Jogging backwards...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Faisal, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    Hi everybody...

Is it a good idea to run/jog backwards? I have doing it for a couple of days now and the way I do it, is not that I just keep on jogging/running backwards but I raise my hand as if I am gonna hit an overhead clear and my other hand pointing to the shuttle(sky in this case as there is no shuttle :D)...and keep on jogging...Is this good to do?

2. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I think running backwards as part of training is good in that it works leg muscles used in play. I've worked up to doing it uphill at least 5x on a 0.2-mile stretch of road. I don't know if there's value in it for you hold your arms up.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i did something similar. i went for a 3-4 miles jog once. throughout the jog, i was doing exactly what you said, jogging backwards, but i also did side hops on both left and right side. the side hops is also used a lot in badminton. a day after the jog, i noticed that many muscles in my legs are aching, a sign that i have never trained them before...

i don't go for jogging often though, but i think i benefited from that jog.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    in addition to backward jogging, u should do some chasse too (smaller rapid steps).
    I dont jog much but when i do i add ankle hops to my routine. Side to side hops like what kwun said is also helpful. All this make jogging more fun although it looks funny to people who are looking at you. Just try find a remote trail to jog.

5. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

yes my coach teaches the backward jog. we jog for about half a mile , then for about a quarter of a mile go backwards, and so on

6. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    Backwards jogging isn't really sports specific to badminton though. Doing chassés backwards is probably a better idea because that's how you would generally move backwards on a court. The only time you would face forward square to the net and move backwards would be if you're in trouble and you need to back away like a hop.

It's definitely good for cardio though and it works different muscle groups than jogging forwards.

7. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    It's true what u said Pointfore.Ca. I also realized it when I was doing it today and thought of mentioning it but then I saw that u already brought this thing up so ...I mean we don't jog backwards when we are on court, we take big hops or we just take fast small steps to go back...So should I stop doing this?

8. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    There's nothing wrong with improving your cardio by jogging backwards, but it seems like all of the high-performance and competitive coaches are now making everything very sport specific... Most of the top level coaches that I've read about and talked to basically have the mentalilty that if it's not in the game itself, there's no point in practicing it.

So for example, you could improve your footwork on the court by running laps backwards doing alternating chassés backwards. You can improve your cardio doing Chinese footwork instead. Makes sense to me at least. :)

9. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Running backwards works the calves and the large front upper leg muscles (femor). Those are important in badminton.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    It will definately helps your backward steps on court. Try to run backwards uphill. You can really feel the burns on your thighs.

11. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    But how fast do you go? I've tried it real fast before, like running. If you're not careful you'll just fall down. I love side to side hops though.

Pointfore.Ca, what's Chinese footwork??

12. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    I don't do it really fast but I don't jog either...Its just a normal running speed.

Pointfore.Ca, I also want to know what's Chinese footwork:confused:

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Chinese footwork is a chinese doing a footwork :p hehehe.. hmmm first time i heard of chinese footwork.. so what isit? Joanne where do u usualy play??

14. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    just find an even path with no hidden obstacles on the road :D

15. Ugly_FootWurk

Ugly_FootWurk Regular Member

AHHHHH STOP USING THE TERM CHINESE FOOTWORK! (Sorry for shouting!)

As soon as I hear someone from ontario use this term I KNOW they're from the waterloo/brantford/woodstock/paris kitchener area...........

Chinese footwork is not chinese! it's just footwork, theres nothing chinese about chinese footwork if everyone does it!...

Unless you ktichener people can explain to me the difference between chinese and regular footwork then please stop using the term.... hehe..... :)

Yea i know coaches from that area use that term but really it's just your basic 6 corner footwork.

16. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Oh! You mean it's just regular footwork? Then why call it Chinese footwork? :confused:Footwork is used by people all over the world who play badminton afterall.

Ants, I play at the one and only Taman Megah Court though it's expensive but very near to my house. :)

#16 Joanne, Aug 28, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  17. viver

viver Regular Member

Chinese footwork - well probably today does not really say much as almost every high level player use similar type of skills. A casual look there's not much difference how Peter Gade or Xia or Wong Chon Hon or Hendrawan move on court. But if you go back a few years, say in the 80's, you can definetely see the different ways players move on court - if you can find videos of Luan Jin, Zhao JianHua or Yang Yang of China and also videos of Niehroff/Kristen Larssen (spelling??)/S. Karlsson(Sweden?)/Liew Swie King or Lious PongGoh/Kevin Jolly (England) you may see the different patterns.

18. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    I agree there is no such thing as chinese footwork, it is badminton footwork, developed or imporved by badminton coaches, just happens to some extent they are Chinese.

Peter Gade has a coach just for footwork - happends to be Chinese.

19. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Is this the thing where you jog on the spot 30 seconds, hopping 30 secs, jog 30 seconds, something else 30 seconds, keep on going...

Phil

20. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

wow, thats exactly what my coach teaches me as warmup. he also happens to be chinese