Victor Nano Ti NS-880

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by zerosaber, May 11, 2012.

1. zerosaber

zerosaber Regular Member

I just ordered a pack of these strings recently. The package of the strings describe "hard feel". Still waiting for them to come. Been looking around for threads/reviews on the string but not luck so far. Has anyone else tried the string out themselves yet?

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I was kindly sent a set by anthemtwins, so I tried it yesterday at 30 lb. Here's a mini-review:

It's a strange-looking string - translucent with spiral threads inside. It feels weird in the hand as well with a crispy, but not rough, coating. It looks and feels like a very thin squash string, in fact. Very little of that phenol smell, so it shouldn't be too greasy. Easy to string, doesn't kink and easy to weave. Pre-stretch didn't give much more than the usual stuff.

It's slightly harder feeling than, say, BG65, but not in the same league as BG80 or VS850, and there's a slight "hollowness" to it. It sounds quite pleasant, though, with some of the metal "ting" of the hard stuff.

Power was pretty good to begin with, and stayed reasonably consistent over my 3 hrs. It plays slightly thicker than its ostensible 0.68 for me. Control is good as well - my serves were extremely tight, and I was finding the top of the net more often than usual. The coating seems very grippy. Can't comment on durability as I never break strings, but it held tension reasonably well.

In short, it's a difficult string for me to classify - it's good at most things, but doesn't really have any standout qualities. The construction is unusual, leading to a kind of "hybrid" feeling somewhere between medium and hard.

#2 Mark A, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  3. zerosaber

zerosaber Regular Member

Thanks Mark! The strings should be coming soon. im hoping that it will be somewhere around Bg80 or Bg65ti for feel. doing a three way comparison between Bg80/ Zymax70 and Ns 880 on the same rackets soon.

4. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

I ordered a pack recently, to be compared with VS-850, BG80, maybe ZM67 as well.

5. zerosaber

zerosaber Regular Member

got my rackets strung today at 29lbs. I have to say ... it is an odd string. Its good.. but there are mixed feelings about it.

Initial thoughts - I looked at the string after it got strung ... and it does not look like 0.68. I had a zymax 70 strung at the same time and zymax 70 looks THINNER than these.

Power - it had good power and a sort of BG65Ti feel to it. But it feels a little more like a slightly loosened Bg65Ti rather than a new freshly strung one. I had a feeling of more power when i did lifts/more wristy shots but when it came to smashes ... i felt it had only a decent amount of power.

Control - I find these strings are better if you like to hit an a more controllable strength instead of that "all out smash". I feel these strings are better for non-hard hitters. But not the best strings for slicing i feel.

Sound- the sound from the strings is pretty decent, but there are better sounds.

Feel - the feel here is where im stumped. The string feels like a hybrid of Bg65ti/Bg80power. Strings like bg80 power, impact feels like old bg65ti/bg80power. There seems to be a delay type of feeling upon impact where zymax70 sends the bird back right away. I will be doing more testing on this string tomorrow.

OVERALL: I do like the string, it's not a bad string but i did wish it had more of a grip to the surface and a "thinner" feel for a 0.68 gauge string. I would suspect the string to be a 0.73 if I looked at it. The string does have potential but right now i have mixed feelings if i would keep it or use zymax70/bg80/bg65ti.

Just like Mark A had said, the string is good in its aspects, but there's nothing aobut it that really stands out and makes you go "Wow I gotta use these".

"my scale for now":

Bg80 > Zymax 70 > NS-880 > Bg65Ti > Bg80power

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

^Yep - looked and played thicker than 0.68. I would have called it 0.73 myself, but my vernier said 0.68-0.71. Odd.

7. zerosaber

zerosaber Regular Member

Maybe its 0.68 for the string without the coating ...?
    also the string feature is "high resilience". Can someone explain to me what that is?

#7 zerosaber, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

"Resilience is the ability of a material to absorb energy when it is deformed elastically, and release that energy upon unloading."

