Unscientific experiment of string tension, 25lbs vs. 30 lbs.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Jonster, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    While this comparison is not scientific as I did not keep all variables constant, even the strings I was interested in what I found.

This review/experience needs some back-story. I was playing for my university at the Canadian University Championships and whenever Sergiy Shatenko played, a national player who was also on the Canadian Uber cup team, his shots sounded so crisp and loud. I wondered what it could be. I figured the only variable in his situation to acquire such a sound was the string tension. That's where my story unfolds.

So my go-to tension on racquets was for a racquet to set at 25 lbs. It is a tension that I have been playing with for a couple years. I like the balance between control and power. For me, it is/was a tension that made me comfortable.

To try to test my hypothesis, that string tension to a high point will noticeably change hitting sound, I strung two racqutes. I strung a Z-Force with BG 66 Ultimax to set at 25 lbs, and a Black Knight Max Force with BG 80 to set at 30 lbs. The reason for this high jump in tension was because I wanted to hear a noticeable difference of strings. I figured that even though they are different strings, I can recall from memory the sound of BG 80 at 25 lbs. Again, not very scientific!

I tried the Z-Force at 25 lbs and it gave me good control and power. The hitting sound of BG 66 Ultimax is very nice. As expected from the string.

When I tried the Max Force 930 with BG 80 at 30 lbs the hitting sound of my overhead shots was crisp. To classify the difference between BG 80 at 30 lbs and the BG 66 Ultimax at 25 lbs, the BG 80 sounded crisp like chopping an apple while the BG 66 Ultimax might be like putting a hammer to a nail. I can see how the string can create hitting sound, but the change in tension from 25 lbs to 30 lbs was surprising.

In terms of playing, I felt very comfortable with the BG 66 UM at 25 lbs on the Z-Force, it gave good power and the control from the strings are superb. I have become accustomed to the string tension so net-shots are easy to execute.

With the BG 80 at 30 lbs, I felt the feather shuttle bounce off the stringbed with more repulsion. I think once I get used to the bounce of the shuttle it will definitely be something I can work with. I assume I lost power with this tension but I was playing with different racquets so there can be no comparison.

In terms of catching tennis elbow, I will have to see. There is definitely the question of only having played with these racquets for one session, perhaps replication can create more stable results? I only played with the racquets for a 3-hour session, with long breaks every 2 games. My team was working on strength and conditioning for the appropriate microcycle of sports periodization so my arms may be fine but I will have to see with time.

I definitely plan to make the variables constant and test this out again.

TL;DR Tried playing with BG 66 Um @ 25lbs on Z-Force vs. BG 80 @ 30 lbs on Black Knight Max Force 930, repulsive feel from the BG 80 was crisp and responsive, both strings are great in their own regards.

2. redskins009

redskins009 Regular Member

Biochemist
    Well i did a similar experiment to you but i didnt have as many constant as you which is the different rackets. I tried various tensions on the Arc10 that i have at 26, 28 and 30lbs and i found that BG66U hitting sound and repulsion is really nice at all tension and the higher the tension the more "ping noise" it makes. However, higher tension gives me really bad tennis elbow problem hence i dont deviate from my normal 26lbs tension at all. Repulsion I would say at 26lbs i still smash harder but i can achieve pretty good power once i hit the sweetspot, however it tends to be harder to find the sweetspot on 30lbs than 26lbs. Also...with BG66U the racketstring tend to be really "dull" after about 2-3weeks...regardless of any tension...

Tried the same experiment on Zymax 62 and Z65 as well, and 66U have a slight advantage at smashing power at all tension however...it seriously takes a misshit or scissor to break the z62 or z65 strings. A month after stringing, the z62 and z65. Oh yeah i forgot to mention that Z62 i only strung it up to 28lbs just to test out the company recommended string tension UL.

Anyways, i am looking forward to be trying this on the z70 soon....

Oh yeah im also a big fan of NBG98, and been playing on it for the last 3years or so...I havnt deviated from the normal 26lbs i been playing on. I want to try this experiment on it but i am having a hard time breaking the ashaway zymax strings =(....to me the zymax string (2nd generation) is really indestructable. No fraying, no cuts...nothing after a month of heavy usage(3-4hrs a day 4-5x a week)....for my standard.