Forever Young – a tribute to Peter.

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 4, 2012.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Forever Young – a tribute to Peter.

It's sometimes hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that Peter Gade will not be playing competitive badminton before this year is over. It feels like he's always been there, in almost every tournament I've watched, every year I remember.

And yet, the sands are running out.

Ever since the All England this year, it’s beginning to feel like a long farewell tour. Every time he steps on court, I want to stand up and applaud this man. I want to let him know how grateful I am for what he has brought to this game: true grit; style and substance; compassion; and integrity.

I want to tell him that I admire him for the way he's used his star power and status to bring a ray of hope to so many underprivileged children in many corners of the world. I want to show him how much I respect him.

But I’ve never met him, or even seen him in person. If I did, what would I do? I’d probably go into a shell, forget everything I ever wanted to say, stammer and shake. I’d be flying too close to the sun.

So, like the recluse-in-denial that I become when something I love is taken away from me, I will retreat into my shell.

May you always be courageous

Stand upright and be strong

But that is not how Peter would do it. He’d fight back with all he’s got, and then some, to reclaim what he loves. It’s what makes for champions. And Peter loves the game. It’s what has kept him young.

May your hands always be busy
    May your feet always be swift

Peter’s sharp, astute mind was evident to all even when he first started playing as a boy; it only got sharper and clearer from then on. Allied to his huge spirit and absolutely dedicated work ethic, it was no surprise he rose to the top of the heap very soon.

May you have a strong foundation
    When the winds of changes shift

I have witnessed a procession of champions and legends announce themselves, show their brilliance, and then fade into the night. Peter has endured. And the longer he endured, the more I took his presence among the best of the best for granted. Maybe it’s just my fault that I feel betrayed by his wanting to leave. After all, he’s not even 40 years, yet.

At the peak of his powers, at the pinnacle of his youth, he was being constantly challenged by the other best players in the world. At the waning, he constantly challenged the best players in the world.

Through it all, he never asked nor gave quarter. He humbled; but never humiliated. He lost, but never conceded.

He gave credit where it was due, and left others to indulge in pettiness. And he achieved all this with the genuine grace and graciousness of a man who has evolved and only refined his sense of inner balance. Peter adopted a well-defined set of values, and he lived his life on court without ever once sacrificing those core values.
    That itself, I thought, set him apart from almost all others I admired.

Yes, I suppose he will make a great ambassador for the game. He may become a great coach. He is certainly a loving husband and father from all that we know of the man. I cannot help but feel that whatever he chooses going forward, he will approach it with the same passion and commitment that he gave for the game he so loves.

Some people take up a line of work with a passion, and as the years go by, they lose some of their boyish, youthful enthusiasm for it. Some people reach that point where they just want to take their foot off the gas pedal, and allow someone else to drive, or just allow things to take their own course. Others lose their passion, or lose their way.

May your heart always be joyful
    May your song always be sung
    And may you stay forever young

There are a handful of people who maintain their passion for life and excellence like a religion; only, it’s never a burden, it becomes a celebration. Their energy is infectious. Their joy is illuminating.

Peter is one such exceptional human being. He is living proof that age, like youth, is all a matter of mind.

Forever young, forever young
    May you stay forever young

For all that, Peter, thank you.

For all that, Peter, I will miss you dearly.

peterpan1.jpg

#1 cobalt, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Yes, we shall miss Peter Hoeg Gade when he retires.

For so many years I have followed him, I have to say he is a great ambassador of Badminton.

3. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    i agree with everything said here...it would be great to see him coaching....at least he'll still get some tv time...lol...like morten frost....love his style of play...smart, relaxed and smooooth

4. shosasakigamba

shosasakigamba Regular Member

Buyer
    Yes a true Legend. His greatest strength is his ability to adapt, to the new point system, injuries and use his experience to fill the void where his body doesnt move at quite the same speed it used to. I still love the AE game in 2011 where he was playing Nyguen and was literally on his knees breathing heavily but still came through to win. Such a highly technical and fluid style a joy to watch.

5. peranzz

peranzz Regular Member

college student
    i do love peter, the way he swang his racket, just unbeliveable, have a good time peter!!

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

A beautifully written piece. How about submitting this article to badzine and other websites?

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    what would u say be the greatest or best match Peter has ever played?

8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Umm, probably his Thomas Cup 2000 Semifinal vs Hendrawan in Kuala Lumpur. Came back from the dead to force rubber at 17-16. And proceeded to win the decider.

Although with Taufik power, Indonesia did win the tie and the cup.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

[​IMG]
    Ladies and gentlemen, presenting Mr Longevity, The Evergreen, The One and Only, Incomparable, Peter Hoeg Gade ! Let us give him a standing ovation !