Malaysia's MD

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by whizkelv, Aug 17, 2003.

1. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Malaysia men's doubles team standard appears to be declining from bad to worst. It seems that Yap KH is not doing a good job since he took over the mantle from Park JB late last year.

It's rather embarassing that the top 2 MD pairs were humiliated by the young Chinese pairs in straight sets during the Malaysia-China friendlies. To make the matter worst, Choong/Lee were given a 15-1 bashing by Cai/Fu in the second set. A year ago, the top Chinese used to be weaker than these 2 pairs.

This is a wake up call for Yap KH. It's time for him to stop being the Mr "Nice Guy". He needs to get tough to see results. He should make harsh decisions including splitting Chan/Chew and Choong/Lee.

2. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

agreed...

...last time Malaysia MD is Feared By All..

Cheah Soon Kit- Yap Kim Hock...

now... Malaysia MD is back to infant stage.....

how come...

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Are you sure about this? I don't think the Koreans or Indonesians (players of course) share your idea.

About 'why', beats me. I too am quite confused at the state of our men's doubles. Really really embarassing.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Yap does look like Mr. NiceGuy, but is he really during training?

i remember reading somewhere that they are considering swapping Yap with Cheah. Cheah is currently in charge of the women's team if i remember correctly.

it will be interesting as Cheah is definitely NOT Mr. NiceGuy.

5. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Kwun's comments might have some truth, but Cheah and Yap don't really get along anymore. So if Cheah comes in, Yap will go. Not sure when this will happen, but might be soon.

Anyway, the young pairs need to be blooded. Choong and Lee is finished, they cannot keep up anymore. Some slim hope left for Chan/Chen though.

6. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Sorry, I meant Chan/Chew.

7. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Coach Yap recall, please vote

Although BAM has said Yap is still the MD coach but I'm sure somewhere in the dark alley Yap was warned to turn things around or else Cheah would come in as replacement. I think Yap has to make big changes just like Misbun when he first took charge of MS. It's nice to be like by players but if the desire results are not met then ... Yap reminds me of Park Jubong, excellent coach but lacks of toughness to players.
    I prefer Cheah and if Malaysia MDs still do badly in coming SG_INA_MAS tournaments then I will have coach Yap recall ... I think I have enough votes to support Cheah.

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Ong Beng Teong could make a great doubles coach.

9. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    It's quite true, I believe. The two don't get along well at all apart from professional terms. I remember reading somewhere about a disagreement in playing or training commitment somewhere.

But I have to really commend them on their professionalism though; to be able to play with one another when they don't like each other is really something all of us can learn.

Oh, the famous Cheah temper could really help put fear in the head of the young charges, as he'd go "you better do good you'll see me angry, you don't like me when I'm angry..."

What China and Indonesia have that (with all due respect to BAM and Nusa coaches) is the stringent requirements in training. I know of Chinese players who are trained in such strict regimes that each move and shot is prefected. Errors will be punished.

This can be counter-productive, of course, but I can see little of that happening in Malaysia unless a change in mindset is to happen. My general perception of things here is Malaysian training are 'not as strict'. Even if it is, the problem may lie in the approach.

I once remember Yang Yang commented on Rashid Sidek's comment on his training style not fitting RS's, saying, "If the way I'm trained can allow me to beat the best and become a world champion, why can't he be trained that way?".

This was of course, the time when politics had too much to say in the sport. Good coaches come and go because the management cannot have their ego bruised. Fortunately, that is changing now. Coaches have more say, the management meddle less.

Or is it?

#9 wilfredlgf, Aug 17, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2003
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    To put things into perspective, Yap KH hasn't had the grounding as some of his more experienced coaching colleagues.

I think he was coaching junior squad players first, then moved onto seniors. Compare to Park JB (england coach first), Morten Frost (Denmark coach), Indra (everywhere), Misbun (running NM stable)....perhaps becoming a coach needs time to mature, knowledge to cope with different personalities etc. Learn how to look at the players from the coaching perspective to bring out the best in a player.

Another thing on which I think goes against Yap is that these current players were actually his teammates not so long ago. I'm just thinking it may be harder to mentally motivate some of the current players with them thinking not so long ago that they were on the same level. I don't suggest it is a concious thing, more on a subconcious level.

11. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Couple of points on what's been said...

Firstly I agree it is difficult to go from playing / training with/ beating a player to coaching them, the player needs to be willing to be coached by the former player.

Secondly the comments on the "toughness " of various coaches. If we are talking about the workload being set then clearly that needs to be as heavy as any of the other top countries. If we are talking about attention to detail on shots, tactics, quality of practice then every world class coach would need to have this.

But if we are talking about the coach needing a constantly aggressive / frightening personna to motivate / control the players then perhaps the problem is with the players and not coaches. I know quite a few coaches have moved to other countries such as England and , despite being former world class players found that they command little respect from some of the players, but thats more a cultural, personnal attitude thing isn't it?

12. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

This is definitely a worth considering idea for BAM!!!
    The fact that 2 top Malaysian WD players quited after Cheah took over simply proves that he is the kind of "buck up, or get out" type of coach.
    These 3 players will definitely get the boot if Cheah takes over - Choong, Lee & Chew.

13. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I understand your frustration but if those three players were booted out where would Malaysia be in md? If the youngsters are good enough they will be beating these players already.

If you went to the Thomas cup with 2 new mens pairs and they didn't win a game how would you feel then?

14. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Sometimes, you've got to really get tough to achieve what you want.
    It may not bear immediate results.

Take the case of China, after Li YB-Tian BY era, they went through a difficult 10 years in MD until recently. In the process, some good pairs did emerge such as the 2 Chens and 2 Zhangs but they did not really gave much trouble to the top pairs until recently. Just as Joel reported, Zhang Wei was even kicked back to his province as he's probably not showing any more progress (just like the 3 Malaysian jokers)!!! And now, China are seeing at least 3 world class beaters in the making.

It's Ok to lose SEA Games this year, what we need is exposure for youngsters like Koo KK, Ong SH, Jack Koh and Tan BS. If they work hard enough, there's always chance for them to get on par with the young Chinese who are also about their age or 1-2 years older.

15. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

actually ...

BAM should let the youngsters get exposure of International Events...

I Believe in this way... they'll gain experience faster and probably will become a World Class Player Before 20.

.... Shouldn't Wait Until The Seniors Retire Then Only Let The Youngsters Take Over.

Should Start Exposure From Now. So When Seniors Retire, Youngsters Won't Be So Nervous Because They Already Got Experience...

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I do agree that Malaysian MD is declining. There is not much improvement. Other countries like China and Indonesian even the Danish MD is getting stronger.
    We don't have potential upcoming MD from the youth that can be a threat to the world. Maybe Malaysia have to learn things from China and Indonesia from the infant stage.
    And also we have to be trained on the mental side as well... have to be mentally strong to overcome the challenges.

17. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

From what everyone have posted here. I think the general idea is that Cheah would be preferable to Yap if Yap does not take out his "chopper" and stop being Mr Niceguy.

Also, the old guards have to go, especially Choong / Lee (I am sad to say this since they have contributed quite significantly for the past decade despite disciplinary problems!!) Chan Chong Ming is still very good, but he needs a partner that can take a beating as well and not buckle under pressure, Chew Choon Eng is just not consistent enough.

Khoo Kien Keat, Ong Soon Hock, Jack Koh and Tan Bin Shen are Malaysia's future. They have the qualities to become world beaters, I have seen them and they are really quick. Also, they have the height and power, something that has become a pre-requisite in todays game. Anyone who has seen Cai Yun / Fu HaiFeng will know what I mean (I personally think Fu HaiFeng is the best of them all at the moment).

18. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Chan/Chew lost to Clark Robertson in Singapore (they beat them at WC), they seem to heading downwards! Maybe they should be axed!

19. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

That's why I would suggest that this pair to be placed on 3 months probation, buck up or get lost, and stop wasting the tax-payers money!!:mad:
    Otherwise, they will take their places in the national squad for granted, considering they are the national number one!

#19 whizkelv, Aug 22, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2003
  20. pisanggoreng

pisanggoreng Regular Member

this is why we have koo kien keat tbh now