Singles Strategy

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Dr.Dino, May 1, 2012.

1. Dr.Dino

Dr.Dino Regular Member

I understand well how in singles the general strategy is to hit the birdie to where your opponent is not or to a place which puts them into a difficult position. For this, I know that its about your opponent's positioning and that there really isn't much of a strategy, its just the general idea. But I would like some help for strategy that you can follow, like, if your opponent lifts the serve what shot should I most likely to play, what if he drops or clears back to me when I cleared to him? Also where should I be hitting those shots (on the court)?
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thank you :D

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I always got told to play the L shape . Avoid cross court cause it opens u up a lot. U would only cross court if you know u can get there for the return!

So if your in backhand corner the best replies are straight clear, smash, drop or cross court drop so it makes a L shape. As I said make sure if you cross court, u can recover!!

If you drop, make it a fast drop which lands on the front service line. The tight slow drops wil either get killed by better players or they do a very tight spinning net shot and its near impossible to get back.

Hope this helps a bit

3. dzgotgame

dzgotgame New Member

4. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    While the L pattern is a good singles strategy, there is also the cross-court pattern and hold pattern.

By only using one pattern, you limit yourself. The cross-court pattern is tricky because if you are cross-court lift, you face the possibility to be cut off. A good time to use the cross-court pattern is after you push your opponent to the back whether it is a hold or L pattern and drop to the diagonal corner.

These patterns should be used based on the weakness of the opponent. If your opponent is slow moving laterally, play the L-shape pattern. If you partner can not reach the diagonals, play the Cross-court. If you opponent is relatively quick on court, play the hold pattern as generally these players return to the base quick and moving back to the same spot, usually back-court, catches them off-guard.

These patterns are open-space patterns and which at a higher level are used to create open space for an attacking shot, usually a smash.

5. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Err, someone care to explain the L pattern? Not really sure what you guys are talking about and I am curious.

6. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I think L pattern is where to hit your shots. For example, back corner, drop shot, and cross-court drop shot. Take those as points and connect the dots and you get the letter L.

7. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Cool cool! didn't think of that! I only hit to the 4 corners instead o.o

8. Dr.Dino

Dr.Dino Regular Member

Thanks guys, but I have a question, for the L shape, are you making the L shape or are you making your opponent running the L-shape? If either one could you may be explain it a bit more?
    Thanks

#8 Dr.Dino, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  9. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    Well, you can't really decide where you go yourself. I would say you try to make your opponent run the L-shape.

10. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    The problem with that is if you hit a cross-court back corner...if it's short...it'll end being a good opportunity for your opponent to smash. It really depends where you are on the court and what kind of shot you can make.

Yeah...it's where you want to make your opponent go. I normally play against my friend (who's right handed). My first shot is normally a clear to his backhand. Then I either clear it to the same spot, drop shot, or cross-court drop shot. Sometimes smash if he made a bad return. So it's a backwards L for me. In any case...it's to make him run around the court. The odd times I see him cheating to his backhand back corner...so I make a clear to the other back corner instead. Change it up to keep him honest.

11. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    my experience -- cross-court drops works only if you are in command. if you are tired, you will not be able to return a a straight counter drop or straight drive...basically in my view, cross court drop is a weapon that should be used judiciously.

12. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    I wouldnt worry about those L, F, C , B, D, H -whatever shape if I was you, just work on those footwork and stay in the game :D

13. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

could someone also explain the cross court and hold strategies to me? im not sure exactly what you mean by those two.

i tend to hit it front to back for the opponent....i have to develop a strategy lol

14. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Practice being deceptive with your shots, it will make your opponent be late to where the shuttle is and most likely make him clear it.

I try be deceptive with everything so my opponent uses more explosive energy to get to where the shuttle is, so it will tire him out more

15. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Another very valuable strategy is instead of beating them with a single strategy, you can make yourself immune to their strategies by improving your speed, court coverage, and consistency. All of this leads back to your own fitness and technique.

Strategies are only good if yours is better than theirs... and that one strategy can only work for a short period of time before your opponent adapts and counters.
    But it's much harder to counter good fitness and technique.

16. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    Moving cross-court is the single longest straight distance. This potentially makes it a hard shot to cover. If I drop it to the net, my opponent net shots it back, and I cross-court push/lift it will be very hard to return. There is also the clear to the back, then play the drop to the cross-court side.

Some people may not be fast enough or use a lot of energy getting to both shots.

The Hold pattern is for very fast opponents who move back to the base very quickly. By moving back to the base quickly, it allows him or herself to cover other shots around the court. If you are playing this opponent and you play a shot that hits to the same corner as your last shot, you will find they will have a hard time moving back or get caught.

17. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

thanks jonster. i'd never have suspected hitting to the same corner would be called a "hold" lol.

18. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    You what ! honestly some people on here got no clue in what they are talking about in term of badminton , they will be better in the racket /strings section , lol :D.

#18 Staiger1, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

never heard of hold pattern.