Shoe Size: Perfect Fit or Slightly Longer?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by nutbad5981, Apr 28, 2012.

1. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    Hi there. Just want to ask you guys how you choose the size of your badminton shoes? Is it better to wear shoes that perfectly fit your feet or slightly longer by half or one inch? I had a pair of badminton shoes which is perfectly fit to me but it causes pain to my toes. Now am wondering if there is/are disadvantages of wearing longer shoes. Please focus on length rather than width of the shoes. Thanks a lot.

2. phili

phili Regular Member

There should be some space but not too much otherwise you may slip inside your shoe. I would say half an inch max.

3. nutbad5981

elementary grade tutor
    Thanks Phili... So 1 inch is too much...

I found this while I am searching for shoe size conversion into inches...

[h=2]Inches to Men's U.S. Shoe Size[/h] [TABLE="align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]U.S. Men's Shoe Size[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]Inches[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]6[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]9.31[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]6.5[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]9.5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]7[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]9.69[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]7.5[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]9.81[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]8[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]10
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]8.5[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]10.19[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]9[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]10.31[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]9.5[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]10.5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]10[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]10.69[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]10.5[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]10.81[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]11[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]11[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]11.5[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]11.19[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]12[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]11.31[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]12.5[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]11.5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]13[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]11.69[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]13.5[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]11.81[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]14[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]12[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]14.5[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]12.19[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]15[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]12.31[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

from: http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/a/men_inches.htm

I found out that the size of my shoes should be US8 or US 7.5... But some of my shoes measure US8.5 and measures like US8...

4. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I advise you to physically try the shoes out. Take out the insole of the side of your bigger foot and place your foot firmly near the back of the insole similar to when you are putting on the shoes. A good fit is if you have your thumb's width (meaning that when you place your thumb on the insole you can see your thumbnail) in between the very top of your longest toe to the top of the insole.

5. Kazoo

Kazoo Regular Member

My longest foot measures 10.25 inches or 26 cm, I usually go for size US 10-10.5 (depending on the shoe). I can't imagine using size 11 according to that thumb rule (my thumb is 0.75 inches wide). I usually would pick shoes by putting my thumb perpendicular to the ground on the insole (using the thickness of the thumb).

Everyone has different personal preferences when it comes to wearing shoes. I absolutely hate it when my feet move around because it tends to give me blisters more often. I'd say about 1 cm of extra room would be an ideal fit in my opinion.

6. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I did not know that your thumb could be that wide. My thumb is just less than 1.5cm wide, which means that for my 26.5cm long feet and using the thumb width spacing method my shoe size will end up at size US 9.5/UK 9

7. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

so if i measure my feet on a ruler to be 28cm, i should get a 29.5 cm shoes?

8. nutbad5981

elementary grade tutor
    Thanks for the responses. BTW... as Phili said... half an inch is good enough... and Blitzzards said that he uses his thumb which measures 0.59 or 0.6 of an inch (1.5cm)... so it is reasonable... Blitzzards knows the measure of the width of his thumb, and maybe, he is not saying that using the width of one's thumb as additional length in choosing the size of shoes is a must. And as Moomoo said, 1 cm is enough... in inches that is about 0.39 or 0.4 inch which is close to half inch or the width of Blizzards' thumb. Half centimeter is not that noticeable. So what I've got is half an inch longer (maybe a more or less points or millimeter) is the best. I have read ( I can't remember where or what site) that in choosing a badminton shoes regarding size, the shoes should be 1 inch longer that the size of one's foot. Thanks for your inputs guys.

9. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Slightly longer but not slightly wider. Over time the upper mesh will get loosen due to the footwork. How much the upper mesh get loosen depends on the material. When the shoes are getting too wide after loosening of the upper mesh, it will affect your stability and getting easier to twist your ankle.

10. betazone

betazone Regular Member

i buy perfect fit, and I tie my laces very tight. Just like it that way for faster footwork - my personal opinion

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Thought I'd post it in a more appropriate thread ;)

Take it for what it's worth, I just happened to come across this post: http://www.supersquash.net/docs/10/buying-squash-shoes.htm

"Size
    Many retailers advise buying shoes larger than your normal shoe size. Don't - squash shoes spread as you play and will end up feeling loose and slipping, if you do this. Squash shoes should be snug, but not pinch and you should have about half a thumbnail between the end of your big toe and the end of the interior of the shoe. Larger than this and your feet may slip forward, causing blisters; less and your toes can end up slamming into the front of the shoe. Court socks will take up some of the space, but they should feel slightly tight to start with. Once they have spread after a few games, they should be just right. Care should be taken to avoid lacing shoes too tightly as your feet will swell as you play and this can cause foot problems. One way to avoid this is to arch your foot as you lace your shoes, so that you retain some space for swelling.
    The other important thing to bear in mind when choosing squash shoes is that they can vary in size by upto one full size either way. This can be the case with different manufacturers, but also with different models of shoe by the same manufacturer. Always check the product description to find out if a shoe runs small, large or "true"."

In the end it's what you are comfortable and problem free with, there is no be all end all rule/advice ... I guess this is closest to how I pick my shoes, well when the physical opportunity is there anyway :D. A little squeeze at the front of my toes to check for a little room and no bone crunching narrow fit and I'm usually alright. Not to fond of much space in front so no needless sizing up for me ...