Racket to give better baseline to baseline return

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by exkaizen, May 15, 2012.

1. exkaizen

exkaizen Regular Member

Hi,

I'm a beginner and currently using Yonex Arcsaber 009dx. I'm having problem to do baseline to baseline... seems it's lack of power... besides the technique I need to improve, I plan to get another racket that might give me more power to return the shuttle to baseline. I plan to get head heavy racket and was thinking to get VT9 since lack of fund to get two digits VT.

Using Arcsaber 009dx, I don't have problem with smashes and net-play... the only problem to hit the shuttle to baseline.

Is VT9 suitable for the task?

Could any of you suggest other brands/racket to give more power to counter for this issue.

If possible the price should be between RM240 - RM350 / USD80 - USD120 / SGD100 - SGD150

2. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

No wonder, when you are a beginner and play with a racket with an extra stiff shaft.

I play a Voltric 5 and can highly recommend it even for beginners. It is heavier than the VT7 and slighly head heavier too, but maneuverability is great for a head heavy racket. And with the medium flexible shaft, you shouldn't have problems to reach the end of the court. I recommend it over the VT9, because this is a stiff racket too and many people reported, that it isn't that easy to handle ... not so the VT5, which has a nice combination of control and power.

Read UK coach Paul's VT5 review.

3. exkaizen

exkaizen Regular Member

how about the string tension... ?

4. badmintanfreak

badmintanfreak Regular Member

sales
    arc 9dx

mate if u start to use vt5 or vt7 then u will have problem with arc 9dx cause of the stiffness. i have problem with arc 9dx. i think its not user friendly imo. i've vt80 n arc9dx
    i love vt80 along with mx60

5. exkaizen

exkaizen Regular Member

yeah... it will give problem when using arc... if I'm comfortable with medium flex + head heavy... will let go the arc 9dx...

6. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

Let's say the Arc 9DX isn't a beginner racket ... I bet some experienced players might love it.

If budget is a matter, I highly recommend to test the VT5.

7. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    if u hv budget, i reckon go for mx60... it great racket for all badminton player need for their racket works in term of maneuvering, power, speed, control and stability.

8. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

I'm very curious to test it ... too bad I need to wait until August, the Europe release.

It's worth to read UK coach Paul's review.

9. exkaizen

exkaizen Regular Member

IMHO arc 9dx is a good racket for me... only for clear shuttle to baseline require more power which not in the racket.... I plan to get the VT5 first since I believe its cheaper than MX60... if head heavy racket suitable for me... than will thinking to get the MX60... in future

10. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

It's not really the racket, but your arm power and technique, which is required for such a stiff racket. Stiff rackets are for very advanced players, not beginners.

The Meteor is much more expensive ... around the double price.

Most coaches recommend medium flexible rackets for beginners. Some of them recommend even head heavy rackets, because they give more power. Usually head heavy rackets have the downside of having a bad maneuverability, so having a disadvantage in defence and net play. This is not the case with the VT5, I can assure you.

BTW, I tested the VT5 and the VT80 in a large shop and the VT5 was the clear winner for my taste.

Nevertheless I'm curious about the MX60, which isn't available in Europe so far. I expect it to have even better maneuverability compared to the VT5, because it seems to be a bit less head heavy. But the flex seems to be very similar.

Racket choice is a very individual phenomenon, but I would expect, that you love the VT5 as I do.

It would help, if you have the chance to swing it in a shop.

#10 Aymara, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  11. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

String tension plays a role too ... the higher the tension, the less good for beginners. The VT5 comes factory strung with 21 lbs as far I remember, which is perfect for me, because I play both feather and plastic shuttle cocks. If you only play feather up to 24 lbs might be fine.

Usually I would recommend 20 lbs for beginners, which is standard factory stringing tension in Europe, where beginners usually only play plastic, not feather.

Playing too high tensions might lead to arm injuries for beginners, especially when playing plastic shuttlecocks.

PS: Lower tension also gives more reach.

12. exkaizen

exkaizen Regular Member

thanks for the advice... thinking to string it at 24lbs

13. Desouled

Desouled Regular Member

Desk
    I used to have this problem with not hitting the back line, and since then I've bought loads of rackets - more than 30 to be exact. I'm able to perform a larger array of shots now, but I can honestly say the racket doesn't have a large part to play in it.

For about 2 months, I received 1-hour long weely training sessions with a coach to work out the techniques. Thought the total cost added up to more than what I'd pay for a shining new racket, the results are worth 100 more.

For each hour you spend on the internet researching what racket will improve your [INSERT TYPE OF SHOT], you're better off training up on your technique / muscle / agility.

I'd keep your racket, lower the string tension, and get to the courts to work up a sweat. All the best!

14. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

Definitely the cheapest thing to try first ... getting a trainer is also a very good advice. Nevertheless ... very stiff rackets and high tensions are not for beginners.

PS: Because the 9DX is extra stiff, I would lower the tension below 24 lbs, maybe 20-22 lbs.

#14 Aymara, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  15. exkaizen

exkaizen Regular Member

For the time being can't allocate for a coach (still agree with a coach you will improve tremendously).

The only thing is I will restring my 9dx to 22lbs and still get VT5 and string it at 24lbs (although initially to let go 9dx if comfortable with VT5, I had a second thought to make it as a spare)

but seriously thank you very much to all of you to give advices. :thumbs: :)

16. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

Start with Youtube video ... just search there for badminton training ... you'll find tons of them, some being very good.

I would recommend trying the factory stringing first, which I find quite good.

17. exkaizen

exkaizen Regular Member

Hrmm... In my country it came without string... So can't try the factory strung...Yeah... Saw a lot of youtube vids...

18. Timz :]

Timz :] Regular Member

Please don't spend too much on a different racket. It won't really help.

19. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    for those who love badminton so much they are willing to spend their money for badminton...huhuhu

20. Timz :]

Timz :] Regular Member

You're right. One can't easily fight the impulse of spending for something they really like. But as for the question on clears, I must say that most rackets would allow you to do deep clears. I speak from experience. I had this racket which was during my training days with my coach. My clears were rather short. After a few months, my clears would now usually go long unless I hold back a little or do it real high. The irony. Same racket though($45 worth, cheap kind). Although the sad part is that I blamed the racket at first which made me buy pricey one. Still didn't help.

Just to add, make sure you're using the proper shuttle speed when playing. I assume you know how it's tested right.