User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by urameatball View Post
    well, I'm just pointing out there's a difference in standards. so just because you can pronate like 'thejym'... doesn't mean you've mastered it.
    Not everyone settles with being mediocre.
    I don't know why it was need to be brought up at all. A beginner comes in asking for some advice on pronation technique.

Do you:
    A) Show/explain the basics
    B) Tell him it will take 3 years to do it to international standard

I went for A)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then explain to him the basics, don't make heat with my comment dude. I was kind of saying don't be too dissapointed if you dont get it in a month and it'll take time.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I DID link to a vid the adequately explains the basics.

I also expressed my opinion that '3 years to learn pronation' is wrong. Construing that as making 'heat' is poor form. In fact I would consider it more harmful to suggest to a beginner that the most basic dynamic portion of the swing could take 3 years to get right. This could be very discouraging.

Pronation is just a muscle contraction (ok, a two-muscle contraction). If you can take a can of coke and then turn it upside down, you can pronate. It isn't difficult.

Getting a basic functional swing with correct grip and pronation should take no more than a matter of weeks under supervision.

Of course the swing taken in its entirety will likely have plenty of room for technical improvement, but here, op was asking about pronation. The major additional points to concentrate on, imo, that should help get a beginner started with suitable motion in this case is grip, body orientation, and strike point. All of this is contained in thejym's video (visually, although not explicitly mentioned).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, whether it's discouraging or encouraging it's up to the person who's taking the advice. All I was saying is it'll take time, just keep practicing. Guess I worded it wrong lol.
    I agree that thejym's video is good for beginners. I thought he wasn't a beginner and was more experienced, but just lacked correct pronation on his smash.
    He obviously doesn't have supervision since he's asking strangers on the internet.. which is also why I said it might take time, thought he was training himself :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    I don't know why it was need to be brought up at all. A beginner comes in asking for some advice on pronation technique.

Do you:
    A) Show/explain the basics
    B) Tell him it will take 3 years to do it to international standard

I went for A)...
    Is funny you say that , because as I remembered, on another thread I was signposting the OP for some nice coaching videos on youtube from Coach Lee to improve his smash as requested , showing the basic/standard technique which was ideal for players who are at beginner or intermediate level to help them with their game and this was what you wrote ;

''The thing is, I'm not sure there is a male player anywhere in the top 30 that smashes like ljb teaches. I would be interested to know of any examples.

'even' the ladies dont use LJB simplistic technique.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYwCdj_SVQQ
    ''
    Last edited by Staiger1; 05-12-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see your point, but its not the same. If you learn ljb method, and then later want to learn the more rotational method, you have to unlearn some stuff. I Pointed out the popular end-goal technique in modern badminton doesn't align with LJB method.

In that thread, I noted that a different technique is more prevalent at top level. You cannot learn that technique as an extension of LJB technique so it is important for learner to know which direction they want to take.

In this thread, the whole '3 year' thing has no benefit for the op.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole 3 years is probably to learn ALL the basic shots including proper footwork (on a once a week playing schedule, minus summer vac, Christmas break...).
    The pronation from thejym is a good start, then come the adaptations. Today's racket technology and speed of play forced everyone to adapt. How often do we find ourselves not able to complete the full 1-4 "proper" clear swing - our opponents don't give us time. I have begun to see Chen Long jumps up and intersects the quick lift with a smash - a smash that is 1,3,4 (no 2, no time for that). IMO, though the swing is more compact, it is also more injury prone. The 2 position actually helps prevent shoulder injuries - as you are leading with your elbow. I think we will see more explosive smashes from top internationals at intersecting low clear, low lift, at the same time, more shoulder injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, okay amleto

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jinchu View Post
    Lol, okay amleto
    well thought-out counter argument. bravo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2