Men's Singles Back up Players

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by eaglehelang, May 2, 2012.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

[h=2]BACK-UP shuttler Lim Fang Yang is set to resign from the national squad after having failed to make progress while Syawal Ismail will be dropped by the BA of Malaysia (BAM) soon. [/h] In fact, Fang Yang, 22, had offered to resign several months ago but was asked to stay on by BAM as he is one of the most hardworking players in the back-up squad.
    National singles chief coach Rashid Sidek said Fang Yang Mentakab, is still useful as a sparring partner to the national players, and this is something he may consider after this.
    "Fang Yang is one of the most hardworking players in the back-up squad and is very disciplined. It's a pity that he couldn't achieve the desired results on the international stage," said Rashid.
    "Even if he is out of the national squad, Fang Yang can still contribute as a sparring partner.
    "Syawal has also stagnated while his teammates in the junior days like Misbun Ramdan and Iskandar (Zulkarnain Zainuddin) have shown a marked improvement."
    Chan Kwong Beng is the other player who was under pressure at the end of last year due to lack of results but his value as Lee Chong Wei's most effective sparring partner probably has given him a new lease of life and he also performed well in the Australia Open grand prix gold a fortnight ago where he reached the quarter-finals.
    He was eventually selected as one of the two sparring players, the other being Ramdan, for the Thomas Cup squad but a wrist injury a few days ago has put his trip to China in doubt.
    Kwong Beng is out of the Malaysia Open next week and if he fails to recover in time, Rashid said another shuttler will be identified as the sparring partner for the Thomas Cup squad.

Read more: Fang Yang set to resign - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/fang-yang-set-to-resign-1.79170#ixzz1tlqLMPkn

There are already individual threads for some of the back up MS players, this is for the rest who dont have individual threads

2. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Thursday May 3, 2012
    Ramdan aims to keep Sidek legacy alive
    JOHOR BARU: Misbun Ramdan has the height and striking looks and is growing to be more like his father Misbun Sidek.
    More importantly, the 21-year-old Ramdan is determined to keep the Sidek badminton legacy alive.
    So far, he is on the right track and it would not be wrong to say that he is the most improved back-up shuttler this year.
    He is one of the two players under coach Hendrawan chosen to accompany the Thomas Cup squad as sparring partners for the centralised training in Dongguan from May 13-18 and the Finals in Wuhan from May 20-29. The other is Goh Soon Huat.
    Ramdan also reached his first international final at the French International last month and, within a year, has improved from 183rd to 83rd in the world rankings.
    Looking much fitter now, Ramdan said the constant moaning over the lack of replacements for world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei had pushed him to step out of his comfort zone.
    “It’s time for me to step up and be ready to take over the mantle of national No. 1 soon,” said Ramdan, who hopes to break into the top 30 in the world by the end of the year.
    He is so focused on his game that he is ready to shut off the attention he gets from the girls.
    “It’s strictly badminton for me right now. I used to fool around during my school days but not anymore,” he said.
    “I’m grateful that I have been selected as a sparring partner for the Thomas Cup squad.
    “I will be in Wuhan with the team and it will be a great experience for me. I hope to be a key member of the team in 2014.”
    Ramdan said former world champion Hendrawan and former singles chief coach Misbun had been influential in his new transformation.
    “The most significant change is my physical condition. Hendrawan has really put a lot of emphasis in this area,” he said.
    “My father doesn’t coach me anymore but he never fails to give me tips that are invaluable.”
    Yesterday, Ramdan reached the second round of the Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold at the Bandaraya Stadium in just 14 minutes to beat Canadian Brandon Wynn-Morris 21-6, 21-4.
    He may meet Mohd Hafiz Hashim in the quarter-finals if the latter beatsLee Dong-keun of South Korea today.
    Hafiz said Ramdan’s attacking style of play was similiar to Misbun and his uncle Rashid Sidek.
    “However, I wish he would be more bold on court. He shouldn’t be in awe of his opponent no matter who that is.
    “He’s fitter now and can handle his emotions on court. He can develop into a top player.”
    The other men’s singles second round matches involving Malaysians today are Lee Chong Wei vs Michael Fowke (Nzl); Chong Wei Feng vs Kento Momota (Jpn); Soon Huat vs Shesar Hiren Rhustavito (Ina); Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin vs Beryno Wong Jiann Tze; Zulfadli Zulkifli vs Ashton Chen; Liew Daren vs K. Srikanth; and Lim Fang Yang vs Takuma Euda (Jpn).

