Son Wan Ho ( 孫完虎 )

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by undeadshot, Apr 29, 2012.

1. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I done a thread search for him, and couldn't find his thread.

I would like to say congratulations to him for winning his first SS title, beating names like Lee Chong Wei and Peter Gade en route to the title! :)

First appeared (for me) in the AE 2010 where he reached the QF as a qualifier, narrowly losing to LCW in 3 games.

2. leo1992

leo1992 Regular Member

What a huge upset. LCW wasn't in top form :\

3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

he also will be at the 2012 London Olympic, congratulations

4. sharathcv

sharathcv Regular Member

Engineer
    Superb game by Shon Wan Ho. Sad that LCW lost, but the way Shon played the first game was really superb.

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I first saw him in AE2010. Amazing footwork! very fast and controlled.

Not seen him since...if his strokeplay improves he can be a great player. He has the basics to be good!

6. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I really only saw him at this year's Victor Korea open in 2012 against LCW. I remember him playing out of his skin in the first game, he was just out maneuvering LCW in every department of the game, but it was a pace that was unsustainable for him. Definitely saw great potential in him. For today's match, great mental fortitude when he lost his lead in the 3rd game while 18-14 up, only to have LCW take the next five points to be 19-18. Most people would have been so disheartened by this would have lost the game, but he toughed it out to win 21-19 with some courageous shots at the net.

I'll be looking out for him in the future.

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

About time Shon got his own thread :)

As many others did, I first saw him in the QF of the AE 2010 vs Lee CW. His play impressed me, but like the commentator of that day said, he lacked explosive power. His game was very passive, and although he had excellent footwork, great stamina and shot technique, he still lacked something, in order to kill of LCW in that match.

He somewhat disappeared for a while playing under the radar and getting very little coverage on the TV courts.

Then a couple of months ago, I stumbled across this video of him playing Tien Ming Nguyen of Vietnam:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1f71yU0tN0&feature=youtube_gdata_player (great quality of video btw)

His play had developed, his smash although not the most accurate in the game was powerful and it was far more aggressive than I had remembered him, although he didn't win the match, his play definitely had improved a lot, which caused me to look out for his results more closely.

So this year he has played very well, he took LCW again to 3 games at the start of the year, and only narrowly lost to Taufik and Simon earlier in the year, but still improving.

Looking at the draw for the India Open Super Series, I picked him out from the bottom half of the draw to be a threat in this tournament. With Gade being injured, I felt that he was bound to have a Semi Final clash with Chen Jin (which ultimately never arose)

After watching his match vs Kashyap, I felt that his net play and power from the back of the court was exceptional. His ability at the net was supreme, and I felt he could be quite deceptive as well from overheads and coming forward to the net. This is why I predicted that he had a good chance of victory today in the final. (personally I thought he would win, and was supporting him)

His victory shows how far he's improved, however there is many things that he still has to work on. First of all, his consistency seems to lack, he has lost to Chen Yuekun of China and Yamada of Japan, he needs to win when expected as well as against top players. Secondly, he can be up and down during games. He needs to keep his calm when in front and not squander leads, when he is "in the zone" he seems unstoppable.

Let's see how he deals with threats from China, and how he deals with this weeks win. Hopefully, the only way is up! :)

8. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

He's absolutely no threat on his high backhand however. LCW got to step in big time when SWH turned his back because he hardly ever plays the clear from his backhand.
    At least in his most recent match.

9. Heong

Heong Regular Member

He is a very nice all-round player. Has decent power in his smashes and very good accuracy

But what stood out the most yesterday beating LCW is his ability to play shots to his advantage e.g taking on LCW and set up for the smash down the line or into body. He was able to find the line in many occasions and really frustrated LCW with his defensive blocks. He also plays with alot of variation, so it is difficult for any of his opponents to predict his shots. He was very composed throughout the match and stuck with his game plan and that's how he pulled off his win

I've also noticed that he makes a very distinct sound when he hits the shuttle compared to other players... a much softer sound? maybe just his strings

#9 Heong, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  10. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I watched his match for the second time in India 2012 SS Final against The One & Only World No. 1 Dato LCW. He is a good promising player from Korea. I am really impressed with his defensive & smashes ability last night. He is able to defend several of LCW smashes & able to launch powerful smashes that make LCW clueless to defend with. He is really brave as well to challenge one of the world best net shot player, yesterday. I believe somehow it will influence LCW confidence, not to mention the improvement SWH has achieved after their last encounter.

Credit must be given to LCW as well to have the spirit to score several points in a row, however he lost his momentum at the end, & SWH utilized it really well.

11. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I remember during Chong Wei's AEC interview, he mentioned that Cheng Long's specialty is his youth and fighting spirit. Shon Wan Ho looks to have the same commitment to his games.

A new star on the rise is always a fresh thing in badminton entertainment :)

12. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    It is good to see another Young MS Player who are able to challenge CL. Soon after all 4 Heavenly Kings retired, these 2 players along with Viktor Axelsen & Kenichi Tago might be nominated as one of the new Heavenly Kings.

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Fantastic performance by SWH. Very happy for him. Coming at just the right time with the right coach.

14. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

You flatter CL too much. How can he be a heavenly king. His movement is so ugly to watch.

15. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Yes, i agree that his movement is not that enjoyable to watch, however interesting to see after all 4 Heavenly Kings retired who gonna win the WC, AE & Super Series Master Final in the following year. CL is still young yet he is able to push LCW to a certain extent while they both meet up, the same goes to SWH.

16. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Chen Long definitely

Shon Wan Ho, Kenichi Tago and Viktor Axelson are also possible

But I'm sure they would bring up new faces not long after their retirement since the coaches now have more time to look after the little ones in the camp

17. fathonezic

fathonezic Regular Member

Consultant
    4 new heavenly kings ??
    too fast to talk about that i think...
    there are so many talents out there....

18. Granum

Granum Regular Member

SWH outplayed LCW is a CL-like manner. He played with good accuracy and patient play to beat him.
    I don't believe LCW has the skill to take down defensive players like CL, SWH, and SDK easily like LD does, which is why these players score wins over him.

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the way to play LCW is to keep the games real tight*, a couple of points either way and eventually he will fold under pressure.

*- easier said than done for most players!

#19 AlanY, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  20. hanser

hanser Regular Member

mgr
    But I think Hans-Kristian VITTINGHUS is more exciting then Viktor Axelson though.