Footwork rhythm; 1st step fast, last step slow

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cheung, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    When you take more than one step to reach the shuttle, bear in mind the above.

If you can, viewcam yourself....do you do this?;)

2. reenignelivic

reenignelivic Regular Member

Student
    Funny... I have learnt some footwork from a vcd demo by a former female chinese national player.. Too bad I don't know how to translate her name into english.. Anyway, she emphasizes slow and small step at first, then bigger and faster step as you move closer to the bird which is just a total opposite of what Cheung is telling us here...

So far I am moving on court as she says, I can get around the court mostly with this theory.. However, I believe I am not fast enough... I may try to make faster step at the beginning tomorrow and let you know what happens

3. reenignelivic

reenignelivic Regular Member

Student
    Sorry for double posting.. I forgot to ask questions in the last thread..

Cheung:

1) Is the footwork rhythm you mention here applied to back court to front court? side to side? front to back?

2) Is it applied to surprise attack/sudden defense or regular offense/defense?

I remember the footwork mentioned on the vcd I watched is on regular forward footwork (back to front)

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I am sure that there are different techniques and ideals behind all the various techniques but yeah, I was taught (and teaches) small (fast), small (fast) with the last step being the lunge (big and checking step for recovery so slow). I am using the 3-step method here.

With the 2-step, certainly the same applies (small/big).

5. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I think the idea behind what Cheung is saying is that the more momentum you have in the last step, more effort and time will be needed to stop, recover, and reverse. That's the simple physics of it. Ideally, it seems best to decelerate into the last step, plant, hit, and where it applies, use the momentum of the swing follow-through to start you back to a ready position. This is what I try to do, but in the reality of play, sometimes I have to go all out to get to the shot, so I have no choice but to go full speed into the last step. That means I have to hit a pure defensive return or something very well placed because I would not be able to recover in time otherwise.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    reenignelivic

So how did it go? I think you only have to look at some good quality videos of singles play and then it will be clearer.

This is a point I myself have been lacking - maybe from lack of fitness or training. I played a game of singles the other night just thinking of this technique. I was up real fast in the game. The opponent pulled back to win and in my post-game analysis I think I wasn't fit enough (carrying a slight ankle sprain these last couple of weeks) to last at that rhythm through out. Something definately to think about.

Re emphasize that the footwork has to be correct placement in the first place.

Note that after hitting the shuttle, the first recovery step is to regain balance and recover some position; it is not what is meant to be the fast step.