Head Power Helix 8000 - A review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by quarduroy, May 13, 2012.

1. quarduroy

quarduroy New Member

Hi All,

I've been reading BC forums for some time, and since i've taken so much knowledge from this site, I decided it was time to start giving back. I am going to try to review equipment that I come by but haven't yet seen reviews. I might also add my own reviews of already-reviewed equipment in an effort to add another opinion to the knowledge base. Without further adieu:

Head Power Helix 8000

Pros: Easy to maneuver
    Cons: lack of power, vibrations, not good from back court

This racket makes sense for a doubles player who mostly plays at the net. You can control net drops and general net play very well due to the maneuverability of the racket and large surface area of the racket face. That being said, don't try to clear from the back of the court or smash with this racket!

It's a decent defensive racket because it is head light and extremely quick due to its low weight. The shaft is incredibly flexible, and combined with rotational flexibility in the head, you tend to lose a fair amount of power with your shots. Normally that flex should give you some extra kick in your shots, but even if you hit the shuttle in the racket's sweet spot, you generate little power. There are lots of vibrations during vigorous play, and I think that some of the energy from a good shot gets dissipated through these vibrations to your arm rather than to the shuttle. Clears don't go far, smashes have little power and are slow. You can feel the racket twisting and deforming when you hit the shuttle hard, as in a clear from the back of the court.

Overall, the head power helix 8000 is a doubles racket for a defensive type of player who likes to control the net.

Power: 5/10
    Maneuverability: 9.5/10
    Control: 9/10
    Flex: High
    Style: Doubles

Matt