What is the ideal tension and string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by gameboy, Aug 14, 2003.

1. gameboy

gameboy New Member

Dear pals
    I had broke the strings on my Iso tour 800 sp racket. May I know what is the ideal tension and strings for the racket pls? Thanks!:)

2. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    There is no ideal tension for a racquet. The ideal tension is for the player
    i.e. you. So only you can decide which tension you feel most comfortable with.
    And your ideal tension will change as you improve.

3. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Yea..most of us know that the tension recommended by yonex is not ideal for all of us. We may string it at what they recommend (because we're worried the racket will break or you just like it at that tension) or we may go a few lbs higher than what they recommend because we feel it provides us with more power. Looking at a lot of the pros for example, there are many who string their rackets at 28-30 + lbs..while there's us (me) that like to string at around 23-24 lbs. It's mostly preference and where you stand for skill level to determine an ideal string tension for yourself.

In your case gameboy, i'm not sure what skill level you're at, but it's up to you to decide..string breakage is a regular thing in badminton...if you wish your strings will last you for a long time, it may not be the case of string tension ..but instead what kind of string you are using.

4. mjwhitfield

mjwhitfield Regular Member

Postgrad University Student
    I'll toss my hat into the ring and suggest that I like 22lb on mine

5. swijaya0101

swijaya0101 Regular Member

i started with 16lbs 17 years ago ...

last year i strung my rackets at 23 main 24 cross

starting this year, i strung my rackets at 26 main 27 cross or 27 main 28 cross

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    swijaya is growing up!:D

7. mjwhitfield

mjwhitfield Regular Member

Postgrad University Student
    What make and model racket is it?

8. freeheeler

freeheeler Regular Member

store manager
    Out of curiousity

why string vertical and horizontal differently.

Also, I have been playing with my rackets strung at 22lbs with Ashway, would I notice a big difference if I went up to 24lbs. I don't want to tire my arms out even more (i'm 42) if this is what happens at higher tensions

9. sheepie

sheepie Regular Member

string tension

I like my strings at 22-24 lbs...but some ppo try to discourage me... They say 19-22 is good...that you lose power with higher tensions. Is that true?

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Out of curiousity

1. If using 2-pt support string machine, the easier method is 2-piece (4 knots) methods. Most of the case, horizontal needs to be 1-2 lbs higher than the main (vertical) to maintain the head shape. The main reason I think is, once u wave the cross string, the main string tension is actually increasing.

2. The higher the tension, the more stiff the string bed will be. Therefore, there is more shock to ur muscle when u hit. It will be easier to tired out ur arm. Same theory applied for flex vs stiff shaft. The more stiff the shaft is, the more strength required to generate power.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: string tension

Everyone has his/her favorite tension "range".

A lot of beginners having trouble to handle 21lb, but pros think 28 is too low, and willing to go up to 30+ lb. Who's right? Both, as long as they feel good about it.

Therefore, if u really like ur racket/string performance, and such combo won't tired out ur arm easily, stay with it. Whatever ur friend likes, might not be ur own best choice.

12. iluvthesun

iluvthesun Regular Member

Please quit saying that it all depends on personal preference!! There has to be a tension that most people use.

I think that the ideal string tension for most people is one that gives the most repulsion: for people who don't want their racket to become a limiting factor in their smashes. I would say that control has less influence on tension choice. You just need to get good at controlling the bird with a powerful racket.

Could anyone recommend a tension and string gauge for this purpose?

Generally speaking, the higher the tension, the less the power. And at 21 lbs with 0.68 mm strings the power reduction is quite noticeable on my Ti-7. So why do so many people string at 25 to 30 lbs? One article suggested that for tensions of around 30 lbs, power actually increases again. Is this the tension range for 'explosive' shots? Even with good technique and power and using the sweet spot, my strings still resonate a note, instead of a 'slap'.

Macey

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yes, there is! All you have to do is to go to a few stringers, then ask them "if a customer comes for a restring without spcifying the tension, what is the tension the racquet will be strung at?" And then you will find the tension that most people use.

