Pronation problem(smashing)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by maxxcavalera, May 9, 2012.

1. maxxcavalera

maxxcavalera Regular Member

Customer Service Assistant
    I've been learning smashing technique from youtube but having problems in doing the right pronation,does anyone have a tips on how to do a correct pronation????:crying:

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

3. jinchu

jinchu Regular Member

That is hard because we can't show you how its done. I've heard it takes 3 years to learn the proper pronation in a chinese badminton school, and if you don't learn it, you're not going to make it to the nationals. :eek:
    Pronation should be relaxed and fluid. From the acceleration of the elbow to the contact and the racquet head going down to your side. Pronation requires ALOT of timing and practice, if you don't practice it, you won't get it. Just remember the squeeze of the handle when you contact the bird, your fingers should not be tense, matter of fact your whole body should be relaxed and composed.

I think you need more practice with the timing and someone to show you the actual pronation of the forearm. Cheers! Hope someone can teach you!:p

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

it doesn't take three years to learn pronation ...

5. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

in my experience, pronation doesn't need a lot of explicit attention. If you are bending your elbow back far enough, the arm turns automatically. If you flex the muscles in your forearm and tricep at the correct time, the arm will turn properly on its own. I've seen people have more problems with forcing the pronation to happen (resulting in a stiff arm) than not pronating at all. If the arm isn't pronating properly, something else is wrong with the stroke that is causing it IMO, usually timing of the body turn/wrist snap/etc.

6. maxxcavalera

maxxcavalera Regular Member

Customer Service Assistant
    Hmm..i will try to post my pronation video in the future maybe you guys could see is there's any improvement in my pronation...thanks

7. jinchu

jinchu Regular Member

He said it takes long to learn the proper pronation and forehand action to be good enough for nationals in China. If you don't learn the proper way and apply it, scouts won't even watch your whole game

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

No he didn't. He said

"I've heard it takes 3 years to learn the proper pronation in a chinese badminton school, ..."

It does not take 3 years to learn proper pronation.

9. chriz

chriz Regular Member

Student
    Before jumping into conclusion... please understand that, Pronation isnt something that you learn by watching videoes. it is through practice and coaching for a few weeks non-stop. furthermore, i realized racquets does have an impact on whether you can throw out a Full swing or not. Depending on your racquet, pronation may not be as apparent. Example: I can feel a huge difference while using pronation techniques with my Arcsaber 8DX, However, when i use the Nanospeed 7000, i literally find pronation to not have much of an impact in comparison to the wristsmash that i perform on it.

10. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    you have to understand badminton school in many Asian countries have EXTREMELY high standards. Their bench warmers are about the same level as national players in most other countries. So yeah, to learn proper pronation according to Chinese badminton school standards, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few years.
    Whereas "proper pronation" according to that 'thejym' video, you can learn that in 2 weeks tops. Sure, many people on badmintoncentral follow that video religiously, but if you show that video in a chinese badminton school, they'll all be ROFL'ing thinking it was a parody.

11. jinchu

jinchu Regular Member

It might not take 3 years for some people, i'm just saying it would take a long time to be good enough for nationals. I just exaggerated it a bit. I'm just saying it takes along time of practice and guidance.

12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

learning how to pronate has minimal correlation to your overall ability. Pronation is a small part of a combination of actions that need to be performed for correct technique.

Let's drop the 'china is awesome zomg!' pretense. The op seems to be beginner asking about pronation. Not how long you have to live at a chinese sports school to be national-level player in China.

:rolleyes:

13. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

In my experience of watching players. There's no difference between how a local advanced player and the best in the world pronates. Thejym video is an excellent video showing how advanced players and upwards hit the shuttle.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

If you know how to throw a football or baseball overhead, you know how to pronate your forearm.

15. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    well, I'm just pointing out there's a difference in standards. so just because you can pronate like 'thejym'... doesn't mean you've mastered it.
    Not everyone settles with being mediocre.

16. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    After watching the pronation video from your beloved ''Thejym'' , I have made the following conclusion.

On that video , he only shown us the basic technique of pronation. There are steps in which advanced players can modify and improve in order to maximize the efficiency of the energy being transferred to the shuttle .i.e. The transition from each steps can be made smoother . Once you get the basic , you will find ways (from practicing), small alterations to make that smash more effective .
    If you look at all the top players they all have mastered the pronation technique , it is the little changes they made (give them the edge) that matters at high level badminton

17. jinchu

jinchu Regular Member

Just understood what the "jym" is lol
    What ever helps is fine bud, every little tip counts =)

#17 jinchu, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  18. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I don't know why it was need to be brought up at all. A beginner comes in asking for some advice on pronation technique.

Do you:
    A) Show/explain the basics
    B) Tell him it will take 3 years to do it to international standard

I went for A)...

19. jinchu

jinchu Regular Member

Then explain to him the basics, don't make heat with my comment dude. I was kind of saying don't be too dissapointed if you dont get it in a month and it'll take time.

20. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I DID link to a vid the adequately explains the basics.

I also expressed my opinion that '3 years to learn pronation' is wrong. Construing that as making 'heat' is poor form. In fact I would consider it more harmful to suggest to a beginner that the most basic dynamic portion of the swing could take 3 years to get right. This could be very discouraging.

Pronation is just a muscle contraction (ok, a two-muscle contraction). If you can take a can of coke and then turn it upside down, you can pronate. It isn't difficult.

Getting a basic functional swing with correct grip and pronation should take no more than a matter of weeks under supervision.

Of course the swing taken in its entirety will likely have plenty of room for technical improvement, but here, op was asking about pronation. The major additional points to concentrate on, imo, that should help get a beginner started with suitable motion in this case is grip, body orientation, and strike point. All of this is contained in thejym's video (visually, although not explicitly mentioned).