New player, hand pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Adventsparky, May 11, 2012.

1. Adventsparky

Adventsparky New Member

Software developer
    I searched a little for this but mostly found wrist/shoulder problems.

My problem is that after an evening of badminton, particular the following day, my hand is very sensitive, between my fingers and wrist, mostly on the opposite side to my thumb. The type of action that really kicks it off is, if you imagine putting your hand flat on a wall or desk/floor and push yourself away from the wall. With any kind of pressure like that, or just pushing on the little finger side of my palm, it causes a lot of pain. after a 2/3 days it's usually gone again, until I play again.

Have you ever experienced this? Is it a common beginner pain or how I am holding the racket?

2. phili

phili Regular Member

How do you grip your racket? You can get the right grip by "shaking hands" with your racket. Additionally your grip should be kind of loose until the moment you hit the shuttle. I have heard from some beginners who had similar pain.

3. Adventsparky

Adventsparky New Member

Software developer
    I hold it loose most of the time yes. Now that you mention it, I might be guilty of holding it loose while hitting sometimes too. Maybe the force being transferred into the racket is being absorbed by that side of my hand, where the bottom of the racket is.

On reflection, that makes sense really doesn't it? I will try to work on gripping firmly for the moment of impact, that sounds like it could be the problem.

4. tobradex

tobradex Regular Member

IT industry
    I'm not a doctor or a physio therapist so take this opinion with a huge grain of salt. I offer it only as an opinion, but really my advice would be to seek professional medical advice if you are worried something is wrong.

It sounds like to me that you either are developing muscles you never stressed before which would explain the few days of tenderness after playing, or you are developing a tennis elbow like injury. Some beginners I've played with had this from incorrect technique and over stressing their arm/wrist/shoulder.

Hope you get well soon. Good luck.