Then you will say, most people on the discussion board do not string at these tensions. That again is true, but the number of people on the forum represents only a tiny minority of the people out there playing badminton.;)

14. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

That's the whole point though.
    The tension that gives the most repulsion is dependant on the swing speed which is dependant on the individual.
    What most people use & what is optimum is a totally different thing. There must be loads of people that aren't getting the best out of their racquet. I mean all of us can play with 18lb but most of us will hit harder with a higher tension.

The higher the swing speed the faster the strings need to spring back to add the trampoline effect.
    Control also has a huge influence as the sweet spot shrinks as tension goes up.

You need to be able to hit the shuttle squarely at high speeds to take advantage of High tensions. Most people increase tension as they advance because they hit cleaner & better technique allows them to develop more power/speed.

When warming up my smashes the first set of smashes sound "dull" until I start to increase my swing speed as I loosen up. After a certain point the connection starts to get crisper & you start to hear the "crack" as the shuttle really starts to explode off the racquet.
    You can tell if the tension is right for you depending on if you can reach that point or when you hit that point & you've still got plenty of extra swing spare.

There's threads on ideal tension that are well worth searching for. . .

#14 mindfields, Oct 27, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2003
  15. graphite

graphite Regular Member

Student
    Sad to say that there is really no ideal tension for everyone. Just like what mindfields said, it varies according to the swing speed of each person. Generally, if you have a high swing speed and couple it with high tension (optimal to your swing speed of course!), it will make the most out of your game and vice versa. Thats why beginners need to have a lower string tension since their swing speed is not yet that fast. As for me, I started to string my rackets at 18lbs a year ago, then went up to 20 in about 4 months, another few months and went up to 22. Now I string my rackets at 24lbs since I find that any higher and I my arm gets tired pretty easily and any lower reduces the speed and control of my shots.

16. iluvthesun

Hey ppl, I found this quote from a review,

Ti 10 Review by bobz from alexandria va, USA,

The good sound you hear is made by a very good string with a high tension

I agree that the 'crack' sound only comes when you've warmed up properly and are hitting from the sweet spot. But that's only if you've got a racket/string/string tension combination that allows you to do that.

Considering that my arm strength/swing speed is not bad, I have never experienced that effect with my Ti-7 Long strung at 21 lbs with Ashaway 21.

Therefore, there must be a narrow range of tensions that, once you've warmed up properly, gives you the explosive effect.

Btw you guys, what racket/string/string tension do you use. Hopefully it'll give us a clearer picture!

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Ideal tension...

Read somewhere in the forum and also overheard from a stringer/player during a club session that playing with tension higher than 24lbs yield more power with feather birdies, but will not gain much with plastic ones (which may apply to most North American/European recreational players).

Personally speaking, I have yet to going higher than 25lbs (racquet broke in a clash that time:()... playing well and getting used to 24lbs right now. Presently using BG 70 PRO, I might go higher the next time I upgrade my strings to BG 85.

18. iluvthesun

Thanks Cappy for the very important point I missed.

Feather shuttles do give the 'cracking' sound with almost every shot on my Ti-7, which has 0.68 mm strings. Am I right in saying that thin strings are more suited to feather shuttles than plastic ones? So if I play with plastic shuttles most of the time, then I should use a thicker string gauge, and maybe that will give me the 'cracking' sound.

It's actually pretty simple to understand, if you picture it in your mind. With thicker strings, there is more surface area of string in contact with the shuttle.

Thick strings => good for plastic birds
    Thin strings => good for feather birds

Tell me guys if this is right!

19. graphite

graphite Regular Member

Student
    I don't know about the thin strings for feathers and thick strings for plastics since we always play with feather shuttles here, btw I use a Prince Triple Threat Bolt at 24lbs with BG65 and Gosen, Trump or Tronex shuttles and even with a thicker gauge string (0.70mm), it still gives me the crack sound when I hit the shuttle..

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Which statement is correct?

:p