efficient power when doing certain shots.

14. reenignelivic

reenignelivic Regular Member

Student
    There is a girl at the place i play stomp her right foot when she does overhead drills. It looks like to me she does the stomping and the drills in a rhythm. I have asked her about her stomping behavior but is it possible that helps players timing when to start the drill?

15. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    ... I think it is a byproduct of training/coaching.

In coaching beginners/intermediates in stroke techniques, a lot of times, a coach will show (a) the stroke as performed by the racquet & arm; (b) the required footwork.

For example, in doing O/H clear, shot preparation (racquet foot back, elbow up, wrist cocked, racquet up, etc) and then the execution (throwing the racquet at the shuttle, racquet face position, arm stretched at point of impact, racquet foot in transit to front of body). A lot of times, the ending foot placement is emphasied as racquet foot forward (here's where the coach would stomp his/her feet).

Even now, I sometimes ended up stomping my racquet foot on certain shots in certain situations (mostly net shots when getting to the shot really, really early).

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    seems a bit wierd to me to think of a stomping foot for a smash unless the player is more at an elementary stage of learning the stroke.

For lunging, that's a different matter. It's a good disguise to stomp and then play a soft shot. From what I've seen, at higher levels of play, the stomp seems less used.

17. frictionman

Lawyer
    Just notice what most of the top Pro's are doing, do they stomp? or just lunge?

18. yonexfanatic

19. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I've stomped before, it's really bad for the ankle. Can feel the shock going through it. Ouch!

Actually now my footwork is kind of silent... I don't know why. I see some of my friends footwork have stomping.

20. jeffrey

jeffrey Regular Member

Stomping is bad for the joints of the legs, period!
    It does not do any more for the game!