Death of the high serve??

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by uselessmail, May 11, 2012.

1. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

I came across this article which mentions the current trend of singles players desisting from playing the High serve and almost always opt for the short serve instead. Is it really that alarming?:confused:

Is it really that big a disadvantage for the server when he serves high? One common refrain given is that you lose the advantage of attack and are on the defensive immediately.

I'm curious, how many of the members here in BC, serve high for the singles game or for that matter, how many players prefer serving high for doubles too? I know that serving high in doubles can be very tricky and often fatal since you do not get as much space behind as you get for the singles. I myself tend to constantly keep mixing both the kinds of serve in doubles so as not to get predictable to the opponent. For singles though, I almost always find myself serving high and only rarely will I serve short.:eek:

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/05/11/the-unsung-death-of-the-high-serve/

2. alexh

alexh Regular Member

3. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

At club level and lower competitive rankings the high serve is still used as the main serve because the opponent does not have the proficiency to make full use of the options a high serve creates. The serving party also gets some more time settling their base.

4. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

It's true that u don't get as much space behind when u serve high in doubles but remember that there are 2 you to cover the court. So I still sometimes serve high but make sure it falls almost perpendicular to the doubles back service line.

Also, make sure that your receiver does not have very strong smashes. If he/she has good smashes I only flick serves once in a great while to keep them from rushing too often to my low serves.

If you serve really high, at least 20ft when it starts to drop then it is not that easy to smash powerfully. Try it!
    ;)

Why? 1st timing is much harder than a shuttle flying toward the rear lines/you. 2nd your stringbed is going to impact the feather 1st before hitting on the cork, losing some of its power.

5. phili

phili Regular Member

I am trying out the short serve in singles at the moment but I don't really like it. Mainly because my short serve does not come as consistently good in singles as it does in doubles. This is probably caused by my serving position being further away from the service line.
    In doubles most of my serves are low short serves because they are pretty good :)D). Almost every time the opponent has to lift it.

As to the high serve in general I don't think it is obsolete by any means. Unless you are playing at a really high level it is still a viable serve.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I will short serve a lot in singles, but mainly because my long serve is not very consistent and is frequently too short. :eek:

7. adrian88

adrian88 Regular Member

Investment Line
    it depends on consistency ... i prefer short serve but the group i join to play with still prefer the high serve that always ends up with a solid smash from the opponent >.<! Depends who you are playing with, not everyone could receive your serve nicely ... change according to the situation? :p

8. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

[SUP]when i still see some professional men's singles players using high serves (at least within the us) then i know its good enough to continue using.[/SUP]