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2012/5/3/sports/11217552.asp&sec=sports

3. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

So, who is considered back-up now? The media still seems to consider Liew Daren, Chong Wei Feng and Arif as back-up.

My idea of the elite : Lee Chong Wei, Liew Daren, Chong Wei Feng, Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Chan Kwong Beng
    Back-up : Goh Soon Huat, Iskandar Zulkarnain, Misbun Ramdan Misbun, Loh Wei Sheng, Mohd Syawal Ismail, Nur Mohd Aziryn Ayub and others...?

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    see how they treat u?
    they treat u as a sparring partner
    not as a player who focused to training and product result.

in another words,u are only the monster for some to up level,u will never be the hero in game.

5. undeadshot

That is why the backup never improve. They are always treated as sparring partners for LCW only.

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    does the president of bam care about it?
    does the ctc or whatsoever play angry bird council care about it?
    this is so wrong,this is because we dont have a bersih clean and fair selection for every post in bam.
    when proton give a big sponsorship,their people become president of bam
    when bata give a smaller sponsorship,their people become the part time hpd in bam
    do they know anything about badminton?
    they only know about money.
    this is what happen in malaysia.

7. eaglehelang

I consider only LCW as elite. Hafiz was also in the elite but he's independent now. After LCW retires,then Daren, CWF,CKB should move up to elite. Those like Goh SH, Iskandar, Ramdan and juniors aft them are back up. Arif,somewhere in between.

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Sorry for being blunt again...

If I am BAM, I will throw everyone into the crocodile pit. See who can survive. So far, only lcw. ;)

9. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    All they care is about money, that's what they are living for..

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yup
    thats why we need bersih in bam too.

11. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

all the men singles cannot even get through to the qfinals of the vietnam gp 2012.... last chance.... mohd arif..... whos fate is almost a foregone conclusion too since he is facing top seed nguyen tien minh..

BAM... are you ever going to show results?

12. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    GP too hard for them...furthermore now still Raya mood, pity Arif, Iskandar, Ramdan, Zulfadli, Lufti and gang....

13. undeadshot

To be fair, I would say that Iskandar and Arif did pretty well in this tournament, reaching as far as they can before getting knocked out by higher seeds.
    Zul/Ramdan... no comment.
    Chan Kwong Beng is the worst case :mad: Losing to Hong Kong junior!

14. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

well recently Iskandar just kicked out by Alam today...

15. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

the whole malaysian squad not good enough even for a gp gold tournament (everyone ...elite ...backup whatever) except .. KKK&TBH, LCW, and CPS&GLY

so depressing

16. danielwong

Salesman
    some WD, XD and MD still around in Vietnam...dont give up hope just yet

17. undeadshot

Misbun Ramdan Misbun beats Liew Daren and Chong Wei Feng to become jaguh kampung of 2012...

Can he translate this to international results? Because Liew Daren and Chong Wei Feng are still far ahead in international...

18. eaglehelang

19. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Goodness gracious, stop the politiking barricades of 'you help me, I help you' already, bring up the qualified candidates, get out of the office and go down the field and open your eyes big big. There just might be another LCW down there! Stop fantasizing about park Joo bong already. Wake up and grow up.

20. danielwong

Salesman
    any yardstick to decide whether a player should stay or leave?
    does BAM have any criteria to decide for that? of course in this case, CKB decide to leave by himself
    but there is no clear rules on this....some under perform for years and left at very late stage
    some leave early and get reprimanded....some just leave and no action taken....