String broke on my vtzf, should i change the string or racquet or both?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Dave88, May 6, 2012.

1. Dave88

Dave88 Regular Member

I am an intermediate player, started playing 3 years ago once a week and now play nearly every day. I started with an at150, then bought two vt80's because the marketing pusuaded me to. Never broke a string.Now I have a vtzf with bg66um (white) 22pds, and after one month, the string broke :( . I got it restrung with bg66um yellow 22pds today and managed to break the string within 1 hour! Does this happen a lot with bg66um? Or is it a combination of the racquet and bad technique?Secondly, what would be the closest racquet to the at150 be? The g4 size grip of voltric racquets feels too small for me and I think g3 size grips suit me better. I live in England, do Yonex make g3 voltrics for other regions?Long post, sorry :(, any help or suggestions are appreciated.Thanks :)

2. TimothyHsu

TimothyHsu Regular Member

high schooler
    Ask your stringer to replace the broken grommets because bg66um shouldn't break within one hour. One month may sound reasonable based on how much you play but 1 hour is ridiculous. perhaps a new stringer could solve your problem as well

3. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Agreed. Though BG66UM is thin it has a decent lifespan for its gauge. If it was not a mishit, BG66UM should not break within an hour esp when you only have it strung @ 22lbs. Where did it break? Was any of your grommets worn/broken? Was there any sign of your strings getting crushed (he clamps too tight)?

4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    so.. did you let the string settle down?
    you should not use the racket straight away, you need to let the string settle down.. (leave it for at least 1 day)

Bestzyboush likes this.
  5. joshchin

joshchin Regular Member

Social Worker
    vtzf sweet spot is much smaller than most rackets, so you tend to mishit more. i broke my nanogy 98 in 10 days. now i'm using bg65

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Get your hands on the new Zymax 67. Excellent tension retention, repulsion, and durability.

7. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    22 lbs is very low, unless he hits really hard on that mishit I doubt it's his fault.

8. Dave88

Dave88 Regular Member

Thank you for the feedback, the stringer had the racquet for a week, so I assume that the string was rested. I was happy that I had my racquet back so didn't look at the grommits. The string that broke was a verticall one, three or four from left from the middle, I think I was trying a post body drop or spinning shot.I used the stringer because they gave me a very good price,when the bg80 breaks, I'll use someone else. Thanks for the string suggestion too.

9. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    yeah, try to change the stringer and take a look at the grommets..
    I agree, ZM67 is good and not too expensive

10. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I have experienced similar situation as yours. My BG85 string on W16 was break with only several hits of play. I was being so excited with how well W16 performs and suddenly due to mishits the string broke.
    My guess is that your BG66UM snaps due to mishits. My string also snaps more or less in the same position as yours..

11. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I had some Power Gut 66 on my VTZF and it snapped within minutes but i mishit and it was strung at 26lbs...

BG85 is probably the BEST strings I've EVER used and probably the LEAST durable of all the strings I've tried... So breaking BG85 is normal in my books :p

However, I will definitely say that perhaps the VTZF is not your kind of racquet Dave88.. 22lbs is too low in my books for the VTZF... I don't know if this makes sense but if the strings are too loose and you strike the shuttle.. Maybe the strings can't absorb the energy and caused it to snap... I don't know if it makes sense... But I know I did that with my misweaved AT900P... I knew there was a misweave and I hated the feel of the racquet, so I just hammered it every chance I get with the shuttle and snapped the strings...

12. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    I've had my old Armortech 500 strung with a BG66UM in Japan and it held out like 3 months. In my experience, it's more the skill of the stringer rather than the string itself which is the cause. Of course, if you miss-hit you're more likely to break strings than if you hit the intended sweet spot. I manage to break a BG80 string in about 5 minutes just by making ONE miss-hit while doing clears.