Working on clears.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by odjn, Aug 17, 2003.

1. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys,

I did a search on this forum but i couldn't get any threads that talked a lot about clears. ..:confused: (Sorry if a thread like this has been created)

So I've been watching somebody at a gym play, and i noticed that he could clear from his back line to the other end of the court. Also, his clear would almost reach the top of the ceiling then fall strait down.

I'm just wondering if anyone here can do that.

..and if you can, what are the proper techniques and stuff you have to know and do in order to do a clear like that?

2. My99broke

My99broke Regular Member

Student
    maybe you can download some videos and watch the tecnique and follow through from some of the pros, that could help a little.

3. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    What's his shuttle plastic or feather? I can do that if it's plastic coz it a bit heavier than featherd ones...

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Strike the shuttle more above your head. Of course, I assume you have good technique already.

Other than that, play in a gym that has a low ceiling:D

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    why not ask that fellow? If he can do what you wish you could do, just go and ask him to show you, or just keep watching him when he does it...

a little tip to making a good crisp clear is hitting the shuttle cork at the proper angle to minimize shuttle resistance. you take some time and figure this out...

6. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    if i'm doing a demonstration for someone, or someone simply asks me to hit a really high clear as an example or something, i REALLY make sure to hit the bird using my ENTIRE body.... it sounds simple, but you'd be amazed how many ppl don't (myself included during games and regular drills) if you turn your body, and as you swing, push up on ur legs, you'd be amazed how high and far you'll hit the bird..... just my experience though....

7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Agreed.

Ever since I learnt how to do body rotation, I find that high clears needs less effort to execute. I guess it's about focusing the power on the racquet face to maximize impact, channeling the extra from body movement.

See what you can learn from BF? :D

8. ArchDevil145

ArchDevil145 Regular Member

student
    How about a jumping clear? What are its effects on your clear?

9. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    for me, assuming i am using the jump just for the hell of it, absolutely none....... normally i jump during a game because most opponents expect a drop/smash out of it, or cuz jumping 1 step would be faster than running a step (ie, i am out of position)

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I agree with Nanashi here. A clear is a clear, you need not jump to do it.

11. angelus_2012

angelus_2012 Regular Member

ok, from my style:
    here goes,

to do a far clear from the back court to the opposite back court that fall straight down:

first u should bend ur upper body. u head should face the shuttle, and u bend ur upper body to gain momentum.
    then, u pull ur shoulders to the back of your neck. u may use ur other hand to direct and stabilise urself.

then, swing ur arm slightly above the shuttle level, but u must hit it, so that u perform a high swing to the shuttle. this is because u wan the shuttle to fall down accurately. then u need to hit it accurately too.

at the almost end of the hit, u need to flick ur wrist to gain more power to hit it to the backcourt. but u need to hit the shuttle slightly higher so that it will fall straight down.

be accurate. just my 2 cents.