Could be synonymous with "repulsion" in this context, but "repulsion" is so last year.

9. zerosaber

zerosaber Regular Member

ahhh .. maybe that explains the short delay in feeling upon impact. If this string was a racket ...i would say it is an arcsaber 10. The feeling isnt bad though, it allows a split second to do quick placement which isn't bad. But i am a fan of the fast repulsive feeling of bg80.

10. zerosaber

zerosaber Regular Member

I had a second go today with these strings on feather birds. I forgot to mention last time I tested was on plastics. The string on feathers had a much different feel to it. Heres my thoughtspower: power was pretty decent. I found that I prefered the zymax70 on my other racket with than this string. The string gives good power but because the string is a bit thicker you cant really feel the impact of the smash as you would with other strings and therefore feel as if its not giving the expected for a 0.68 string.control: the string felt pretty slippery even on feather birds. My serves are a bit hard to control and not as tight because I add a little slice to them. Placement of shots from smashes was good though. But smaller technical stuff like adding spin/ tumbling was not so great.feel: the feel is what made me decide I preferred the zymax70 racket tonight. It was less feel .. Rather than the sharp crisp feel from other strings.sound: decent sound, but was not as loud as I thought the first time I used itoverall: I prefer using this string for plastic than for feathers. Theres a bit more impact felt from plastics that goes to the elbow when using a hard string. Because this string is more soft/duller feeling it makes plastics more optimal feeling when using this string. Still a good string... but for a person like me who really requires feeling impact/hearing sounds of the impact to gauge my shots, I would say this string is not for me when using feather atleast. My comparison would be a more .. Strong string with a slight nbg 95 type feel on feathers and a looser bg65ti + bg80 power for plastics. Would be a perfect string had it really been 0.68 and more grippy. I would say it feels less crisp and a bit more soft because string is more thick than it actually is.

11. zerosaber

zerosaber Regular Member

sorry the post is a block of text. Im on my phone right after badminton sharing my thoughts. Phone posted reply with a weird layout.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    going to racketsupply.com is dangerous. here is what i ended up with after i visited there...

2012-06-14_14-56-24_973.jpg

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Wow - NS-880 is a "hard" feel!? NS-660 is going to play like a bed of Twizzlers!

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and it does. NS660 is really soft. even softer than BG66UM.

15. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

It's okay - all the ridges help with the control, and red looks great on any racket!

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    might have a hard time threading those shared holes.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

... and kwun wins the thread.

18. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    humpty bumpty

I still dont get how Victor decides on the feel of the string
    VS850 is pretty stiff and its only labeled as medium while NS880 is kinda soft and is labeled as hard

same goes for racket ratings

19. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Really? I'm testing the NS-880Ti on my main racket (N55) now. It's dull and HARD string to me.
    It feels like a BG80 but with much less repulsion.
    The last strings on my main racket were ZM67 and ZM65. They're extremely crispy compared to NS880Ti.
    Power seems to be equal to the probably best string VS850 and the Zymax strings, but it's just dull...

Maybe the string is still in a "break in" phase? Who knows... But it will be the last NS880Ti on my N55...

20. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

I have a pair of MX-London, one is strung with BG80 and the other one with NS880ZTi. Both tensioned @ 26x28Lbs by the same stringer. I found the NS880ZTi is less repulsive compared to BG80 which makes smash return easier by a simple touch, and even though the label says "Hard Feeling", it is still not as hard as BG80.
    I like the NS880ZTi for more control at the net as I often make the shuttle floating high far from the net tape with the BG80, especially during the low double serves. Also, I can control clear shots more consistently with the NS880ZTi.
    BG80 produces a higher pitch tone at the same tension so when I smash it will sound like "BANGGG..." while the NS880ZTi has a lower/bassy tone like a "BOOOMM..."

Both are definitely good strings, can easily become one of the high quality benchmark in the market. The only major drawback from the NS880ZTi is the coating which is very easily peeled-off after a few smashes.